2002 Protege5 starting issues

:
USA
:
2002 Protege5
I’m new to forums and I was wanting to see If anyone could help, my problem occurred roughly 8-10 months ago, have a 5spd 02 P5 and one day while on my way home, my car decided to choke when I hit my throttle, when I let off of it it’ll idle like normal, put it in 1st and started choking again then stalled out. Finally got it home and tried cranking it up and nothing, thought it was a miss fire, replaced the spark plugs, nothing, replaced the in tank fuel assembly, nothing, also replaced the fuel pump relay and still nothing. Did some bench testing on it, fuel pump does work by grounding out the diagnostic terminal under the hood for the fuel pump to the negative side of the battery and I heard the fuel pump kick on, fuel was going through to the injectors also. Pump relay was tested and is good. Tested to see if any spark was coming out of the spark plug boot and got no spark, the coil packs were only about a year old so I figure they are ok. I read up in the Haynes online manual for this car to see if I could find were any grounding points are and wouldn’t know where to spot these. No engine code came on for anything except for the O2 sensors and a catalytic temp reading, so I replaced the sensors and the cat coming off of the manifold. Tried to crank after that and nothing, engine is turning, so it’s not locked up but still isn’t cranking. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it!! Been stuck in this issue for a while. I’ll try and update more when I can.

Check your engine fuse in the fuse box inside the car near the driver's footwell.

Check your Crank Position Sensor and it's wiring harness.

If the ECU doesn't receive a crank signal, it shuts down the engine by killing the spark and shutting off the fuel.

There's been a bunch of cases where the wires leading to the crank sensor rubbed through the casing and grounded out to the engine, killing the car.

The engine will run without Cam Position information but will die instantly without Crank info.
There is a code for the crank sensor but the car dies so fast, it doesn't have time to register the code.

Inspect the toothed ring on the crank pulley and make sure it is in alignment and gapped correctly.

Here's a link to the Factory Service Manual.

Here's a related thread...

Last edited:
I wouldn't assume anything is good.
Do you have spark on any cylinder or no spark at all?

He's probably getting one or two sparks per cylinder until his ECU shuts him down.

The ECU allows one or two revolutions of the engine while it looks for crank data then shuts down the engine.

It's easy to miss that first spark.

A blown fuse will give no spark at all.

Last edited:
Check your engine fuse in the fuse box inside the car near the driver's footwell.

Check your Crank Position Sensor and it's wiring harness.

If the ECU doesn't receive a crank signal, it shuts down the engine by killing the spark and shutting off the fuel.

There's been a bunch of cases where the wires leading to the crank sensor rubbed through the casing and grounded out to the engine, killing the car.

The engine will run without Cam Position information but will die instantly without Crank info.
There is a code for the crank sensor but the car dies so fast, it doesn't have time to register the code.

Inspect the toothed ring on the crank pulley and make sure it is in alignment and gapped correctly.

Here's a link to the Factory Service Manual.

Here's a related thread...

Thanks for the info, I will look into this and will repost when I check the sensor and pulley, the car is at my in-laws at the moment. I will try and get this done within the next few days.

I wouldn't assume anything is good.
Do you have spark on any cylinder or no spark at all?
I checked 2 of the cylinders and didn’t see any spark coming from them. But I was also planning on going to get new coil packs and plugs to do a tune up anyways.

He's probably getting one or two sparks per cylinder until his ECU shuts him down.

The ECU allows one or two revolutions of the engine while it looks for crank data then shuts down the engine.

It's easy to miss that first spark.

A blown fuse will give no spark at all.
I check my fuses already and they were good under the hood and under the dash.

If you want to throw a part at it, I'd bet on this one.
They're not too much money.

There are tests for the CKP sensor, but you need a scope to check the output signal.

I actually just priced it lol. Thanks man!! I’ll try and order it today or tomorrow and I’ll let you know.

I also don’t have a scope, nor do I know anyone who does, so I’ll just replace it and see what happens next.

I'm having this same crank but no start problem. The fuel pump does not turn on with the key, but does work with the test jumper. I've pulled the fuel pump relay and tested it on the bench, works fine. The crank sensor and cam sensor test within spec. There are no codes to read. Any ideas on what else to check?

Perhaps I can leave the test jumper in and start the car? at least enough to get it to a shop?

I'd welcome any ideas

I'm having this same crank but no start problem. The fuel pump does not turn on with the key, but does work with the test jumper. I've pulled the fuel pump relay and tested it on the bench, works fine. The crank sensor and cam sensor test within spec. There are no codes to read. Any ideas on what else to check?

Perhaps I can leave the test jumper in and start the car? at least enough to get it to a shop?

I'd welcome any ideas
I still haven't gotten the fix yet, I'm soon going to get it towed to my local shop to see what the problem is, I'm not wanting to keep dumping more money into it to hopefully fix the problem. I don't know what other ideas are good, these guys on the forum have helped me and are very helpful though.

Back