2017 CX-5 - Headlight warning light going on and off…

:
2020 CX-5 Premium
So, just like the title says, my headlight warning light (amber) started blinking last week. I cleaned the windshield around the sensor area thinking it was blocked but it stayed on. Then a couple of days later it went off. Then it came back on again. Now it is off. The only thing I can think of that seems to trigger it is driving into the sun on hot days. It is in the high 90's in Dallas right now.

I'm assuming no one else has had this issue since I haven't seen it posted. Anyway, it is not currently blinking so I won't be taking it to the dealer. Any ideas would be welcome.

So, just like the title says, my headlight warning light (amber) started blinking last week. I cleaned the windshield around the sensor area thinking it was blocked but it stayed on. Then a couple of days later it went off. Then it came back on again. Now it is off. The only thing I can think of that seems to trigger it is driving into the sun on hot days. It is in the high 90's in Dallas right now.

I'm assuming no one else has had this issue since I haven't seen it posted. Anyway, it is not currently blinking so I won't be taking it to the dealer. Any ideas would be welcome.
Is headlight warning light the headlight on indicator which is green and now changed to amber and blinking?

Odd things happens

Odd thing happening ... is your headlight on "Auto" ???

I only have the base "Sport" 2017 cx 5 so I don't have Auto ...
I find headlight is Always on while vehicle is in motion( in drive )

even with my headlight switch on " OFF " the DRL will go off and LED low beam
will come on when I enter a parking garage or somewhere shady ...
and then goes away (switch) back to DRL mode once back in sunlight....

Odd thing happening ... is your headlight on "Auto" ???

I only have the base "Sport" 2017 cx 5 so I don't have Auto ...
I find headlight is Always on while vehicle is in motion( in drive )

even with my headlight switch on " OFF " the DRL will go off and LED low beam

will come on when I enter a parking garage or somewhere shady ...
and then goes away (switch) back to DRL mode once back in sunlight....

According to USA brochure, base model sport has LED headlights with auto off and daytime running lights

So you actually have them

According to USA brochure, base model sport has LED headlights with auto off and daytime running lights

So you actually have them

I think auto off means they will turn off after you turn the car off, while the Auto switch setting means the system detects the amount of daylight and turns the headlights on or off as necessary based on that. I think the base model has the former but not the latter.

EDIT: The exterior specs for the Sport and Touring models on the Mazda USA web site say "Auto off headlights", while the Grand Touring model says "Auto on/off headlights".

Last edited:
I think auto off means they will turn off after you turn the car off, while the Auto switch setting means the system detects the amount of daylight and turns the headlights on or off as necessary based on that. I think the base model has the former but not the latter.

You are correct.

LED should always been on unless the hack mentioned elsewhere is done.

Isn't the Sport's DRL based on part of the low beam LED (scratch) The reason I ask is the GT gets LED signature daytime running lights which is a different assembly to the Sport/Touring

So I know it has been a couple of months, but my amber headlight warning light just never went off so I took the CX-5 to the dealership for service. They had to keep it overnight because the model is so new they had no idea what was causing it. Turns out they needed to adjust the trajectory of the headlights. That fixed it. Just in case anyone else runs into this issue.

So I know it has been a couple of months, but my amber headlight warning light just never went off so I took the CX-5 to the dealership for service. They had to keep it overnight because the model is so new they had no idea what was causing it. Turns out they needed to adjust the trajectory of the headlights. That fixed it. Just in case anyone else runs into this issue.

A simple fix as it turns out

How easy is it to adjust/tighten or open up the LED headlight for the 2017? The passenger side headlight for some reason jitters up and down over bumps -- it didn't used to do that.

How easy is it to adjust/tighten or open up the LED headlight for the 2017? The passenger side headlight for some reason jitters up and down over bumps -- it didn't used to do that.

See here , might help (uhm)

'17 CX-5 Headlight Jitters

If one of your headlights suddenly starts jittering over bumps, this indicates something in the auto-leveling mechanism is either loose or broken. Dont try to adjust anything and take it to your Mazda dealer for warranty service and replacement.

OK, after tailgating several cars over some bumpy roads, it does not seem as bad as I had observed before. Maybe I was just overly sensitive to it earlier, but as suggested, if it really acts up, I'll bring it in for a check. It's almost like we have 2 babies in the house, a 3 month old boy and a 4 month old car.

Back