1st Mazda: CX-90 Turbo S PP Artisan Red on Tan

New here with my first Mazda. My friends have all loved their Mazdas. We test drove almost every three row SUV out there and narrowed it down to four: Audi Q7, Acura MDX, Subaru Ascent and upcoming hopeful Mazda CX-90. Coming from owning three Subarus it was painful to go another brand but we brought home this on April 7:

Turbo S premium Plus in Artisan Red on quilted nappa tan

IMG_2307.jpeg
IMG_2321.jpeg
IMG_2418.jpeg

IMG_2303.jpeg

Review

The Mazda CX-90 has a great engine. We’ve felt one jerky down/up/down short in the 800 miles. The transmission on my test drive and our own copy has stuttered three times from a stop/almost stop. I have not hit the throttle while letting the engine break-in but that will change soon. 😁 Body roll is well minimized for this size vehicle. It seems quite nimble and the suspension is well-tuned.

The new Artisan Red is gorgeous as well as the quilted nappa tan. BTW, the white paint also looks very nice and is just classy on those CX-90 sweeping body lines. But I wanted that new red. It’s complex, changing from brighter red to purple and even brown at certain angles. In the dark it can appear black. It’s quite a stunning color. The reddish purple on tan is a beautiful combo. I’ve never owned anything this nice looking.

Following the interior, I’m impressed by much of the tech/features. Heated and cooled seats in the first two rows, simple yet elegant controls, seat stitching, USB-C ports, double opening armrests, comfy headrests, easy second row sliding for third row access, full-size spare tire, easy steering wheel controls, heads-up display (seriously, how did we live without that?), powerful air conditioning, panaramic sunroof, folding mirrors, MIDBASS SPEAKERS IN THE FIREWALL INSTEAD OF DOORS, luxurious materials, 360 degree and rear view mirror cameras, huge center compartment in second row, automatic driver’s seat and steering wheel sliding for access, adaptive speed and distance cruise control, rain adapted windshield wipers, collision avoidance sensors in the dash and heads-up display, driver recognition and position changes, perfect ambient lighting, automatic high beams, etc.

No design is perfect and there are some “opportunities” for Mazda improvement. The mirror camera resolution is poor. The wireless charging pad doesn’t work. It’s neither a good charger nor a shelf for holding your phone. There isn’t turn-off button and it heats up your phone. However, with all that heat it doesn’t actually increase battery charge beyond 1-2% tops in our testing. It goes into cycling white/green or flashing red on actual trips vs just sitting at the dealer. The automated software in my car sees semi trucks in the adjacent lane as collision threats even when they are not threats. This could be sensor error in my car but that’s all that I can report on. The facial recognition is great when it works but fails 30%. It gets worse in dark but still fails in bright, sunny days. The seats are firm and I have to adjust them on 1-2 hour drives. My wife wanted more comfort Abe has no problem with the seats. More of my seating comfort thoughts are below.

Comparisons

We tend to keep our vehicles a very long time and love the security of our three Subaru AWD vehicles. We had a Toyota Sequoia that made an excellent people and corner cupboard hauler but are now close to empty nest phase. Our older son is married and the younger son is finishing his second year of college. We aren’t don’t haul a dozen people nowadays but we do expect to need grandbaby room in this vehicle. So we stuck to three rows (even though Mazda limits the top trim to six seats). With this background context covered I’d like to make comparisons to the other three row SUV’s that we considered.

Acura MDX
The fiercest competitor to the new CX-90 is Acura’s MDX. It drives well and looks sharp. They trade points back and forth. Example: MDX has car-like steering/pedal feel while CX-90 displays Mazda’s design philosophy of road feedback and heavier steering/pedals. Do you want to drive a nicer Honda? Then buy the MDX. Do you want more of a driver’s car? Then buy the Mazda. I felt very confident while driving the CX-90 with it’s rear-wheel biased AWD, even in rain.

