Correct battery for 2021 Mazda CX-5 Turbo - 00EP-18-022F?

:
Toronto, ON
:
2021 CX-5 GT Turbo
My old battery died after 2.5 years, car wouldn't start anymore. Mazda dealership replaced it under warranty.

00EP-18-022F - is this the correct battery for a 2021 CX-5 Turbo? It seems small in the battery box, I'm not sure if it's smaller than the old one, but it's smaller than the battery clamp.

Attachments

• B05.jpeg
    B05.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 195
  • B04.jpeg
    B04.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 189
  • B03.jpeg
    B03.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 183
  • B02.jpeg
    B02.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 196
  • B01.jpeg
    B01.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 186
According to the OM, same battery spec for NA and Turbo. Diff for diesel engine (needing more current/amperage).
1681757238056.png

What is the CCA (cold cranking amperage) and group size of your new battery?
Is that same as your old one?
I see OE battery is used by could be a wrong size. Guessing here.

According to the OM, same battery spec for NA and Turbo. Diff for diesel engine (needing more current/amperage).
View attachment 318630

What is the CCA (cold cranking amperage) and group size of your new battery?
Is that same as your old one?
I see OE battery is used by could be a wrong size. Guessing here.

Unfortunately I did not take a picture of the original battery...

550 CCA, not sure of the group size, I guess 35?

OP,
I compared yours to mine ('22 Turbo), there is a paper box that contains the battery with foams between the box and battery. These things (box and foams) seem to be missing from yours.
That is why there appears to be gaps between the battery and clamp.

Attachments

• 20230417_164451.jpg
    20230417_164451.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 157
OP,
I compared yours to mine ('22 Turbo), there is a paper box that contains the battery with foams between the box and battery. These things (box and foams) seem to be missing from yours.
That is why there appears to be gaps between the battery and clamp.
My 2019 Turbo has the surrounding box with foam as well.

Looks like a plain old Group 35.
Physically measure the battery and then compare it to a Group 35's standard measurement, see if it's the same.

In my wife's MZ5, it also calls for a Group 35, but there's enough room that I put a Group 24 in it. That got me a small boost in CCA, RC, and AH for the same price.

35's and 24's are the same width and height, but the 24 is like 1½" longer or something like that.

thats the mazda oem battery in US (the original ome that comes with car from factory is not sold in US) but they forgot or were too lazy to install back the plastic cover around the battery. I would go back and ask for it.
It does help with the heat to some situations.

My old battery died after 2.5 years, car wouldn't start anymore. Mazda dealership replaced it under warranty.

00EP-18-022F - is this the correct battery for a 2021 CX-5 Turbo? It seems small in the battery box, I'm not sure if it's smaller than the old one, but it's smaller than the battery clamp.

Head back to the dealership to get your battery cover back/replaced. It's about $40 CDN to replace (if buying brand new from the dealer). Part number should be PE01-18-59XA.

It's common for people to take the old battery out and forget to move the battery cover onto the new battery either before or after installing it. That cover helps to isolate the battery from the heat and the cold, so I would definitely have the dealer replace it on their dime (if they lost yours).

The foam insulator on the batter sides is to protect the battery from hot air blowing on the battery. Battery installer either don't understand that or don't care. JMO. Ed

Thank you all for the advice!

It was the plastic / foam insulation that they forgot to replace. I called the dealership and they found it, and installed it back in.

Attachments

• Ba01.jpg
    Ba01.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Ba02.jpg
    Ba02.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 147
  • Ba03.jpg
    Ba03.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 135
Ha. I would worry about going back to that dealer again.
Who knows next time what they will forget to put back?!
;)

Ha. I would worry about going back to that dealer again.
Who knows next time what they will forget to put back?!
;)

I don't trust that dealer either, but it's the only one in my little town. I'd have to drive 2h to the nearest big city to find another dealer...

thats the mazda oem battery in US (the original ome that comes with car from factory is not sold in US) but they forgot or were too lazy to install back the plastic cover around the battery. I would go back and ask for it.
It does help with the heat to some situations.
In EU they don’t use US Group number for car batteries, hence the Mazda part number 00EP-18-022F on the label. The OEM batteries in EU should be made by some local Euro automotive battery manufacture.

The OEM batteries sold by US Mazda are from Interstate. The batteries in CX-5 from factory are from Panasonic.

You don't need a college degree in thermodynamics to know that hot air blowing on a battery is not good for it. Some people don't display common sense.

what's your mileage?
2.5 yrs is ridiculously low lifespan, something is off
Unfortunately, not uncommon to hear of batteries lasting only a year on new CX-5's. 2.5 is actually decent. Mine is a bit over 2yrs old now. We will see how it does.

Unfortunately, not uncommon to hear of batteries lasting only a year on new CX-5's. 2.5 is actually decent. Mine is a bit over 2yrs old now. We will see how it does.
I'm on almost 3 years, original battery and nearly 36k miles. Battery still tests out good.

Back