'04 RX-8 Smoke on start, hot start issues, etc.

proteqe

:
03.5 MSP Ti
Here's the condensed version of my situation:
94k miles, bone stock RX-8 minus Injen intake. Bought it from a guy who bought it from another guy (lol) who let it sit 2-3 months. Car had a blown tire when I went to go look at it, so I couldn't drive it. Dude started up the car and it ran fine until it got to operating temp; that's when it shut off. You get on the key and try to start it but it won't for another 15-20 mins or so. Ended up buying it for a pretty fair price as the shell was gorgeous and interior was in excellent shape as well, even if seals turned out to be toast. I decided to put fresh gas in it and spark plugs, old plugs had a bunch of carbon deposit on them. Also ran a bottle of Seafoam through it which is what I believe made it start to smoke something serious. I'm talking clouds on the ground smoke, lol. I had to wait till it got dark out so my neighbors didn't think there was a fire going on next door. I ran the car pretty hard and the smoking seemed to die down until eventually it was only smoking a liiiiiittle bit. But now, I'm back to having the same no hot start issue. (dunno)

Compression numbers read well the first time I checked. (pre Seafoam)
I'm supposed to be having a guy who is good with rotaries swing by and look at the car but I am almost certain my motor has to come out. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

How'd you check the compression...

Hot start issues are, 99% of the time a compression loss issue. MAYBE a starter. Is it the original engine? What kind of condition are the coils in? Any misfire codes? Get on the highway and accelerate at WOT all the way through your RPM range and see if you get a flashing MIL at high RPMs <-- Do so completely legally and at your own risk.

Here's the list I'd start with, in this order. Hot start issues are pretty common with rotary engines and it's usually not a good sign.

Compression
Injectors
Vacuum leaks
Coolant/Intake Air sensors
BAC

Back