The Acura seats are absolutely fantastic, the most comfortable out there. I seriously can’t gush enough over the MDX seats. Oh, and both front seats get identical treatment. The passenger isn’t relegated to second class adjustments, lol. The Mazda seats look nicer but are quite a bit firmer. We’ll see how my bottom end handles a long trip but after two hours I was ready to get out of my CX-90 for a bit.

With the seat firmness addressed, the Mazda is still more refined overall. Despite the firmer seats, the overall ride is a little softer (and quieter) than the Acura . MDX has wind noise and floor vibration not present in the CX-90. I believe this is due to Mazda’s better suspension and noise damping control than the Advanced package Acura. The MDX Type S has air ride suspension but we did not test this trim back to back against the Mazda. Why not compare top trim to top trim? The MDX costs $15k more than a similarly dressed CX-90. I bought the very top trim Mazda for the bottom engine priced Acura.

More pro’s and con’s: my Mazda has ventilated second row seats which are lacking in almost all competitors. The MDX has a removable second row console that converts between seat/armrest/removable. It’s a great design that everyone should copy. CX-90 has air conditioning vents and USB-C chargers in the third row that the Acura lacks. I can become accustomed to either entertainment control but the Mazda control ring is better than the Acura trackpad. Most of all, one must go up to the $75k Acura Type S to get decent sound. The non-S trim sound is horrific. I couldn’t listen to such bloated junk. Seriously, “she sounds hideous.” Even Mazda’s Bose sounded like even spectral response in comparison. With all the Bose 3D spatial mess turned off the CX-90 is fairly true to name, “linear.” I can live with it for a while. The dash is another area where Mazda simplicity shines. The MDX steering wheel and dash controls are much busier. In contrast I can quickly find what I need in the Mazda, which ranks high on my driving safety factor.

The Q7 is refined. The seats are softer than Mazda (but nothing like the MDX). The Audi and Mazda are similar in noise and vibration. Perhaps the Audi nudges ahead very slightly, but I did not get back to back comparisons on the same roads. With the Audi one must spend $10-15k more for second row cooling. If one prefers touchpad controls and sleek interior, consider the Q7. I was very interested in the Prestige trim with its thicker glass and air ride suspension but couldn’t find one to drive near me. And while it’s AWD was tempting, we discarded it from the list due to initial price and much higher maintenance costs.

Subaru Ascent
Coming from three Subarus vehicles in my driveway (plus other in the extended family), we wanted to love the Ascent. Their new Mahogany Red color is beautiful. The Napa tan interior also looks much higher class than old school Subie. Who can compete with their AWD anywhere near the price? Alas, we wanted a quieter and smoother ride. We could go up in trim for the nice leather and heated/cooled seats but the noise and vibration doesn’t improve. Also, the driver’s seat in the top two Ascent trims have a strange bump under the thigh. I never figured out if it was from the sliding thigh support or a weird seat cushion design, but I couldn’t handle it. The Subaru was quite a bit cheaper than the Mazda which we bought, about $10k less. Base trims would compare track to a similar $10k delta.

Lesser peasants:

Korean twins Kia Telluride / Hyundai Palisade
The Hyundai sales manager put it best, “on paper you can’t beat it.” He’s right, you know. That’s why we actually drive vehicles instead of just going by numbers. If you just HAVE to carry 8 passengers and are too cool for a minivan, this could be on your list. But it was quickly kicked off ours. Seats are less comfortable than the quite firm CX-90, ride was louder and rougher. Quite the vibration. The Korean twins just seemed cheap in comparison. The drive was not inspiring and the AWD system failed to maintain traction with just a little throttle into the dealership (car popped over the hill).

Jeep Grand Cherokee
Nope. Imagine driving a wrangler with nicer interior. Next! Ha ha. Seriously, the interior design is luxurious and the air ride is nice but the engine, suspension, tires, everything else is just bad. Skip this line and overinflated pricing.

