13B-MSP Renesis

orion411

:
No Mazda yet. Looking at 13B-MSP Renesis. So probably RX-8
Im looking to buy a Mazda with the 13B-MSP Renesis engine based on the fact that it is normally aspirated and well suited to running hydrogen and petrol. I'm planning on modifying it with a GEET plasma vortex fuel reformer. Is the 2004-2011 RX-8 the only car with this engine?

The following info is what led me to decide on this engine.

Mazda 13B-MSP Renesis has 14% lighter rotors and 20% lighter flywheel than the 13B. These improvements allow the engine to rev 8200RPM. Naturally aspirated 13B-MSP Renesis engine manages to have an output of 250hp. It won International Engine of the Year and Best New Engine awards 2003 and also holds the "2.5 to 3 liter" (note that the engine itself is 1.3 liter) size award for 2003 and 2004, where it is considered a 2.6 L engine. Finally, it was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2004 and 2005. The Renesis has also been adapted for a dual-fuel use, allowing it to run on gasoline or hydrogen.

A rotary engine is especially well-suited for burning hydrogen since it uses separate chambers for induction and combustion. This overcomes the backfiring issues often faced when using hydrogen in piston engines.
The Wankel engine success for direct hydrogen combustion comes from its intake and combustion stratification.

From a paper in 1971, Abstract Fuel volatility plays an important part in the drive-ability of a Wankel engine because there is a tendency for the rich portions of the charge to concentrate at the trailing side of the combustion space. Even if this is still an issue in the newer engine designs the properties of GEET gas should overcome this issue.

This was also interesting to read regarding timing, because I thought rotary engines always fire at TDC. Hmmm who told me that?
Another quirkish tendency is how the rotary reacts to timing. From a timing standpoint it is important to do all mixture and tuned intake length adjustments with the ignition timing slightly retarded, says Jim. This means about 22 degrees BTDC maximum for stock and street port engines, 19 degrees BTDC maximum for Bridge and Peripheral intake port engines, and 10 degrees BTDC maximum for highly boosted engines. This assumes you are firing leading and trailing ignitions at the same time, which I recommend, and no vacuum advance. After all other tuning efforts are completed; start advancing the timing, preferably in steps of 1/2 degree. At the first sign that additional timing isnt giving more power, STOP and back up! Further advance can be harmful to the engine.

Does anyone have an experience with this engine?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better engine suited for multi-fuel? The GEET plasma vortex fuel reformer turns petrol or diesel fuel into helium, hydrogen and an element not on the periodic table named pangeetium by the inventor.

Thanks for your attention.

Back