08' 5dr Rear wiper spray. . .or dribble

hey all. i got a 08 mazda3 in october, and did not test the rear wiper fluid spray till it started snowing. Either way, i'm wondering what yours is like. Mine is not a spray. it just kindof dribbles down the middle of the rear window. it has power, but its like it is spraying against some plastic which causes it to just fall in a thicker stream rather than spread out and spray.

it seems to work if i leave the wiper on long enough to pass the stream a couple times, but a 'fan' shaped spray would be more 'normal' if you ask me.

I did take my car in for its first oil change for free, and had them look at it. . the said it was normal, but i dont think they understood what i was saying.

SHORT VERSION:
QUESTION: How does your rear nozzle spray?

Mine is the same way. Thought it was wierd too but I have never had a car with a rear wiper so I'm not much help.

Rear Wiper Washer

They all dribble, our old 323 Hatch was the same (when it worked).
Better than nothing at all, but definetly not very efficient ! (dunno)

thanks a lot for the replies all. I've been wondering for a few months now if that was normal or not. what crap! haha. wonder if there is a mod for that

It is shooting downward and in the back, so it could be built to dribble down instead of just shooting as gravity and velocity might make that a problem. Along with the dribble, I get a little bit mist that get's sent into the windshield of the car behind me, I kind of enjoy doing that and see them turn on their windshield wipers.

mine just comes out, no spray...its funny, u gota time it up sometimes to get the whole windshield wet so the wiper spreads the water across

Its going to be interesting to see how good my body shop really is. Hopefully the dribble/spray will be the same once the new door is in installed.

I don't know if you got the mazdaspeed version but mine shoots out like a rocket everytime I hit the gas pedal don't even need to turn it on .....(wedge)

I've actually noticed now that it has a mind of it's own. Sometimes I get nothing more than the dribble, sometimes I get a nice decent spray just like the front nozzles. That said, even after it sprays properly, water will continue to dribble out for 10 minutes after.

My old Focus had the same problem...I guess Mazda dove into an old Focus parts bin and stole a few pieces ;)

SHORT VERSION:
QUESTION: How does your rear nozzle spray?

Everyone's sprays crappy and all the dealers will tell you it's normal (but truth is a design overlook or compromise).

My impression is that the nozzle is directed directly into the wall of the little well in the spoiler. I took a couple pics but I'm not sophisticated enough about photo lighting so the pic from inside the glass didn't work. You can get an idea though by the outside photo I took. If you look at your own you'll see the obstructed perspective of the nozzle.

Someone ought to have a second person spray while you look at it. My bet is it's spraying straight into the recess walls (wait I already said that). I think I might just take a short video with my cheap camera.

Solutions would be to either a) modify the spoiler well or b) re-orient/reposition the spray nozzle so spray exits the well.

Attachments

• DSC00867.JPG
    DSC00867.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 258
Yup, I have the same issue.

And yes, the rear wiper is the same as on the back of the Focus. I stood between my car and my dads Focus and stared at all the stupid similarities - then again, its the same engine, too, but ours is way more worked over. ;) (thumb)

Well, the mpg file was too big but it clearly showed the spray blasting right into the glass, not into the plastic. This explains the fine mist and drizzle seen.

Funny, I managed to knock my camera to the pavement not once, but TWICE, because I was too stupid to raise the wiper (and I was cold).

Now, for a fix? Different nozzle or orientation?

Last edited:
Back