2017 2nd Gen CX-5 ATF drain questions

:
Canada
:
2017 Mazda CX5 GT 2.5
Hello,
My cx5 is about 85000KM now and after some readings I plan to do ATF change here.

I ordered one filter online, but have a question here.
1. Should I do drain and fill now?
2. Or should I remove the pan and replace the filter?

How much ATF (how many bottles) should I prepare for each case here? Plan go to dealer later to buy some.

Thank you!

Most DIYers here do the ATF drain-and-fill or drop the pan with filter cartridge replacement at 45K ~ 70K miles. Most even do it 3 times in certain mileage interval as you can only drain about a half of the total ATF capacity each time.

Guide ATF Drain/Fill

2016.5 CX-5 Transmission fluid change questions

IMO drop and clean up the pan and replace the filter cartridge should be a better choice but it has a lot more involved especially on cleaning and applying the RTV to reseal the pan.

And you need 3.75 ~ 4 quarts (bottles) of Mazda ATF FZ for a drain-and-fill, and 4 ~ 5 quarts for a pan drop.

I've only done drain and fills on mine. At 100k I'll drop the pan and replace filter.. currently at around 78k miles on my '15.

@yrwei52 - Have you just done drain and fills as well?

Most DIYers here do the ATF drain-and-fill or drop the pan with filter cartridge replacement at 45K ~ 70K miles. Most even do it 3 times in certain mileage interval as you can only drain about a half of the total ATF capacity each time.

Guide ATF Drain/Fill

2016.5 CX-5 Transmission fluid change questions

IMO drop and clean up the pan and replace the filter cartridge should be a better choice but it has a lot more involved especially on cleaning and applying the RTV to reseal the pan.

And you need 3.75 ~ 4 quarts (bottles) of Mazda ATF FZ for a drain-and-fill, and 4 ~ 5 quarts for a pan drop.
Here’s another good thread and read all the posts by Patrick94GSR who did 2 drain-and-fills and dropped the pan for the last one. He needed 13 quarts of Mazda ATF FZ to do the whole process.

Transmission fluid change without filter replacement

I've only done drain and fills on mine. At 100k I'll drop the pan and replace filter.. currently at around 78k miles on my '15.

@yrwei52 - Have you just done drain and fills as well?
My 2016 CX-5 has only 51K miles. I plan to do the ATF change sometime this year. But honestly I haven’t decided which way I’d do yet.

I've not done mine either, but plan on it sometime in 2024 or 2025. I have just over 30k miles on my CX.

When I do the change, my thinking is if I'm going to do the work might as well drop the pan and change the filter as well.

IMO: Drain and fill is almost like a simple oil change... dropping the pan and all that extra fun with the FIPG, setup and even more fluid is noticeably far more involved. I'd probably set aside a weekend to take my time on that one. I might even pick up a new AT pan to save on some cleanup/prep time.

IMO: Drain and fill is almost like a simple oil change... dropping the pan and all that extra fun with the FIPG, setup and even more fluid is noticeably far more involved. I'd probably set aside a weekend to take my time on that one. I might even pick up a new AT pan to save on some cleanup/prep time.

A new pan is a good idea, providing that the price isn't prohibitive. Anyone know what these things cost?

Back