Purchasing Used 2021 CX-9 GT, add warranty?

Looking for advice from you strangers in the Internet.

I am picking up a 2021 CX-9 GT this week. The car only has 13k miles on it, so I still have factory warranty left, until September of 2024(or until I hit 30k).

The used car dealer is offering an ASC Factory Type Coverage warranty until 8 years or 120k miles for $2,000. That would cover me until September 2029. Is this warranty necessary or worth the price? It comes with a $0 deductible.

I have been leaving towards not getting the warranty, but I have never owned a car with so many options and features. Peace of mind would be nice but keeping $2,000 in my pocket would be nice too. If you were offered this warranty would you purchase it?

Generally speaking, no. It would be very difficult for a stranger over the Internet to give you advice without looking thru the contract. If you read thru any forum, you'll see it's like pulling teeth to get something warrantied.

Buying a warranty is basically placing a bet that your car is going to break. That just seems wrong to me and I never have done that. But.....If its a 21 your gunna want to get those valve stem seals changed before your out of warranty.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230108-190106_Xodo Docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20230108-190106_Xodo Docs.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 95
You do know the factory all inclusive warranty is 36K miles, not 30? And the Mazda powertrain warranty also is included for 5 year/60k? I assume you got the vehicle at a very good price since you are not buying from a Mazda dealer and not getting the Mazda CPO 7 year, 100k mile powertrain warranty? ASC appears to have decent reputation....is the warranty all inclusive (not just powertrain) for another 6 1/2 years? Mazda has an excellent reliability record.

Just read the Exclusions on whatever policy they put in front of you. That's where you'll determine if it's worth the money. You'd be amazed at what is excluded in these third party policies.

1--what if this 3rd party underwriter goes bust? You're stuck with nothing for your $2k.
2--Read the contract, read the contract, read the contract. Read what's excluded. Read what's included. Read what you must do to keep the contract valid.

For example, someone wrote about their service contract (none of these are legally a warranty) that covers all oil lubricated parts of the engine. When the cylinder head cracked--not an oil lubricated part that cracked--they were stuck with nothing. Save your money.

Keep this in mind: This is an insurance policy. Insurance companies are in the business to make money, and not to aid or support their customers. If you make a claim of any kind, be it auto insurance, home insurance, whatever, their number one goal is to find a way NOT to pay you. They will use every trick/loophole they can find, to come up with a reason to deny your claim. It's what they do. The bottom line is their only consideration, and to heck with your problem.
Like others have said, read every sentence in the contract, twice, and make 100% sure you know exactly what is and isn't covered. Also, make sure you do the required maintenance on the vehicle, to keep the factory warranty valid.
My take? In 50 plus years of adulthood, I have never bought extended warranties on.....anything. Not on appliances, electronics...you name it. So far so good. I have never been burned.

I am kinda curious how a 2021 with 13,000miles gets on a used car lot. I am just guessing its not a Mazda Dealership. Probably not a lease return. Wonder what the carfax shows. Burning oil due to the valve seals? TSB says that can show up kinda early, like at 5000 miles. Sorry, I am the suspicious type! :)

Agree, a 21 on a "used car dealer" lot is a red flag by itself. Hopefully, OP has verified it's ownership history including a Carfax accident history report.

Most likely a repo and bought at auction or a trade in that was sent to auction. Could also be a flood or major accident car written off by insurance and sold at auction

Haha

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was surprised when this car became available as well. It is a unicorn, 21 Red AWD with tan interior and bench 2nd row. Carfax-no accidents and 1-owner. The VIN is in the range for the valve seals, so that is on my radar to get checked out under the factory warranty. Hopefully nothing malicious with this trade in. I did have it looked at by a 3rd party mechanic that I trust and he said the car looks great.

After this feed back here, I'm going to pass on the 3rd party warranty.

Good find! I like the bench better! Read the critera for those seals to get changed under warranty. They set the bar pretty low.. mearly showing up with low oil and the code set, thats it. No "when did you add oil last", no "lets top it off and trend the burn rate", nothing. You just show up with low oil and the code. I will let your imagination do the rest. The fact is, its not IF those defective seals fail, its when. Hell, they might be toast right now. Just a fyi

Just wanted to post that I just purchased an 8 year/75k mile genuine Mazda platinum extended protection plan with zero deductible through a Mazda dealer in Pennsylvania at a super price of $1400 for my 2020 CX-9 GT. It is the new car plan because my factory warranty is still good for a few weeks longer and as long as it is still under this warranty then you can purchase this plan.

If anyone wants to know which dealer and the contact there, please private message me. I'm not sure if im allowed to publically post their info.

I have NO affiliation to them. Just trying to help others considering purchasing a warranty get a great deal. I also have pricing on other variations of time and mileage but the one I picked worked best for me. I've contacted numerous dealers both close and afar and the price and ease of purchase was fantastic.

Tchman makes a very good point. If one decides to get an extended repair plan, shop around. These things are great for the dealership. Zero inventory cost. Whatever they make on it is pure profit. The same item from different dealers may have different cost but exactly the same coverage. Shop around.

Look back at post #8 by Buzz. These are exactly peace-of-mind insurance. A very small number actually end up saving money for the car owner, but if they help a new owner sleep better, they might be worth the cost.

Looking for advice from you strangers in the Internet.

I am picking up a 2021 CX-9 GT this week. The car only has 13k miles on it, so I still have factory warranty left, until September of 2024(or until I hit 30k).

The used car dealer is offering an ASC Factory Type Coverage warranty until 8 years or 120k miles for $2,000. That would cover me until September 2029. Is this warranty necessary or worth the price? It comes with a $0 deductible.

I have been leaving towards not getting the warranty, but I have never owned a car with so many options and features. Peace of mind would be nice but keeping $2,000 in my pocket would be nice too. If you were offered this warranty would you purchase it?
I picked up the exact same vehicle all the way to the trim. Did not pick up the maintenance or extended warranty.

Back