CX-5 2nd Gen Easter Eggs

cx5boo333

2021 Cx5 GT AWD
I saw a thread about Easter Eggs for the CX-5, but it seemed to be for the last generation and more of conversation than actual hidden features lol :D Just thought I'd post and see if anyone's found anything interesting! Such qualifying things (in my book) that I've discovered: being able to change the digital gauge cluster by holding down the gauge dimmer stalk that comes out of the gauges. Another not-too-hidden feature, but one the salesman will never show you, is setting your ambient display to none/blank in settings, then being able to drive around with music playing but nothing on the screen. I don't know if this thread will get any replies, or if there are any other Easter Eggs, but I thought I might as well see!

Here are mine, not exactly easter eggs though

Infotainment Screen off (dark)
use the voice commands button for quickly turning off the screen :) just say screen off. Much quicker.

The DRLs can be turned off permanently (and re-enabled later if needed( with a funky ala nintendo style button pressing.

Auto folding of side mirror can be disabled (or reenabled) with a button combination.

The rear lift gate has a kind of hidden button that locks unlocks the doors. Same as the button on the door handles.

Lock car while engine running-
One can leave the car running and still lock the doors but have to use the actual door key that is inside the fob.

Automatic park brake method-
Driving with auto hold enabled , when you put in park dont turn off the engine but first remove seat belt while keeping the brake pedal. The park brake will engage. Only then push the button to turn off the car.

Last edited:
Here are mine, not exactly easter eggs though

Infotainment Screen off (dark)
use the voice commands button for quickly turning off the screen :) just say screen off. Much quicker.

The DRLs can be turned off permanently (and re-enabled later if needed( with a funky ala nintendo style button pressing.

Auto folding of side mirror can be disabled (or reenabled) with a button combination.

The rear lift gate has a kind of hidden button that locks unlocks the doors. Same as the button on the door handles.

Lock car while engine running-
One can leave the car running and still lock the doors but have to use the actual door key that is inside the fob.

Automatic park brake method-
Driving with auto hold enabled , when you put in park dont turn off the engine but first remove seat belt while keeping the brake pedal. The park brake will engage. Only then push the button to turn off the car.
Didn't know about some of those, awesome! I'll have to look for the rear lift gate unlock button later today, that's good to know.

I couldn't find one on my '21 GTR
I have a '21 GT and I found it all the way on the right, on the same underside area/strip that the trunk release is on. If you still can't find it I can take a picture, but just look under that lip where the trunk release is, then look on the far right of that.

As far as the automatic park/ hand brake engagement during stop and shut off is concerned it will always do that if you had already engaged the autohold during that period of your journey. So if you decide to go on an errand and after starting the car you press the autohold button because you know that there are traffic lights ahead with possible short stops on red light, and then when you finally come to your destination and you stop and shut the car in the normal way, the parking hand brake will automatically apply. No need to even unbuckle your seat belt to activate it. What I would have really liked was if the autohold button got activated automatically on starting the car without my having to remember to push that button. I use it a lot.

For some reason Mazda, in their infinite wisdom, decided not to include RAP (retained accessory power), the feature that allows the power to stay on for some accessories (windows, sunroof, infotainment system...) until a door is opened, in any of their vehicles.

An Easter Egg that works on the 1st gen CX-5's, to keep the infotainment system working for ~10 mins after the ignition has been turned off, may also work on the 2nd gen cars.

Before pressing the Start button to turn the car off, place the shifter in Park and then hold the shifter button in while turning the car off. Now the Infotainment system will stay powered for a bit. There may be other systems that stay powered up as well.

What I would have really liked was if the autohold button got activated automatically on starting the car without my having to remember to push that button. I use it a lot.
Yes! Me too.

An Easter Egg that works on the 1st gen CX-5's, to keep the infotainment system working for ~10 mins after the ignition has been turned off, may also work on the 2nd gen cars.
I can confirm works on 2nd gen too (and my CX-50 :) )

Don't know if these are new, but were new to me.

Press unlock button on Fob 4 times & on the 4th press hold it down and all your windows should lower half way. Have not found way to raise them all back up again with fob. Have to manually putting them all back up.

This one is in the manual, but nice feature to mention. If you share the vehicle with your spouse and have 2 Fobs.

Program memory seat to key​

A driving position can also be programmed to the key in use for driving the vehicle.

1. Make sure the parking brake is on.
  2. Make sure the selector lever is in the P position.
  3. Start the engine.
  4. Adjust the seat and the Active Driving Display to the desired driving position.
  5. Press the SET button on the seat until a beep sound is heard one time.
  6. Within five seconds, press and hold the unlock button on the key fob until a beep sound is heard one time.
  7. Now, whenever you use this key to unlock the doors, it will automatically adjust the seat to your programmed position within 40 seconds of opening the driver’s door. You will hear a beep sound when its finished repositioning. After you start the engine, the Active Driving Display adjustment begins.
Note: The memory seat function will cancel if the vehicle starts moving.

I have a '21 GT and I found it all the way on the right, on the same underside area/strip that the trunk release is on. If you still can't find it I can take a picture, but just look under that lip where the trunk release is, then look on the far right of that.
1684336791409.png

As far as the automatic park/ hand brake engagement during stop and shut off is concerned it will always do that if you had already engaged the autohold during that period of your journey. So if you decide to go on an errand and after starting the car you press the autohold button because you know that there are traffic lights ahead with possible short stops on red light, and then when you finally come to your destination and you stop and shut the car in the normal way, the parking hand brake will automatically apply. No need to even unbuckle your seat belt to activate it. What I would have really liked was if the autohold button got activated automatically on starting the car without my having to remember to push that button. I use it a lot.
Is there a way (non-normal, I guess!) to avoid the parking brake getting activated when shutting down the car in Autohold mode? The manual wasn't clear on that. My car doesn't seem to put the brake on every time, so there must be some sequence I can use. I don't like trying to take off on the next ride and finding the brake on. I just recently starting using Autohold, and I like it except for the parking brake activation thing. Agree with you that automatic activation would be my preference, especially if it was a setting that could be changed now and then.

Don't know if these are new, but were new to me.

Press unlock button on Fob 4 times & on the 4th press hold it down and all your windows should lower half way. Have not found way to raise them all back up again with fob. Have to manually putting them all back up.

First I've heard of this. Is this only on the gen 2 models?

I was disappointed when I bought my 2017 that the window down feature was not on the car. Both my older Nissans had this feature. Sales guy was a little sheepish about it at the time.
Unfortunately, no matter what combination I try with my 6, the windows will not go down. This seems to be a hit and miss feature, depending on year and model.

Back