Down to 3 tire options. Opinions Appreciated!

Hi Folks,

Sticking with OEM size 225/55/19 for my 2021 Signature. I've decided to opt for Gran Touring All Season as opposed to UHP All Season. The reason is, I find the ride on my CX-5 harsh and jarring. In fact, I took it to the dealer and did a road test and had them do a visual inspection of all the suspension parts (which they did a video of for me) because I thought for sure something was wrong with the struts/shocks or a suspension part given the lack of dampening over pot holes and rough roads. It turns out there is nothing wrong with the suspension at all. It's the stock Toyo A36 tires which are down to 5/32.

I realize ANY other tire would improve the ride quality. However, I assume Ground Touring All Season would improve the ride the most. So my main objective is ride quality, low noise, and decent wet/dry performance for a GT A/S tire. I'm in NorCal so I never drive in snow or freezing temperatures, but I do drive in heavy rain in the winter. Basically I'm trying to achieve a Lexus ride in a CX-5....I know wishful thinking. Here are the 3 tires I have narrowed it down to:

GOODYEAR ASSURANCE COMFORTDRIVE

MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE2

MICHELIN PRIMACY TOUR A/S

If anyone has had any of these tires and can provide some feedback it would be most appreciated!

Last edited:
Michelins will tend to have softer sidewalls and will give up some steering response in trade.

The tread depth has no bearing on ride quality (softness). I did not think my Toyos rode roughly.

You will probably get the ride quality you want by changing the shocks/struts to Koni Special Actives.

Just swapped the stock Toyo's for Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3. If you search, there's a number of threads on these - many others have too. Ride has substantially improved, with no impact on handling. Plus, they are relatively cheap for a brand tire.

See: Search results for query: Pirelli Scorpion

The tread depth has no bearing on ride quality (softness). I did not think my Toyos rode roughly.
Au contraire, as ours aged (about 36K when swapped) they got harder and harder. I doubt it's the tread depth, just the aging of the tires.

Just swapped the stock Toyo's for Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3. If you search, there's a number of threads on these - many others have too. Ride has substantially improved, with no impact on handling. Plus, they are relatively cheap for a brand tire.

See: Search results for query: Pirelli Scorpion

Au contraire, as ours aged (about 36K when swapped) they got harder and harder. I doubt it's the tread depth, just the aging of the tires.
Wow these Pirelli Scorpions look like the best of them all. Very impressive and that's based on 5.9M miles reported. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. They actually have the highest rating for ride comfort and noise as well as dry/wet traction and tread life. I think I'll go with them.

from those 3 listed,

Best overall in all main aspects is the Primacy Tour A/S to me. Your mpg will get a bit better as well. Its comfortable and very very good tire but not Lexus style comfort :)
for the most comfortable (see below). btw, The CX5 has just too sporty suspension.

For pure comfort this GoodYear model is most likely better based on my research but may lack in other areas where the Primacy Tour excels.

The CC2 is a good tire but its pattern is winter biased, mpg drops too and ride is questionable in the 19 size. I would not bother with those.

I have the Michelin Tour Primacy and quite happy.
Planning to get them too on my second new cx5z

Not many people buy them purely because they are the most expensive tire in this size and they are not rated for 70k miles. None of those matter to me.

Did a lot of research before selecting them but 2yrs ago the Pirelli model was not available. People seem happy with the new Pirelli but they are quite new so I dont have any details on them how they do when they age.
If you go with the Pirelli at the end please remember to come back and share feedback later.

IMG_1325.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m always going to say continental dsw 06 plus… but that’s my Opinion
Have the DWs 06 Continental's on our 2022 Nissan Rouge. They are a giant upgrade over the oem Falken's. So far have only had them on for 9,000 miles and they grip well, are great in rain and dry weather plus they are quiet. No idea about snow since we don't get any in Houston.

I recently pricematched these Pirelli Scorpion WeatherActive 255/50R20 109H XL at Discount Tires. I paid about $900 including taxes. I just drove it for about 600 miles and can say that it’s much better than the OEM Falkens, IMO. The ride feels more compliant without sacrificing handling and braking distance is much improved.

I bought Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3's last year to replace the oem Toyo's that had worn out. After comparing the ratings on the Michelin CC2, Conti LX25 and Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 the Pirelli's won out. I am extremely happy with them after a year.

P.S. I ran Micheli Premier LTX's several years ago on my Gen1 CX5. I loved them but they are now discontinued. My neighbor bought the CC2's last year but they became really noisy so he traded them in on a different Michelin model. Fortunately I had already ruled them out.

Last edited:
Ive had the priellis on since November, they ride great. Excellent in rain, very quiet, great handling. Not sure what that report is citing about wet traction. I’ve driven in flooding rains on the highway at 70mph and they are very steady.

Back