SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

cx5 2.5 Turbo
Amsoil XL 5W30, oem oil filter. This is the 2nd oil change. The first is the factory oil.

7D9CD053-659E-4B0D-8ABE-1717891F5DD3.jpeg

Well that's not what I wanted to see. I'm hoping for a possibility of something other than the head gasket, but am also preparing to do the work (looking at procedures, parts prices and availability etc). Super bummed about this, and we're about to drive the car on our family vacation trip in just a couple weeks.

1685246389246.png

Well that's not what I wanted to see. I'm hoping for a possibility of something other than the head gasket, but am also preparing to do the work (looking at procedures, parts prices and availability etc). Super bummed about this, and we're about to drive the car on our family vacation trip in just a couple weeks.

View attachment 319640
Sorry to see that. Looks like you’re using Mazda Moly 0W-20 oil with high molybdenum content. The coolant leak is rare for the 2.5L NA on your 2014 CX-5 Touring. How many miles on it? Can you see the coolant level drop in the coolant container?

It’s too bad that after you’ve spent plenty of time for extensive maintenance on your CX-5 then found you have got such problem. Not sure what would I do if I’m under the same situation. With your DIY skill may be you can remove the cylinder head and verify the head gasket condition. No matter it definitely is a big hassle for you.

Doh! @PatrickGSR94 sorry to see that report for you!

With the upcoming vacation plans, do you plan on continuing to run it for your trip or rent something or maybe door3 trade it in right quick on a new ride 😀.

I haven't heard much of any gen1 engine trouble.

@PatrickGSR94

Sorry to hear…. hasn’t this been a concern of yours for a while now? I was looking at some of your older reports in this thread and the coolant loss

Last July’s oil report showed a trace of coolant and increase in potassium. This report showed even more coolant and higher potassium. I had planned on doing a shorter interval and checking with a different lab, but never got around to it. Fixing it is really our only option. We can’t afford another vehicle or monthly payment right now.

My main concern right now is parts availability and how long the repairs will take me. My wife can’t drive manual trans which is what my 2 other cars are.

Not sure about the trip. There has been some coolant loss from the tank, but it’s been minimal. I’ve only had to add maybe a cup or two of coolant in the past year.

I just received my Blackstone Labs report for my 2019 CX 5 GT Reserve. The car was four years old at the beginning of June and this oil was in the car for 14 months. I am retired so make a lot of short trips and have only put 20,000 miles on the car in those four years.

I chose the Mobil 1 EP in 5W-30 weight which is one of their "extended protection" formulas supposedly good for up to 20,000 miles even though my usual OCI's are only 5000 miles. The filter was the OEM Mazda PY8W-14-302. As I make a lot of short trips I asked them to check for fuel dilution and as I also have some concern about the reported problem with blown head gaskets and coolant leaks in some CX 5's with the 2.5L turbo engines in my VIN range I also asked them to check for coolant contamination. I keep a close eye on the coolant level and so far it has remained at or very near the max level line.

I am a bit surprised though at the viscosity reading but they said it isn't a problem. Overall it looks like the readily available and moderately priced Mobil 1 EP oil is a good match for the Skyactiv 2.5 liter turbo engine.
CX-5 Blackstone Report 07-06-23.jpg

I just received my Blackstone Labs report for my 2019 CX 5 GT Reserve. The car was four years old at the beginning of June and this oil was in the car for 14 months. I am retired so make a lot of short trips and have only put 20,000 miles on the car in those four years.

I chose the Mobil 1 EP in 5W-30 weight which is one of their "extended protection" formulas supposed good for up to 20,000 miles even though my usual OCI's are only 5000 miles. The filter was the OEM Mazda PY8W-14-302. As I make a lot of short trips I asked them to check for fuel dilution and as I also have some concern about the reported problem with blown head gaskets and coolant leaks in some CX 5's in my VIN range I also asked them to check for coolant contamination. I keep a close eye on the coolant level and so far it has remained at or very near the max level line.

I am a bit surprised though at the viscosity reading but they said it isn't a problem. Overall it looks like the readily available and moderately priced Mobil 1 EP oil is a good match for the Skyactiv 2.5 liter turbo engine. View attachment 320415
Was this the new Triple Action formulation?

The viscosity drop is due to the fuel in the oil, which Blackstone Labs is not good at reporting. Oil Analyzers Inc. and other labs measure fuel dilution much more accurately. Blackstone has a reputation for not showing accurate fuel dilution numbers.

Report is fine otherwise.

I purchased the oil from Amazon about 6 months ago and took the used oil to the recycling center for disposal so I don't have the jug to see if it was the Triple Action Formula. As I mentioned I make a lot of short trips, often only about 8-10 miles round trip. About 3 times a month I will go down the mountain to a nearby town and then I put 70-100 miles on it. So fuel dilution was likely the cause for the viscosity drop. Luckily it wasn't a major drop and since I change the oil every 5000 miles it shouldn't prove to be a problem.

Thanks for the tip on Oil Analyzers. I'll try them next time.

I've never done a UOA on our 16.5 so I decided to send off a sample to Blackstone from our 2016.5 touring's lastest oil change at 155,000 miles.
We have "lifetime" $9.95 oil change from our selling dealer and use that for most all changes. I'm not exactly sure what oil they use from their bulk bin but I believe it's a Castrol product. They take care of the oil change for us every 5k miles.

So, the UOA report looks nice. Not making any metal, no contaminates, no coolant, slight fuel. Looking forward to putting another 150k on it 👍

16 CX-5-230609_2.jpg

That is one amazong UOA at that mileage. The oil seems to have decent amount of Moly in it. Whatever it is , its very good. Thank you for the report.

I've never done a UOA on our 16.5 so I decided to send off a sample to Blackstone from our 2016.5 touring's lastest oil change at 155,000 miles.
We have "lifetime" $9.95 oil change from our selling dealer and use that for most all changes. I'm not exactly sure what oil they use from their bulk bin but I believe it's a Castrol product. They take care of the oil change for us every 5k miles.

So, the UOA report looks nice. Not making any metal, no contaminates, no coolant, slight fuel. Looking forward to putting another 150k on it 👍

View attachment 320558

Good report! I hope that our 16.5 looks this good at that mileage! I have a long time to go though as I'm at just over 30k now.

Your info says that you have a '19 diesel though...

...Your info says that you have a '19 diesel though...
Yeah, there was some character limit on that description line of my profile and I couldn't fit it all in.

We've had 3 mazda3's and currently have a 2016.5 cx5 touring and the 2019 cx5 2.2 diesel signature in the family fleet.

Yeah, there was some character limit on that description line of my profile and I couldn't fit it all in.
YES! I found that changed sometime between getting our 2019 CX-5 and my new '23 CX-50. I cannot add the CX-50 and if I edit it at all now, I can't even fit what I already have there - so had to cancel out!

@admin? Any way to go back to how it was before and extend the char count?

YES! I found that changed sometime between getting our 2019 CX-5 and my new '23 CX-50. I cannot add the CX-50 and if I edit it at all now, I can't even fit what I already have there - so had to cancel out!

@admin? Any way to go back to how it was before and extend the char count?

@Antoine

Regarding the avatar descriptions…Appreciate the feedback, looking into it! Will post updates asap…Thanks! 😁

Regarding the avatar descriptions…Appreciate the feedback, looking into it! Will post updates asap…Thanks! 😁
Ok after testing things out and checking settings etc...I've increased the character limit for "Vehicle/s" and recommended (via the field description) using the "Custom title" field to list vehicle/s instead for a cleaner look...Hope that helps!

Back