Honda Pilot
It seems like everyone is raving about the new Pilot. Too bad we couldn’t test one. Our local dealer didn’t have a single one in stock and quoted a minimum of $6k over MSRP for a vehicle that we couldn’t see or drive. The next dealer told another couple $10k over MSRP. We did test a Pilot and it was very boring with noise and hardness. Also, that unseen Pilot was a “throw your money down on take it or leave it for whatever trim showed up” venture. No, thank you!

Toyota Highlander
Are those a few angry squirrels under the hood or a turbo 4 cylinder? Who can tell? More noise and harshness than the Mazda. Some interior trims are nice (our friends have a higher trim model and it’s great inside). Otherwise, nothing inspiring except that Toyota reliability. The one great quality here is that it will last forever, until that becomes a detriment for such a boring choice. I waited long enough to test the CX-90. I’m not waiting 9 months longer to see the upcoming Grand Highlander.

BMW X5 (and X7)
Our localish dealer didn’t have new X5 or X7 to test drive. My wife briefly tested a used X7 and liked it but $100k new was too steep. Also, it was larger and closer in size to our full-sized Sequoia. With a higher initial price and similar maintenance costs to the Audi Q7 but no driving experience the X5 dropped off the list.

Genesis GV80
I had an excellent drive in the lower trim. Went to another dealer and drive the top trim. Louder and harsher than the CX-90. The top trim seats were rough. I don’t mean “firm” like the Mazda but simply uncomfortable.

Ford Explorer
I tested one as a potential work vehicle and was underwhelmed. The four-wheel drive system couldn’t handle a simple, gentle slope in wet grass. But the biggest concern was the jerky shifting. It did not inspire confidence and since then I’ve learned of Ford’s transmission issues. Which is why I wasn’t going to even test the next candidate:

Lincoln Corsair (in lieu of the Aviator)
We wanted to test drive an Aviator but the local dealer told us they weren’t made anymore. Seems weird since they were still on the Lincoln website. Guess what? They have them in stock now . . . Anyway, the Corsair was just terrible. Aside from plenty of power from the smaller SUV, it was loud and harsh. There was a terrible vibration from the driver’s side rear tire. Dealerships, if you want me to buy your product then prepare it for the best experience. It is not my job to correct your tire pressures and balancing.

Mercedes GLE
I drove a GLC and GLE. It wasn’t bad but I certainly expected more for premium reputation and pricing. It didn’t help that the salesman tried to blast music against my tastes and drove ~80 in a 20 mph zone. Oh, and I had to stop to fill gas 1/4 mile after leaving the dealership. I try to keep personalities out of business but this was just too much.

Volvo XC90
NOISY, clunky, Toyota’s squirrels in the engine. If you like this thing then you’ll LOVE the Honda Passport at half the price. And, hey, the Honda at least has excellent auto lane assist.

Cross-postings

Last edited:
Hello fellow Turbo S Prem Plus owner.

If you are having issues with the occasional driver detect misfire, one thing I have noticed that seems to dramatically decrease this has to do with how you turn the vehicle on. If you first turn on the car without pressing the brake (powering on, but not starting the engine) while looking at the camera, has seemingly reduced my mis-detects dramatically. I wait until the seat/steering wheel finish moving to start the car. (I do think mazda needs to add the ability to both do more recognition learning cycles on a profile, and set the default profile for when a mis-fire occurs.) In my case only my profile is on the vehicle, and mis-fires dump me into the guest profile. I am not sure if this will help the issue of switching between drivers, but give it a try and let me know if this seems to improve things for you.

And as far as the charging pad goes, If your phone case doesn't have an alignment/holder magnet (designed for wireless charging), most inductive chargers will have problems. This solved the problem for my dad in his two vehicles (non-mazda, but similar symptoms / issues). I am hoping it would solve the problem of the phone moving and losing charge connection and also potentially the heating up issue as that can arise from mis-alignment causing charging energy to not be captured and thus becoming heat. I have had the system work properly, and also had one time where it wasn't happy (switching between white/green, phone getting warm).

Congratulations on your new CX-90! Enjoy it in good health 🍻

One thing I noticed when I bought my CX-9 was that the default values for the safety features are too limiting. Changing the warning setting for smart brake control from Far to Near helped a ton. Maybe a similar adjustment to collision detection in your CX-90 will have a similar result.

