Looking for CX-5 brake pads (turbo model)

Oceantango

2019 GTR
In looking around for brake pads (turbo model). Are the OEM ones a good buy for the quality? I would prefer the OEM but it seems their cost is more.

Last edited:
In looking around for brake pads (turbo model) are the OEM ones a good buy for the quality? I would prefer the OEM even if they cost more.
If you prefer OEM pads then go for it. There’s nothing wrong on OEM pads but you really want to make sure NOT to get Mazda “Value” OEM brake pads with the part number ending with “MV”. Just get the regular Mazda OEM pads which has the same part number like your factory ones without “MV” ending.

Thanks yrwei52.
I will make sure I ask next time.... gee.. Learn something new everyday.

Thanks yrwei52.
I will make sure I ask next time.... gee.. Learn something new everyday.
I also just learned recently by another member that Mazda even is selling OEM “Value” spark plug set of 4 for much cheaper price! I haven’t checked it out yet, but if it’s made by NGK, I may give it a try.

I also run OEM pads and rotors. For your rotors, at least for the first change, try to have them turned before you spend money on new. (Yes turning rotors is fine, there's even a page on the Factory Service Manual that says this is appropriate.) If you have an O'Reilly's Auto Parts near you, almost all of their stores turn rotors for a very reasonable sum, my store is like $10 each.

As far as plugs go, the NGK OE Laser Iridium (NOT Iridium IX!) are the OEM plugs, just without the "Mazda" logo on them. Some people say Denso also contracts to make some of the OEM plugs, but I've never ran them, so I won't comment there. The MGK's work though.

This has been discussed as nauseum on this site, and the NGK Lasers are what I run in my Mazdas. They about $12 each, give or take.

Akebono brake pads is an excellent brand, low dust and quiet, have had them on for a few years with a new set of OEM rotors. I'm currently looking to install a pair of Wagner TQ pads with Centric rotors, I've had good results with that brand as well. OEM replacements were ok for me but I think they had a tendency to throw more dust.

Last edited:
I also run OEM pads and rotors. For your rotors, at least for the first change, try to have them turned before you spend money on new. (Yes turning rotors is fine, there's even a page on the Factory Service Manual that says this is appropriate.) If you have an O'Reilly's Auto Parts near you, almost all of their stores turn rotors for a very reasonable sum, my store is like $10 each.
Agreed, and that’s what I do when I replace the brakes.

As far as plugs go, the NGK OE Laser Iridium (NOT Iridium IX!) are the OEM plugs, just without the "Mazda" logo on them.
Are you saying Mazda OEM “Value” spark plugs are NGK Laser Iridium plug without “Mazda” logo?

Some people say Denso also contracts to make some of the OEM plugs, but I've never ran them, so I won't comment there. The MGK's work though.
Although Mazda manuals do list a second part number on spark plugs made by Denso used by SkyActiv-G’s and sometimes installed from factory, they usually aren’t available at US Mazda dealers. You can only find those from overseas or some eBay sellers.

When replacing front pads should the brake mounting kit (L2Y6-33-29Z) be replaced as well? Apparently the OEM pads don’t come with this mounting hardware.

I got the hardware as well. I also clean up the calipers on where the hardware resides with a wire wheel, and I coat all those surfaces with copper anti-seize. For the slider pins, I coat those with silicone paste.

I noticed a tsb (04-001/22) concerning ”protectors” that attach to the guide plates and I figured the kit would be best to use.

When replacing front pads should the brake mounting kit (L2Y6-33-29Z) be replaced as well? Apparently the OEM pads don’t come with this mounting hardware.
I may just reuse these mounting hardwares the first time I replace the pads. These hardwares are included in the OEM brake pad set on my Honda CR-V.

I noticed a tsb (04-001/22) concerning ”protectors” that attach to the guide plates and I figured the kit would be best to use.
If you don’t have the “knocking” noise when you change the moving direction with brakes, you shouldn’t need these protection pads. Besides, these pads are pretty pensive if I remember it correctly.

Here are the torque settings on caliper slide pins and caliper brackets for gen-2 CX-5. The first picture is for 2.5L NA with single-piston front brake caliper. The second picture is for 2.5T with larger dual-piston front brake caliper. The third picture is for rear brake caliper. Notice that the torque spec for caliper pins at front on the 2.5T is significantly higher than the 2.5L NA at 62~68 ft-lb.

And the workshop manual states the rubber grease needs to be used on the the caliper pins and the replacement of rubber boot on pins is required.

AC0A6C16-4B1D-40F1-89CA-7DF66A4A4DDE.jpeg

E20D850D-C150-401E-90E1-6D54F354A946.jpeg

85E2A191-BA0C-4F74-A7FB-93C43D341AD9.jpeg

Does anyone know if the OEM Mazda pads are made in Japan?
After I did some research on OEM front brake pads for the 2.5T, I found it’s really confusing. Based on the latest TSB 04-001/22, the current part number for 2.5T front pads should be TNY9-33-28Z (actually it’s now TNY9-33-28ZA), and the shim set is KCYR-33-29Z. Most Mazda OEM parts online sellers don’t list front brake pads for the CX-5 turbo, not even for the CX-9! The TSB did mention “For CX-5, only vehicles with the “PAD SUBSET, FRT CALIPER” TKY8-33-28Z, TAY0-33-28Z or KCYR-33-28Z applicable for the VIN are subject to this TSB.” This indicated Mazda has been using several different pads for the 2.5T. And this means the TNY9-33-28ZA pads don’t need that expensive “protector”.

I’d call the parts department at my Mazda dealer giving my VIN, and see what is the most current part numbers for pad set and shim set.

As for where are these made on Mazda OEM pads, I know most of them (not the “Value Line” pads) including those for 2.5L NA are made in Japan. As for TNY9-33-28Z pads for turbo, it’s hard to tell.

B7F5CCA6-071D-49AB-9384-B005BA08EDEA.png

Searches on a couple of Mazda parts online sales using the vin only come up with the TKY83328ZB for a 2019 CX5 GTR.
I believe the TNY9-33-28ZA applies to the 2016-2018 CX9 in this tsb. It is a little confusing
I do have the click from the pad moving in the caliper when changing direction which appears to be a CX5 issue by the tsb.

Back