08 CX9 is the worst automobile I have owned

1 year 1 month and 20K miles on the 08 CX-9 AWD. I'm getting exactly the MPG I thought I would when I researched it. 18 MPG combined. Got 22 MPG on long trip on I95.

Only issue is warped brake rotors which seem to happen on more cars than not these days. I've had the throttle issue once but it hasn't returned.

Other than that, rock solid. Everything is as expected. I find if you research and read review articles about the vehicle you're interested in then there aren't many surprises.

I would love to get 18MPG combined. I'm lucky to get 16MPG combined at that is with 2/3 of my daily commute on the highway.

Have to chime in on Mazda service.....CRAP! (2007 touring) Had creaking clanking, crunching noises coming from right front side when it hits dips or up embankments first. I thought it has to be strut, bushings, crossarm, etc. The first time at dealer they lubed it...WTF. Noise came back immediately so I drove it some more and noise got worse and now clicking noises as well. 2nd time back to dealer they stopped the clicking noises only. I went back a third time and they said it was strut mount. They fixed it and now quiet.
Then same exact noises on left front. I have now had that side done twice and still have noises. WTF, it seems like I've been there 5 times for the same problem. And according to my work invoices they replaced the exact same strut mount parts both times on the left front. I find that HIGHLY unlikely. New parts don't go bad in a matter of weeks. I now will bring it back for a third time for this side to be fixed. I guess third time is the charm for them even when they know what the problem is. I'm beginning to think they are like the health insurance companies "deny all claims". Unless the customer keeps bringing it back. My warranty runs out soon so I definitely want this fixed. First time Mazda buyer, last time Mazda buyer. .02 cents.

Last edited:
I went round and round with my front end creaking and groaning and clicking until Mazda stepped in and got me an appointment with our original dealer to try again. THEN the dealer was more than cooperative and got the problems fixed. Turned out to be almost nothing, even though it sounded like the car was falling apart.

Remember, dealers are independent from the manufacturers.

I'm VERY curious to find out what the "almost nothing" was and what did they do/replace to fix it? Please let me know. Thanks.

I once had a piece a metal trapped between brake pad and rotor in my BMW.
It sounded like the brake is shot. Once the piece of metal was off, all went back to normal.
That is "almost nothing" in my case.

You know that dealers are very reluctant to track down noises problem because
- it takes time
- you CAN'T really charge customers a lot for doing that (they scream at you!)
The most common way is to brush it off, "it is normal", "they all do that"...
All dealers of all brands are similar when it comes to diagnosing noises problem.
Be patient. If dealers refuse to help, like SportOwner did, go up the chain to corporate Mazda and
raise your case there.

I'm willing to bet many of issues communicated on this forum are a small sample representation of quality issues happening with the CX9 and are in no manner a true reflection of the quality of this automobile (check all the major auto reviews documented out there). Even if 5% of the overall CX9 owners have serious quality issues that still means you have 95% of the owners who don't right?

Being a manufacturing engineer I can tell you its not uncommon for a major car producer or manufacture to have up to 5% quality control issues escape the production line (to to defects or design flaws before corrected) given the shear volume of units being produced/sold world wide. That would equate to potentially hundreds or thousands of units (depending on the total output of units). A 5% defect rate is considered pretty damn good in the manufacturing industry, especially on a relatively new car model.

I have only read a few folks on this forum (which is indeed NOT a total representation of the all the CX9 owners out there but rather a small random sample) and it tends to overwhelmly lean towards the positive side rather than the negative.

I spent more than a year researching cars for my family that would provide room (w/third row & cargo), comfort, some sport type handling (i.e. fun to drive), good looks and reliability which time and time again came to the CX9. To satisfy all this criteria meant I had to spend either quite a bit on a luxury CUV or settle for a Honda/Toyota/Subaru. I've owned both Toyota's and Hondas for years and I have to say they are the most boring and plain jane CUV's out there and drive like a tank. The Subaru, although the interior was very well designed style wise didn't come close to the performance or handling of the CX9. Not to mention IMO the CX9 looks a hell of lot more sporty than the Tribeca does.

Now I have never owned a Mazda before but both my brothers did and never had one issue. They come very close to Toyota and Honda in terms of quality and are catching up quick (on par with Subaru & Nissan) and in almost every case are far higher in quality to American CUV's IMO. Now I could eat crow in another year or two with my CX9 but I have faith it will perform for years to come. I've got 32K trouble free miles thus far with only having to machine my front rotors (which is NOT uncommon for a CUV of his size and weight). ZOOM-ZOOM!!

Just my .02.....

Last edited:
Well said and I totally agree with you NWCX9.

To be honest I reckon the original post from "LOVER" was probably bogus and achieved the desired reaction from someone who possibly supports another brand of vehicle.

I had a chuckle to myself about how passionate and emotional we can all be when our buttons are pushed.

I think my CX9 is great...not perfect......just great. At the end of the day my wife & kids travel safely in a vehicle that meets our needs, I can afford to keep it running and that's all that really matters to me.

Aussie

Last edited:
I used this site to help me research the CX9 when we were shopping for a "new" (used) car for the wife this summer. We bought a '07 CX9 and have been very very pleased with it over the past 4-5 months. On the MPG angle, during the wife's normal drives around town & to & from work, she gets about 15mpg, but we took it on a 1500 mile round trip this summer and got 22-23 mpg per tank (even clocked a 24.3 on one tank!), which was very pleasing to see. For a V-6, AWD, 4600 pound vehicle carrying 5 passengers and all their gear, I'd say that's pretty damn good.

Back