Also, it's great to see not one, but two new CX-90 owners in the same thread!

Good to see they are actually moving them out to customers on plan. Much better than GM’s massive rollout stumble on the Lyriq and perpetual parts shortages at Ford and Toyota.

It also suggests even bigger clear out discounts coming for the left over CX-9 units.

Congratulations on your new CX-90!

Great Write up on yours and the comparisons to other brands. We pretty much looked at the same group of cars and almost decided on a Honda Pilot Elite, because we already have 3 Honda Vehicles currently. A close second was the MB GLE450 4MATIC, but too many people in my area drives them.

We bought our Artisan Red Metallic, White Premium Leather Turbo S Premium Plus on 4/24/2023.

CX90 1.jpg

CX90 2.jpg

CX90 3.jpg

We've only put a couple hundred miles on it so far, because we went on a week long vacation in London the day after we bought the car.

The CX-90 Looks nice and drive nice so far, except for a couple issues. Our wireless charger is just like yours. It overheats the phone and doesn't really charge. Our driver side Blind Spot Monitor would randomly and falsely warn us of a car in our blind spot when there isn't a car there. Happens more at night or in low light conditions. Very strange and we will have to schedule a service appointment for that.

My two cents.

For BSM, was it detecting metal objects on the side of roads?
Chain link fence, for example.

For the wireless charger issue, did you see the green LED turned on when charging?
If not, you probably did not position it properly.
My CX5 ('22) have that issue. Have not noticed overheating though, since I always make sure the green LED is turned on.

We bought our Artisan Red Metallic, White Premium Leather Turbo S Premium Plus on 4/24/2023.

View attachment 319142
View attachment 319143
View attachment 319144

We've only put a couple hundred miles on it so far, because we went on a week long vacation in London the day after we bought the car.

The CX-90 Looks nice and drive nice so far, except for a couple issues. Our wireless charger is just like yours. It overheats the phone and doesn't really charge. Our driver side Blind Spot Monitor would randomly and falsely warn us of a car in our blind spot when there isn't a car there. Happens more at night or in low light conditions. Very strange and we will have to schedule a service appointment for that.
Sweet!

My two cents.

For BSM, was it detecting metal objects on the side of roads?
Chain link fence, for example.

For the wireless charger issue, did you see the green LED turned on when charging?
If not, you probably did not position it properly.
My CX5 ('22) have that issue. Have not noticed overheating though, since I always make sure the green LED is turned on.
The BSM false alerts would happen randomly, even when just parked idling on the side of the road when there isn't anything close to the car. I just watched this YouTube video reviewer talked about experiencing some BSM problem as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6vxz3Tvstw&list=WL&index=1

I do see the green LED turned on when I place my phone on the charging pad, but it would move a bit while driving and it would flash red sometimes.

I don't really care about the wireless charging, but I do care a lot about the BSM working properly.

I'm hoping to find out if anyone else with the CX-90 are experiencing similar issues.

What does it say about BSM in your Owner's manual?
With older models like my CX5, BSM only activates after speed reaches X mph....
No way it gives out warning while stationary with mine.

What does it say about BSM in your Owner's manual?
With older models like my CX5, BSM only activates after speed reaches X mph....
No way it gives out warning while stationary with mine.

BSM is not suppose to alert while stationary according to the manual, but Vehicle Exit Warning can. Unfortunately, my CX-90 will sometimes alert randomly when nothing is in our blind spot while driving or stationary.

I found the following in the Digital Owner's Manual https://www.mazdausa.com/static/manuals/2024/cx-90/visual.html :

When the BSM operates

The BSM operates when all of the following conditions are met.

• The vehicle speed is about 10 km/h (6.2 mph) or faster.
  • The system detects an approaching vehicle.

When the BSM operates, the driver is notified of the presence of an approaching vehicle using the BSM warning lights and a screen display (white)*1.

