2017 CX-5 - Headlight warning light going on and off…

OK, after tailgating several cars over some bumpy roads, it does not seem as bad as I had observed before. Maybe I was just overly sensitive to it earlier, but as suggested, if it really acts up, I'll bring it in for a check. It's almost like we have 2 babies in the house, a 3 month old boy and a 4 month old car.

Make sure that if you do take it back, you can reproduce the issue

Hello. Few days ago led headlight warning light came on and auto function dosen't work anymore (the adaptiv led headlight). I'm drivng Mazda CX5 2016 model. How can I get rid of that issue. My problem is that the mazda dealer is 3 hours away and I don't have much time to go there. Any help?

Hello. Few days ago led headlight warning light came on and auto function dosen't work anymore (the adaptiv led headlight). I'm drivng Mazda CX5 2016 model. How can I get rid of that issue. My problem is that the mazda dealer is 3 hours away and I don't have much time to go there. Any help?
Sorry to say there’s no easy fix other than to have a Mazda computer to diagnose the error code. My guess is either the auto headlight control module or front facing camera, if you have optional i-ActiveSense package on your 2016 CX-5, is malfunctioning, or the mechanical moving parts of the adaptive front-lighting system (AFS) are worn out. No matter it could be an expensive fix.

Sorry to say there’s no easy fix other than to have a Mazda computer to diagnose the error code. My guess is either the auto headlight control module or front facing camera, if you have optional i-ActiveSense package on your 2016 CX-5, is malfunctioning, or the mechanical moving parts of the adaptive front-lighting system (AFS) are worn out. No matter it could be an expensive fix.

Can it be because my headlights are not leveled. I went to the local service and they leveled it, but after some time they were again unleveled. Note. I changed left headlight because of drl not working. And I don't think that front facing camera is problem because lane keeping asisst works normaly.

Last edited:
Can it be because my headlights are not leveled. I went to the local service and they leveled it, but after some time they were again unleveled. Note. I changed left headlight because of drl not working. And I don't think that front facing camera is problem because lane keeping asisst works normaly.
No. The manual adjustment can be performed on leveling, but it shouldn’t trigger any warnings from this mechanical adjustments. The auto leveling based on a sensor on the rear suspension is the one possibly cased the warning, but the left-right adjustment on AFS can also cause the warning too.

You didn’t mention that YOU changed the left headlight because its LED DRL failed. There’s a safety recall for these failing LED DRLs on the 2016 CX-5, and Mazda will replace BOTH LED headlight units for free. At this stage, if you haven’t had the recall performed, you may try to have a Mazda dealer perform the recall, and see what they say about the whole issue.

No. The manual adjustment can be performed on leveling, but it shouldn’t trigger any warnings from this mechanical adjustments. The auto leveling based on a sensor on the rear suspension is the one possibly cased the warning, but the left-right adjustment on AFS can also cause the warning too.

You didn’t mention that YOU changed the left headlight because its LED DRL failed. There’s a safety recall for these failing LED DRLs on the 2016 CX-5, and Mazda will replace BOTH LED headlight units for free. At this stage, if you haven’t had the recall performed, you may try to have a Mazda dealer perform the recall, and see what they say about the whole issue.
I didn't changed it myself. It was at mazda dealer. But they changed only left the faulty one. And can this warning be seen on diagnostics?

Last edited:
I didn't changed it myself. It was at mazda dealer. But they changed only left the faulty one. And can this warning be seen on diagnostics?
This isn’t right as the recall is to replace BOTH LED headlights, working or not, unless it had been replaced before with newer manufacture date.

Yes, Mazda dealer can use its Mazda computer to interpret any warning lights displayed in your instrument panel.

This isn’t right as the recall is to replace BOTH LED headlights, working or not, unless it had been replaced before with newer manufacture date.

Yes, Mazda dealer can use its Mazda computer to interpret any warning lights displayed in your instrument panel.
Thanks very much.

Back