My Weekend Drive on My P5

So I just finished breaking in my P5 and I decided to go for a day ride out in the countryside. I chose a bunch of curvy roads for lots of fun driving. It's so much fun driving in the twisties in a great handling car like the P5. Even my wife, who is normally pretty restraint was having fun just watching the scenery and holding on! We had the sunroof open and we were just soaking up the Sun. It was great. At one point out in the twisties, I got behind this Mazda MX6 (turbo) and its driver wouldn't let me pass him. He'd speed up in the straights then slow down in the turns. I guess MX6's don't handle all that well but they can sure accelerate. I knew I couldn't beat him in the straights so I backed off his ass for a while and let him relax. I guess he thought I gave up 'cause when we got onto this straight stretch of road, he just cruised and started dancing to the music playing in his MX6. That's when I made my move. I slammed my P5 to 3rd and let the engine sing its song. As I was passing the MX6, I saw its driver's eyes lit up in surprise and he punched it. But it was too late. I got by him. He was right on my tail when I got back in the lane though. But as soon as we got to the turns, he was history. I kept the P5 in 3rd, kept the power on as we rounded two consecutive 30mph sweepers. WHOOSH! We left Mr. MX6 behind with no problem.

Anyone ever listen to their P5's engine? It sounds like a rally car when you've got it up to 4k and above. Sweet.

Me & my P5 on a deserted mountain road:

Attachments

• me&p5.jpg
    me&p5.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 361
Similar thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, coming back from the Mont-Tremblant race track.

If you know the 117 S in Quebec, on a saturday evening you know it is busy and twisty. This girl driving a green VW Golf was brown nosing me in the straits but I would loose her in curves. She kept pushing so I tested my P5 at higher speed (we were going 90 to 100mph...) in strait lines and man is the sound of the engine a music or what. We played on (I would slow down and wait for her) for about 70 miles and finally lost her on the 15 S just before entering Montreal. That was fun :D :D :D

That track is awesome since they re-worked it. I really enjoyed watching the ALM on speedvision. I love those open tracks out in the country.

But yeah. Mazda did an excellent job of tuning the intake and exhaust note on the P5. My wife commented to me after our drive that she felt like she was in one of those in-car camera's hearing the engine singing as I worked through the gears. I have to admit to opening the windows just to hear the engine roar at high RPM. :)

The P5 lives for the twisties with its engine singing at high RPM.

Mont-Tremblant Track

Go check www.lecircuit.com , official site of the track.

Here's a photo of the Control Tower I took a few weeks ago. I'm a Pit Marshal at this track, as a hobby.

Attachments

• controltowertremblant.jpg
    controltowertremblant.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 230
I did. Only one lap though. Verrrry tricky track. Jackie Stewart once said this was one of the toughest track in the world, I think he was right.

Montreal track is easier, almost flat. Tremblant is in the mountains so it's up and down, blind curves and everything.

On www.lecircuit.com , did you go and visit "lap of the circuit"?

Here's something else I tried last year.

It was....fun.

Attachments

• 01_rb.jpg
    01_rb.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 240
Red Baron said:
Similar thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, coming back from the Mont-Tremblant race track.

If you know the 117 S in Quebec, on a saturday evening you know it is busy and twisty. This girl driving a green VW Golf was brown nosing me in the straits but I would loose her in curves. She kept pushing so I tested my P5 at higher speed (we were going 90 to 100mph...) in strait lines and man is the sound of the engine a music or what. We played on (I would slow down and wait for her) for about 70 miles and finally lost her on the 15 S just before entering Montreal. That was fun :D :D :D

those roads are scary in the winter time!!!....nearly got into 3 accedents going up there last march!!!

hehe i know how you guys feel i was up in the ganeau hills and i let my buddy drive my P5. we were at the top of this hill and we could see the road was totaly clear accept for this old saab turbo, my buddy is like "should i pass him" with a grin on his face. I'm like go for it!!! hehe the guy never even saw us comming we passed him doing 130km/h going around this curve, hehe you should have seen his face, all three of us were laughing after that LMAO

Rogue_Biker said:
You lucky bastard. You actually got to drive that open wheeler? I'm jealous.

Yes, for about an hour. It was raining like hell and we went up to 100mph...man that was something else to see the rain on the visor.

I'll turn 40 in 2004, this will be my gift to myself around July : www.jimrussell.com . Hehe...:D

banned bandit said:

those roads are scary in the winter time!!!....nearly got into 3 accedents going up there last march!!!

hehe i know how you guys feel i was up in the ganeau hills and i let my buddy drive my P5. we were at the top of this hill and we could see the road was totaly clear accept for this old saab turbo, my buddy is like "should i pass him" with a grin on his face. I'm like go for it!!! hehe the guy never even saw us comming we passed him doing 130km/h going around this curve, hehe you should have seen his face, all three of us were laughing after that LMAO

Very tricky in winter time, but fun in the summer...

Hope the Saab smelled smoke for a while :eek:

Back