BSM warning light
65390300-khece01-001.png

Instrument cluster (Type A)
65390300-khece02-001.png

Instrument cluster (Type B)
65390300-khece02-002.png

Active driving display
65390300-khecedj-001.png

1. The instrument cluster screen display (white) is displayed only when the instrument cluster is set to the i-ACTIVSENSE display.

When the turn signal lever is operated in the direction in which an approaching vehicle is detected, the driver is notified of the danger by flashing of the BSM warning lights, the warning sound, and the warning indication (amber).

BSM warning light
65390300-khece01-001.png

65390300-khece05-001.png

65390300-khece05-002.png

Active driving display
65390300-khece06-001.png

• The BSM may not operate normally if any of the following conditions is met.
    • The rear side radar sensors cannot detect an object.

Refer to Radar Sensors (Search).
    • The road is on a steep slope.
    • The road is extremely wide.
    • You make a lane change 2 lanes or more.
  • The BSM may operate when turning at intersections in urban areas or with stationary objects on the road or the roadside (such as guardrails, sidewalls, and parked vehicles).
  • If a Mazda genuine trailer hitch is used, the BSM is automatically turned off when the trailer's electrical connector is connected.
  • When pulling a trailer other than with a Mazda genuine trailer hitch, or while an accessory such as a bicycle carrier is installed to the rear of the vehicle, turn off the BSM. Otherwise, the radar’s radio waves will be blocked causing the BSM to not operate normally.
  • The brightness of the BSM warning lights is linked to the panel light control.

Refer to Dashboard Illumination (Search).

Close Note
open_close_btn.png

When the Vehicle Exit Warning operates (Some Models)

The Vehicle Exit Warning operates when all of the following conditions are met.

• The vehicle is stopped.
  • Within 3 minutes after the vehicle power is switched OFF or the vehicle power is switched ON.
  • The system detects an approaching vehicle.

When the Vehicle Exit Warning operates, the driver is notified of the presence of an approaching vehicle using the warning lights and the instrument cluster screen display (white)*1.

BSM warning light
65390300-khece01-001.png

65390300-khece02-003.png

65390300-khece02-004.png

1. The instrument cluster screen display (white) is displayed only when the instrument cluster is set to the i-ACTIVSENSE display. However, when the vehicle power is OFF, the instrument cluster screen display (white) is not displayed.

In addition, when the door in the direction in which an approaching vehicle is detected is opened, the driver is notified of the danger by flashing of the warning lights, the warning sound, and the instrument cluster warning indication (amber).

BSM warning light
65390300-khece01-001.png

65390300-khece05-003.png

65390300-khece05-004.png

• The Vehicle Exit Warning may not operate normally if any of the following conditions is met.
    • The rear side radar sensors cannot detect an object.

Refer to Radar Sensors (Search).
    • There is a parked vehicle near your vehicle.
    • Moving objects are slow.
  • The Vehicle Exit Warning is not automatically turned off even if a Mazda genuine trailer hitch is used.
  • If a trailer is towed or a bicycle carrier is attached to the rear of the vehicle, the radar signal may be blocked and the Vehicle Exit Warning may not operate correctly.
  • The Vehicle Exit Warning may operate with stationary objects on the road or the roadside (such as guardrails, sidewalls, and parked vehicles).
  • The brightness of the BSM warning lights is linked to the panel light control.

Refer to Dashboard Illumination (Search).

Close Note
open_close_btn.png

Turning off the BSM and the Vehicle Exit Warning

There are 2 ways to turn off the BSM and the Vehicle Exit Warning.

• Turn off the BSM and the Vehicle Exit Warning using Mazda Connect.

Refer to the Settings section in the Mazda Connect Owner's Manual.
  • Turn off the BSM and the Vehicle Exit Warning using the i-ACTIVSENSE OFF switch.

Refer to How to Use the i-ACTIVSENSE OFF switch (Search).

