Kudos to AutoZone for battery change

rockethead26

2019 CX-5 Reserve
:
N. Arizona @ 7000'
I went to Auto Zone at 7:30 this morning (their opening time) to buy and have them install a Duralast Group 35 Gold battery in my 2019 GT-R. My OEM battery is 3 1/2 years old and functioned fine, but I'm a believer in beating the dead battery syndrome for a few bucks a year.

The woman who installed it knew what she was doing and had no issues with the removal or reinstall. I made sure my windows were up and doors unlocked as per a recommendation here. I had no warning lights after the car started and all my favorites for music and navigation were still there. Absolutely painless and I was pulling out of their parking lot at 7:51. I think that may be a world record.

What? So, she didn't need Jack Rabbit's 24 point maximum drama procedure? 🤷 Huh, how bout that. 😉
Yeah, it was 1) remove the safety harness, 2) disconnect terminals, 3) remove the padded liner 4) lift out battery then the reverse steps. No drama.

Last edited:
Yeah, it was 1) remove the safety harness, 2) disconnect terminals, 3) remove the padded liner 4) lift out battery then the reverse steps. No drama.
Did the woman use some sort of memory retaining battery or something of the sort so that all of your settings didn't get wiped out?

I’ve noticed that sometimes when I disconnect the battery, my settings don’t get wiped out. Maybe the car has some sort of backup power source that only lasts for an hour or so. The last time I replaced my battery in my 2013 CX-5 that everything was wiped out but it took a while to take the old battery to Walmart and get a new one. They’ve made it such a process now. The funny thing was, since I mostly use Spotify and hardly listen to the radio anymore, I couldn’t remember all the stations I had programmed in before. Also, the auto up and down of the driver’s window wasn’t working. I found on YouTube the procedure to reset that.

I changed out the battery in my 2019 GT-R over the weekend and also didn't lose any settings. The windows did require a reset for the auto up/down. And I had previously disabled the auto fold function upon lock for the mirrors and they had reset themselves to auto fold again. I had to look up the trick to disable that feature again.

I should probably check my DRL's as well, I shut them off right after I bought the car and they may have also reset to the factory default.

Perhaps if the battery is swapped out quickly enough the settings aren't lost.

Did the woman use some sort of memory retaining battery or something of the sort so that all of your settings didn't get wiped out?
I disconnect my battery every winter before heading to Florida for two months. The radio station presets are retained. However, the trip meter mileages are lost as well as the miles to next maintenance service, meh. Computer adjustments for performance, fuel economy or "driving style"? There is no discernable change in gas mileage or how the vehicle drives.

In short, no big deal.

I was thinking the same thing, maybe an hour's worth of volatile memory.
The fact the radio presets are retained after two months indicates the vehicle has some sort of non-volatile memory. What Mazda chose to store there (or not) is variously interesting or a mystery..

I seem to recall @yrwei52 reported recently the same in his 2016 as in my 2020--stations saved, trip meter readings lost.

PS: When I said "driving style" earlier I forgot to add :ROFLMAO:.

⋯ I seem to recall @yrwei52 reported recently the same in his 2016 as in my 2020--stations saved, trip meter readings lost.
Yes, when I replace the battery on my 2016 CX-5 I lost both trip odometers A and B. And the (only) driver side auto up / down power window required a reset. Radio stations didn’t get lost like my other vehicles.

I did it twice with battery disconnection for about an hour. Same results on both.

Yes, when I replace the battery on my 2016 CX-5 I lost both trip odometers A and B. And the (only) driver side auto up / down power window required a reset. Radio stations didn’t get lost like my other vehicles.

I did it twice with battery disconnection for about an hour. Same results on both.
In my 2020 there has been no problem with driver's window.

I checked my trip odometers today and they are still there and my maintenance schedule is still there but I did need to do the front windows auto up/down resets. That took 5 seconds each. That's the only thing I've discovered so far. No driving anomalies, so I'm still a very happy camper.

I checked my trip odometers today and they are still there and my maintenance schedule is still there but I did need to do the front windows auto up/down resets. That took 5 seconds each. That's the only thing I've discovered so far. No driving anomalies, so I'm still a very happy camper.
I can understand Mazda since saved the trip odometer values in the non-volatile memory on gen-2 CX-5 as I really feel these values should be saved without battery power and that caught me by surprise. But why HardRightEdg lost his trip odometer values on his 2020 CX-5 which is different from your 2019 CX-5 is a mystery to me.

Since your 2019 CX-5 has 4 auto up / down power windows but you only needed to do the reset at front but not rear auto up / down power windows?

Last edited:
I can understand Mazda since saved the trip odometer valves in the non-volatile memory on gen-2 CX-5 as I really feel these values should be saved without battery power and that caught me by surprise. But why HardRightEdg lost his trip odometer values on his 2020 CX-5 which is different from your 2019 CX-5 is a mystery to me.

Since your 2019 CX-5 has 4 auto up / down power windows but you only needed to do the reset at front but not rear auto up / down power windows?
Ah, sorry. I didn't even know the auto window function was in the back seats. I'm never back there. I'm sure I will have to reset those as well.

I can understand Mazda since saved the trip odometer valves in the non-volatile memory on gen-2 CX-5 as I really feel these values should be saved without battery power and that caught me by surprise. But why HardRightEdg lost his trip odometer values on his 2020 CX-5 which is different from your 2019 CX-5 is a mystery to me.
@rockethead26 had his battery disconnected for only a few minutes whereas I was disconnected for two months. But considering my driver's window is fine whereas his was not suggests something else: mid-generation fiddling. I assume you guys are talking about the window's "express" mode, one flick of the switch to raise or lower like in just about any car.

There are probably hundreds of things they mess with from year to year or even mid-year that you never know about unless something goes wrong like those new turbo valve seals that started failing.

Back