2013~2016 CX-5 Power Seat Slide Adjuster Motor…Small Cable Part #?

The broken short motor cable was the culprit with my power seat, unfortunately, I cannot find a part# or reference to replacing in any repair manual. Anyone have the part# or source to purchase?

Take a look at the thread ...

They mention part TK81-88-0D1 for the cable

The broken short motor cable was the culprit with my power seat, unfortunately, I cannot find a part# or reference to replacing in any repair manual. Anyone have the part# or source to purchase?
The part no. of the power seat cable you need should be TK81-88-0D1 as mentioned by HyFlyer above:

6494130D-6EE2-4CDD-8B2F-C323AE8947D3.jpeg

FC7F766D-6E7D-4FD5-8AE6-E8DF32F650E3.jpeg

You can read the TSB 09-011/17 with part number listed and replacement instruction included here:

Power-seat noise

I bought this power seat cable a couple of years ago as a spare at my Mazda dealer and it was about $15 at the time!

For the broken short motor cable which isn’t available from Mazda, you can try several remedies posted here:

2013 CX-5 power seat parts

Last edited:
The part no. of the power seat cable you need should be TK81-88-0D1 as mentioned by HyFlyer above:

View attachment 318427
View attachment 318428

You can read the TSB 09-011/17 with part number listed and replacement instruction included here:

Power-seat noise

I bought this power seat cable a couple of years ago as a spare at my Mazda dealer and it was about $15 at the time!
The drivers seat motor started screeching last week. Yesterday the cable (TK81-88-0D1)
was replaced and it resolved the issue.

$22 for the part, $51 for the labor and $9 for shop supplies. Mazda Extended Confidence service plan covered all but the supplies. First claim since Factory warranty expired 3.5 years and 33k miles ago. (69k total miles on my trusty GT).

Not sure I’ll break even on the extended warranty, but still have 3.5 years and 31k miles before it expires.

The drivers seat motor started screeching last week. Yesterday the cable (TK81-88-0D1)
was replaced and it resolved the issue.

$22 for the part, $51 for the labor and $9 for shop supplies. Mazda Extended Confidence service plan covered all but the supplies. First claim since Factory warranty expired 3.5 years and 33k miles ago. (69k total miles on my trusty GT).

Not sure I’ll break even on the extended warranty, but still have 3.5 years and 31k miles before it expires.
PaulZooms, thanks for your response but that is the long cable that spans across the width of the seat adjuster frame. The short cable that is directly from the motor to the closest seat adjuster track is the one that I need. I am going to see if I can measure what's needed (+- 2" length) and have a machine shop make up for me.

@Eddie B. Did you see the thread that yrwei52 posted above? It shows alternatives for the short cable too.

RedBaron, thank you for referring me to the post by yrwei52 which I followed and have ordered the short 2" cable on eBay for $24 from nic32882. Also, the pictures of the short broken cable that were posted were exactly the same as my broken cable situation. Since I was able to remove the motor and cables without removing the seat ( similar problem in that the seat failed all the way back and a wrench could not access the seat bolt) I expect to be able to install the short cable when I receive. Thank you everyone for the input. Eddie B.

⋯ I expect to be able to install the short cable when I receive.
The replacement part you ordered won’t be the speedometer cable type like the original as you can see in post #6 in that thread by the OP. Instead, it will be a solid stainless rod / shaft and it’ll serve the same purpose stronger and better.

AE417CFF-2AB1-479B-84E1-DA92301F8FF8.jpeg

ACD1278C-BA7C-42A5-8D6D-28D34BC73846.jpeg

Yes, I understand that the replacement cable will be a solid piece of stainless steel and since it is a very short length it should not need to be very flexible like the long cable. By the way, those are excellent close up pics of the original broken and new cables which give a very clear picture of the situation.

I think the original short cable is designed to fail in case the seat gets jammed on that side. If the replacement cable is a solid piece of stainless steel, it will not break if the seat gets jammed - something more expensive will fail, like the motor or the gear drive. Problem is I can't find the OEM short cable anywhere - does Mazda not make it available? If not, then may a curse be upon Mazda.

I think the original short cable is designed to fail in case the seat gets jammed on that side. If the replacement cable is a solid piece of stainless steel, it will not break if the seat gets jammed - something more expensive will fail, like the motor or the gear drive. Problem is I can't find the OEM short cable anywhere - does Mazda not make it available? If not, then may a curse be upon Mazda.
No, Mazda doesn’t sell the short flexible steel braided cable for its power seat in the US. If it breaks, you need to get the whole seat bottom which’ll cost your hundreds. I have seen CX-5’s short flexible steel braided cable for sale in China. Unless somehow you can import it here, the $25 solid shaft is your only choice in the US.

2013 CX-5 power seat parts

AEB0CFE1-BB40-474A-B47C-F6F446E2CE05.jpeg

@yrwei52 thank you for confirming - you are the expert on this issue! May a double curse be upon Mazda. I'm going to try to fabricate a short flexible shaft out of a speedometer cable.

Update: I found a perfect flexible short (50 mm) shaft for $9 including shipping from China on AliExpress. It took only 11 days from order to delivery. See photo below.

The solid shaft sold on Amazon for $25 is a ripoff. At Home Depot, you can get 1/8" square key stock 12 inches long for $2 - enough to make 6 shafts.

As I mentioned above, I think the solid shaft is a bad idea. If the seat jams, then the shaft will not break and something more expensive will fail, like the motor or the gear drive.

Hope this is helpful to someone.
IMG_1776.jpg

Update: I found a perfect flexible short (50 mm) shaft for $9 including shipping from China on AliExpress. It took only 11 days from order to delivery. See photo below.

The solid shaft sold on Amazon for $25 is a ripoff. At Home Depot, you can get 1/8" square key stock 12 inches long for $2 - enough to make 6 shafts.

As I mentioned above, I think the solid shaft is a bad idea. If the seat jams, then the shaft will not break and something more expensive will fail, like the motor or the gear drive.

Hope this is helpful to someone.
View attachment 323667
Nice find! Here’s another post for the same part from AliExpress:

Hey guys. The short cable/shaft is available on AliExpress.

I've just ordered it, hope it will fit. Ordered 50mm.

Some also are complaining the solid shaft is noisy in addition to lack of breaking-away protection you mentioned.

I just went through this. I couldn't find any videos of anyone doing the repair so I made one
the different cable parts are also linked in my video description as well as the 1/8" square metal pipe which is what I used for the repair. I didn't trust aliexpress after reading someone else didn't get their order and I was able to get the 1/8" rod from home depot for $2.10

Latest posts

Back