What brand of oil and filter do you use? 2017 CX-9

Hello, for those who do their own oil change on their cx9, what brand of oil and filter do you use? I know that it takes full synthetic for turbo engines, thank you for the advice.

That's not necessarily true. To my knowledge, the owners manual just says to use SAE 5W30. Nowhere does Mazda say it has to be full synthetic.
As for filters, on a personal level, I buy them at the dealership, and then go to a quick lube place and give them my filter to put on. I also ask them to give me back the old filter.

I’m a fan of Wix oil filters (57002) for the Mazda. For oil I always use full synthetic. I’m not brand loyal and have used Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil 1, and Valvoline. I’ve also used Costcos Kirkland oil. I change it on schedule typically every 6000-7000mi.

I've used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Castrol Edge, and currently Costco's Kirkland Signature, always with the OEM Mazda filters (initially the Japanese PY8W-14-302 filter that has since been superseded by the Thai 1WPY-14-302). I've been using Kirkland for the last 20k kms and its been perfectly fine, though I do feel like the engine was a tiny bit quieter with Pennzoil. Barely noticeable though.

On all of my vehicles, I use OEM filters. They aren't any more expensive than aftermarket, and sometimes even cheaper.

There is no industry standard for oil filters. Filter makers reverse engineer the stock filter and make one that matches or pick one out of their catalog that probably is close enough. Oil is different. The car's owner's manual gives us the industry standard spec for oil, and that's we we're to follow. As noted, 5W-30 is the viscosity spec. API Service Category SP is the current spec that supeceded the older spec of SN. ILSAC standard GF-6A is current and superceded GF-5.

So...pick any top brand oil. Synthetic isn't required, but may be helpful for our turbocharged engines especially if you drive where it is frigid cold, or very hot, or plan on owning your car for a few hundred thousand miles. If you're still in the car's engine warranty it's probably wise to stick with the Mazda oil filter. Otherwise use Mazda, WIX/NAPA, Baldwin, or a few other top brands...and probably not the cheapos.

hello, thank you all for the advice, I went to the dealer for the filters and it was not more expensive than an aftermarket and I took castrol edge as oil at the store, thank you

I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum because they offer a free 15 year 500,000 mile engine warranty if you keep receipts and records of changes.

For my records, I have a separate Google Calendar setup that I call "Car Maintenance" to keep track of everything I do to my vehicles, including date, mileage, what I did, and part numbers.

Kirkland 5w-30 Full Synthetic with the Mazda Thai 1WPY-14-302 filter. Never Fram. 5.5 Qts on mine

Last edited:
About oil filter brands...
As with so many things, the big get bigger. I think there are four oil filter makers that operate in the U.S. as well as world wide.
...Parker Hannifin makes Baldwin, Hastings
...Mann+Hummel makes WIX (and NAPA), Purolator, Bosch, & Mann
...First Brands makes Fram and LuberFiner (for diesels) (as well as Trico, Anco, Raybestos, Centric and other car parts)
...Champion Laboratories makes Champ and 30+ private label brands...ACDelco, Amsoil, CarQuest, O'Reilly Microgard, Royal Purple, SuperTech, STP, and others

Every filter maker makes multiple quality and price levels of their filters. WIX has at least 3 quality levels of oil filters. I try for the best if I don't get OEM. I avoid the cheapo types that sell to Iffy-Lube places at a wholesale price of a buck or two each and that are found in stores as the low price leader.

There are good filter makers elsewhere. I used HiFloFiltro motorcycle oil filters from Thailand with very good results. One of their products is the K&N motorcyle oil filters (not K&N car oil filters). HiFlo also has the TÜV certification for German motorcycle filters, a good mark.

Hello, for those who do their own oil change on their cx9, what brand of oil and filter do you use? I know that it takes full synthetic for turbo engines, thank you for the advice.
I have CX-9 2018. 120,000 km now. Always has had 5W30 synthetic oil. Right now, I think non-dealer garage put in 5W20, not 5W30, based on details on their invoice. Leave aside I could go back and demand 5W30. Does it really matter if I drive next 6000 km on 5W20? I know what the manual says should be used. I know what the cap on the freakin oil filler hole says. But does using 5W20 REALLY matter? Excessive piston wear? Turbo harm? Etc.

Most new cars use 0W-20. I'm honestly surprised that yours doesn't call for that.

But 5W-20 vs 5W-30 isn't a huge difference, not nearly so much as 0W-20 vs 5W-30.

I'm just using stock Mazda filters and moly 0W-20 oil since new... only 78k miles but no noticeable oil consumption so no reason to change course.

The second number on the viscosity grade is the hot temperature viscosity. In summer weather I'd use no less than the specified number. This testing is done at 100°C and 150°C. (The first number with the W is the winter testing viscosity done at very low minus temperatures.) (I know it's not in the manual, but I'd run 5W-40 in our CX-9 turbocharged engines in the blistering heat of the U.S. southwest, and 5W-20 or 0W-20 in frigid winters in deep negative temperatures. Fortunately I live in a temperate coastal location and rarely drive in triple digit summer or deep minus winter regions.)

SAE J300 specifications
1689528721572.png

Back