CX-5 Driving Comparison Turbo vs Non

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I happily own a 2020 Signature Turbo but I'm curious. Does anyone here have experience driving both versions? How would you compare the driving experience, regarding acceleration and so on?

I have a 2016 Touring and a 2019 Reserve. Totally different vehicles. The 16 is fun to drive and nimble but lacks the acceleration of the turbo. I would love the 16 with a turbo. The turbo just delivers perfect power through all gears. Accelerating on a hill near my house with the NA I have to continiously keep pressing the accelerator pedal to maintain constant speed (since gravity is bleeding away speed) but with the turbo it just seems effortless to maintain a constant speed.
If I were going to buy another Mazda it would definetely be a turbo.

I have '17 NA and '22 Turbo.
The latter is more fuel thirsty, but it puts smile on my face every time I press the gas pedal... highway passing is a breeze.

Yes, hill climbing puts the NA into gear hunting between 3rd and 4th, going south bound on Highway 5 into LA. The turbo stays happy on 4th.

I would say exactly the same:) very true about the gears and hills. have both.
Prefer the turbo even though I still like the non turbo one. Whoever tells you the non turbo is fine for acceleration is not accurate. Its a nice engine but it needs high revs and sport mode to be ok on the highway, for quick passing and for highway ramps.

I had a 19" GT and traded for a 21 GTR. Very similar in all ways except acceleration. The turbo is so nice to have. AWD is also a nice feature as our GT was FWD.

We have a 16.5 touring and a 19 signature diesel. I like them both and the 2.5 NA does an adequate job motoring around. The biggest difference I notice is when you load them down with a cabin full of passengers and stuff in the back, then the 2.5 NA struggles and the diesel just makes you smile with gobs of torque (which the 2.5 turbo has about the same torque levels so I imagine it is similar) .

I have no regrets about opting for the turbo. My 23 is a joy to drive. The torque curve is nearly perfect. I also love the option of using either 87 or 93 octane as well. It’s an option that I have not explored much since mine always gets to drink the good stuff. Fortunately for me I have a Costco near me so I can get top tier 93 for not much more than 87 at all of the other gas stations.

prior to getting my 2023 turbo I had a 2021 cx5 rental. Our crv touring was totaled and we had planned on replacing it with another crv but I liked the rental so much we decided to check out new cx5's. I test drove a new crv touring hybrid, cx5 and cx5 turbo back to back and there was no comparison in how much better seat of the pants the turbo felt. So much more responsive and I now have a close to 1600 miles on it and I find excuses to exercise the turbo at every change.

Latest posts

Back