Ironically, I think I saw my first glitch with the BSM system today, basically came up and was held for a significant amount of time on one side of the vehicle. I was cruising anywhere from 35-45 mph. It would randomly go away for a few seconds then come back and hold for 30-60 seconds. First time I have noticed any oddities with the active-sense system. Should be clear that there was nothing there, and nothing that could even be considered interference. I first noticed it was triggering more often and it seemed to line up with light poles / utility boxes, but then it just came up and was held for a fair amount of time.

Unfortunately it is very possible that I was receiving RF energy interference due to where I am at (near an air field) when this malfunction was occurring. It is the first time I have really noticed anything that seemed suspect. The few times I have had the cross traffic / potential forward collision signals pop up, they were good alerts / well timed.

Also had a weird audio system misfire over the weekend. Carplay displayed as the music should be playing. Turning the volume knob didnt do anything (the volume level display wouldn't come up when changing the volume). Had to turn the car off and back on to fix it (didnt try disconnecting my phone and reconnecting).

Last edited:
Had the BSM glitch out again on my way home so it wasn't RF interference (completely different area). No issues this AM. Wondering if its weather related as it was raining yesterday. Something to keep an eye on....

What is happening with me is the BSM alert is coming up and holding for long stretches of time, with absolutely nothing to even account for the initial trigger.

The two times I have seen this happen the system seems to be getting stuck in a loop, as the alert goes away for a few seconds then comes back and holds for 20-30 seconds at a time.

Had the BSM glitch out again on my way home so it wasn't RF interference (completely different area). No issues this AM. Wondering if its weather related as it was raining yesterday. Something to keep an eye on....

What is happening with me is the BSM alert is coming up and holding for long stretches of time, with absolutely nothing to even account for the initial trigger.

The two times I have seen this happen the system seems to be getting stuck in a loop, as the alert goes away for a few seconds then comes back and holds for 20-30 seconds at a time.
I've seen something similar as well.

I started another thread for this BSM issue we are seeing, hoping more CX-90 owners could possibly share their experiences. Maybe there is a pattern to this malfunction. Thank you for your input!

Not sure if Mazda is newer to wireless charging but heating up the phone is par for the course based on my prior experience with a '21 TLX and current '23 X3.

The charge is really there to keep your phone neutral while you're actively using CP/AA.

I like your post NyquistRate, good observations between the different options. This is my first Mazda as well. I was on my way to Honda to get my vehicle appraised for a soon to arrive pilot when I decided to stop by Mazda first and just check out the two CX-90's they had in stock. Went home with this Premium and canceled the Pilot purchase. Initial quality, design, handling and the $6k more offered for my trade swayed me to the CX-90.

IMG_0328.jpeg

I like your post NyquistRate, good observations between the different options. This is my first Mazda as well. I was on my way to Honda to get my vehicle appraised for a soon to arrive pilot when I decided to stop by Mazda first and just check out the two CX-90's they had in stock. Went home with this Premium and canceled the Pilot purchase. Initial quality, design, handling and the $6k more offered for my trade swayed me to the CX-90
View attachment 319494
That's Soul Red, right? Looks awesome, I've been waiting to see real life pictures of the 90 with the soul red! If you snap a pic of it with the sun shining on it please post it! Thanks for sharing though. I'm curious too, if you test drove the new Pilot already, how would you compare them?

Yes it is soul red. I have test drove the Pilot trailsport twice (that’s all the dealers have for demos around here). The pilot rode softer but also had more body roll. Probably expected from a trailsport trim but I couldn’t find a EXL to test drive. Road noise in the trailsport was louder than the CX-90. The pilot also seemed to resonate tire slapping in the cabin on road expansion joints. Acceleration was fine but didn’t feel as direct or responsive. The interior was fine but stitching on the leather seats wasn’t straight. I found multiple paint blemishes on a display EXL at the dealer and the panel gaps varied quite a bit. In general it was fine but didn’t excite me or make me feel like I was buying something special for myself like the CX-90 does. Here is a shot with morning sun hitting a rear quarter panel after a wash.

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpeg
    IMG_0323.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 120
Back