CX-70 will have same exterior dimensions as CX-90

So far he’s the only one putting out this information, which contradicts everything we’ve heard so far that the CX-70 will be a wider version of the CX-60. If he’s correct there should be more info from other Mazda sources following soon.

I like Jonathon Sewell's videos, but he is very likely wrong this time.
Maybe the wheelbase is the same...

Based on romurs from Japan, CX-70 will be around 194 inches long, which is
similar in length to MDX and Lexus RX but with longer wheelbase.

Longer wheelbase is a plus as long as it does not increase turning radius.

Video guy should reveal the source of this information.
There is another thread on here somewhere where they said the information was revealed at a Mazda event for dealerships. Anyway, I have no idea if Video Guy is right or not, but we should find out for sure by the end of the year

I find it difficult to believe, and would be very disappointed.
Me too. If it’s the same chassis with a slightly smaller , sportier look, that would help. The rounded back end of the CX-90 looks like more of a family style vehicle to me. I think Mazda hit the current CX-9 styling out of the park. 👍🏻

Me too. If it’s the same chassis with a slightly smaller , sportier look, that would help. The rounded back end of the CX-90 looks like more of a family style vehicle to me. I think Mazda hit the current CX-9 styling out of the park. 👍🏻
Kind of like the Genesis GV80 and GV70.

In this article from the introduction of the CX-60, Mazda was quoted as saying the CX-70 would be wider than the CX-60. They did not mention it would be longer.

Mazda is still quiet on the final specifications of the CX-70, except to say it will be “a little wider” than the European CX-60 (for wider roads in North America)

I just came back from a CX-90 drive event near Montreal and mentioned my interest for the CX-70. The Mazda rep told me it'll be revealed in Q4 this year, I believe he said November.

As for the dimensions, I'd be surprised if it was the same length as the CX-90. Same or similar wheelbase I could see, but I see this being near the size of a Grand Cherokee.

That’s what this guys says, and he’s pretty adamant about it!
https://youtu.be/pwjL30VEkZs
Well, that would be stupid to have 3 gigantic SUVs (CX-9, CX-90 and CX-70) and 2 compact ones CX-5 and CX-50 and leave a big hold in the midsize for even longer than they already have. But then I had to source a LSD for my 2017 MX-5 from Canada because Mazda USA was too foolish to figure out the one place you sell the EVERYTHING car is the U.S.

As comparison, this comes from Mazda of North Miami. This seems much more reasonable, sane and in line with what Mazda stated when the CX-70 and CX-90 were announced:

The new 2024 Mazda CX-70 will occupy a space in our lineup that has been vacant since we retired the Mazda CX-7 in 2012. Slotting in above the compact Mazda CX-50, the Mazda CX-70 will share its platform and powertrains with the larger Mazda CX-90. It will be a two-row mid-size crossover that will aim to compete with vehicles such as the Jeep Grand Cherokee (194") and Honda Passport (189"), while also encroaching into more luxurious territory where SUVs such as the Lexus RX (192.5") reside.

As comparison, this comes from Mazda of North Miami. This seems much more reasonable, sane and in line with what Mazda stated when the CX-70 and CX-90 were announced:

The new 2024 Mazda CX-70 will occupy a space in our lineup that has been vacant since we retired the Mazda CX-7 in 2012. Slotting in above the compact Mazda CX-50, the Mazda CX-70 will share its platform and powertrains with the larger Mazda CX-90. It will be a two-row mid-size crossover that will aim to compete with vehicles such as the Jeep Grand Cherokee (194") and Honda Passport (189"), while also encroaching into more luxurious territory where SUVs such as the Lexus RX (192.5") reside.

I would guess not a lot of Mazda owners will cross shop Chevy, but the Blazer RS seems a logical comparison at least for performance. Great power with 308 HP, torque vectoring so it has great dynamics, tows 4500 lb. Naturally if they could give it similar driving/capability but with a Mazda interior, and control the MSRP (RSs are expensive) could be interesting.

“… the Mazda CX-70 will share its platform and powertrains with the larger Mazda CX-90.”
Possible good news for those who aren’t into “quality risks” of buying 1st year redesigns. CX-90 might be the guinea pig.

“… the Mazda CX-70 will share its platform and powertrains with the larger Mazda CX-90.”
Possible good news for those who aren’t into “quality risks” of buying 1st year redesigns. CX-90 might be the guinea pig.
It's still going to be a new vehicle. The CX-50 shares the platform with the CX-30. But, yes, I think they will have worked out some kinks in the base platform by the time it appears.

If I walk into my Mazda dealer and see this where the CX-70 is to the CX-90 what the GV70 (right) is to the GV80, I will own one. Looking for shorter, lower, lighter 2 row. I want it to be a driver's vehicle for people that like the elevated seating position but know they will never any further off road than a gravel or grass parking lot!

GV80GV70.jpg

Back