Rear Differential Oil Change Procedure for 2017+ CX-5?

83us $ per quart,the ebay shipping doubles the cost.its all good.not going to cheap on the car later to buy a new diff.in Israel stuff cost 10times more than the USA sometimes.

Hi guys, just come across this.
I have 2017 cx5, when the Rear Differential Oil Change needs to be changed?

Hi guys, just come across this.
I have 2017 cx5, when the Rear Differential Oil Change needs to be changed?
Mazda only says you need to change the rear differential when you across the deep water. But many’d replace it 40K ~ 70K miles as they prefer.

Read post #4 at the beginning of this thread. The only difference between gen-1 and gen-2 CX-5 is the specs on capacity of the rear differential is different, 0.37 quart vs. 0.48 quart. But you’d need about 0.75 quart to fill the rear differential to the fill hole as described in the shop manual. You want to replace the front transfer case gear lube too if you want to do the rear.

Mazda only says you need to change the rear differential when you across the deep water. But many’d replace it 40K ~ 70K miles as they prefer.

Read post #4 at the beginning of this thread. The only difference between gen-1 and gen-2 CX-5 is the specs on capacity of the rear differential is different, 0.37 quart vs. 0.48 quart. But you’d need about 0.75 quart to fill the rear differential to the fill hole as described in the shop manual. You want to replace the front transfer case gear lube too if you want to do the rear.
Thank you!! so the front and rear use the same fluid?
I done once for my old crv, and I have all the tools. my cx5 is about 85000KM so just wonder if should replace that.
Also do you guys do transmission fluid change as well? Also for brake oil do 2-3 years?

Thank you!! so the front and rear use the same fluid?
I done once for my old crv, and I have all the tools. my cx5 is about 85000KM so just wonder if should replace that.
Also do you guys do transmission fluid change as well? Also for brake oil do 2-3 years?
Yes, you want to use pretty pensive nowadays Mazda SG1 gear oil for both front transfer case and rear differential. You need more than one quart bottle for the change. See the thread in my previous post.

Most DIYers here do the ATF drain-and-fill or drop the pan with filter cartridge replacement at 45K ~ 70K miles. I’d use a simple brake fluid tester and decide when should I change the brake fluid.

Guide ATF Drain/Fill

2016.5 CX-5 Transmission fluid change questions

I changed the brake fluid the first time after 20 years and 182K miles of the service on my 1998 Honda CR-V.

For some reason, many car manufactures including Mazda and Honda don’t recommend any brake fluid change in their maintenance schedule for US market, but they, Mazda and Honda, do recommend brake fluid change with 2-year interval in other regions.

Just use brake fluid tester and change the brake fluid when the moisture level is reaching 2%.

View attachment 308204

C8455F0E-A053-4837-B14A-E7D15157EDEE.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, you want to use pretty pensive nowadays Mazda SG1 gear oil for both front transfer case and rear differential. You need more than one quart bottle for the change. See the thread in my previous post.

Most DIYers here do the ATF drain-and-fill or drop the pan with filter cartridge replacement at 45K ~ 70K miles. I’d use a simple brake fluid tester and decide when should I change the brake fluid.

Guide ATF Drain/Fill

2016.5 CX-5 Transmission fluid change questions

View attachment 318934
Thank you again!!

Back