'16 CX-5 Sport 2.5L Drive Belt tensioner is leaking

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport
I took my 2016 CX-5 Sport 2.5L to the dealer for an oil change and the dealer is telling me that the Drive Belt Tensioner is leaking. The vehicle has about 51,700 miles on it.

The part is about $150 and another $170 in labor to install it. They said the belt is fine.

Anyone has had this issue? Did you replace the drive belt tensioner with the Mazda part or an aftermarket part?

Dealer told me the same when I took my '16 Mazda6 GT in for oil change. The guy also said my brake pad was at 3mm with a 6mm writing crossed out. I tended not to believe that guy and everything he said to me... so the leak so claimed is under watch now. He wanted $500 for brake pad job, while another dealer 40 miles away charged $210.... Some dealers are willing to say and do many things to lighten your wallets. I took it to my friend who runs an independent shop, he said the pads are fine. I could go another 20k with them...

I took my 2016 CX-5 Sport 2.5L to the dealer for an oil change and the dealer is telling me that the Drive Belt Tensioner is leaking. The vehicle has about 51,700 miles on it.

The part is about $150 and another $170 in labor to install it. They said the belt is fine.

Anyone has had this issue? Did you replace the drive belt tensioner with the Mazda part or an aftermarket part?
This belt tensioner failure due to leak is pretty common for CX-5 or other SkyActive-G models. You can get OEM tensioner online for much lower price than $150. You may consider to get serpentine belt and even an inner water pump belt replaced at the same time to save the labor cost if you have some reputable garage to do the job. It’s an easy job for DIYer too.

OP, search for threads relating to the leaking tensioner.It's common problem as yrwei52 said above.I bought one for a little over 100$ delivered from a Mazda dealer in Florida and changed it myself.Mazda made a change/improvement and the replacement had a suffix"B" IIRC so I wanted a Mazda part instead of some AZ/AA/OR aftermarket part made in El Cheapistan.
I read somewhere where some guy refilled his leaker with thick oil or something and reinstalled it.If mine leaks again I just may investigate this.Afterall, the only thing "hydraulic" about this tensioner is the fluid damping in compression to prevent belt whiplash.The belt tension is still applied with a spring just like other tensioners.

I saw on RockAuto they have a Gates and ACDelco belt tensioner for $67 max.. I believe both of them provide lifetime warranty on the part. I was thinking of going with an AC Delco part.. Do you guys recommend using either brand?

Last edited:
I saw on RockAuto they have a Gates and ACDelco belt tensioner for $67 max.. I believe both of them provide lifetime warranty on the part. I was thinking of going with an AC Delco part.. Do you guys recommend using either brand?
Since I always DIY, I’d rather to get more expensive OEM parts making sure the good quality and fit. Lifetime warranty for such part is meanness to me as the labor of my time is more expensive.

If I have to choose one between the two, Gates is the one, not AC Delco.

Last edited:
Should I get the serpintine belt changed when the tensioner is being changed? The vehicle has 51, 700 miles on it. Should I use a Mazda belt or like a dayco belt?

Should I get the serpintine belt changed when the tensioner is being changed? The vehicle has 51, 700 miles on it. Should I use a Mazda belt or like a dayco belt?
If you’re going to DIY, use OEM parts. Yes, you should get the serpentine belt, and even the inner water pump belt although the water pump belt usually lasts a lot longer, replaced at the same time to save the labor cost. And check the price for OEM parts at BAM, they may not be much more expensive than those aftermarket parts.

looks like they quoted full retail on the part

Yea, around 150$ is retail price on tensioner.My dealer parts department quoted me about 155$ and that may not have included tax.That's why I shopped online.It's nice that another Mazda dealer can sell it for about 50-60 bucks less.Good luck with whatever you decide.

I've had good experience with my local Toyota dealer price matching online dealers parts pricing. I have not had a need to test Mazda price matching but it doesn't hurt to ask. Though now that I look at BAM it is not a dealership so price matching may not work.

maybe find a price on:

or this site
which is this dealer:

so perhaps you can price match against them.

something similar to:
"Will you price match another Mazda dealer? I am seeing a lower price from Joe Maus Mazda out of North Carolina.."

anyways good luck -- let us know which direction you go.

I bought my tensioner online from Cox Mazda in Florida.I bought my brake pads online from Mazda dealer in Arizona(used their ebay store for this purchase).They advertise online so easy to find.

Back