2017~2024 Clunk on sharp turns with brand new CX-5

Yes, I do :)
and they wiggle around annoyingly on rough roads. Have it in my to do list to add more cushioning in the holder but never did.

In shop now guys, tech advisor knew immediately when I said small oil leak above engine and under cover that it maybe the OCV/VVT solenoid and for the one pop noise advisor noted on driver side but during test drive slow speed over a driveway going forward we both heard driver and passenger side. Not when backing up so nothing at the rear. They might need cx-5 over night since it’s kind of busy.

Thank you for the update. Good luck and keep us posted. The ocv leak fix took about few hours in mine (i had it on the 2018 cx5) but they kept the car for a day for other fixes done at the same time. The OCV is a quick fix.

Thank you for the update. Good luck and keep us posted. The ocv leak fix took about few hours in mine (i had it on the 2018 cx5) but they kept the car for a day for other fixes done at the same time. The OCV is a quick fix.

For 2nd gen (17-23) I thought the valve cover needs to be taken off and the gasket material needs to be dried before driving?

Last edited:
If I recall the gasket is real gasket not rtv (thankfully). and yes the cover is removed
Came back but they need car overnight. OCV leak is confirmed and would need to be back ordered lol but knock/pop sound needed more time. The advisor did ride with mech so both heard it too.

Update: 2/21/23 Picked up my 21 gtr awd and the driver side pop is gone but passenger side is still there 🤦‍♂️. The receipt says: sound was on drivers side but ALL cowl bolts torqued to FACTORY SPECS. I guess it was not torqued to factory specs? Or factory specs is too low thats why its loose again? I didn't remembered hearing it when new. I guess I will tighten up the other side myself according to this photo its only two bolts:

Cowl bolts loose.JPG

For the OCV solenoid back ordered eta ..........JUNE!
🤦‍♂️

Update: 2/21/23 Picked up my 21 gtr awd and the driver side pop is gone but passenger side is still there 🤦‍♂️. The receipt says: sound was on drivers side but ALL cowl bolts torqued to FACTORY SPECS. I guess it was not torqued to factory specs? Or factory specs is too low thats why its loose again? I didn't remembered hearing it when new. I guess I will tighten up the other side myself according to this photo its only two bolts:

View attachment 317238

🤦‍♂️
Good to see they figure it out! Here's hoping it stays away (noise).

Its actually 4 on each side on the strut tower and 4 under the windshield. You can get to the other two on the strut tower by popping the plastic rivits and using a 12mm box wrench. But to do all 12 you gotta pull the big plastic cover off. Mazda CX-9 CX9 (CX-5) Cowl Bolts TSB Noise Creak Clunk Pop

Attachments

• 20230307_152139.jpg
    20230307_152139.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 20230307_152149.jpg
    20230307_152149.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 20230307_152158.jpg
    20230307_152158.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 129

View attachment 317238

🤦‍♂️
Did you figure out what your noise was? I have heard sub frame bolts (19mm and 17mm wrench), and sway bar end link nuts (14mm wrench) loose too. But for most people the cowl bolts is the culprit

Sway bar end links made this noise on my cx-5, very easy fix, you can can turn the wheel all the way too the the corner and shake them with you hands if they are loose that's your problem. That was the only problem I had on my 16 GT CX-5.

Sway bar end links made this noise on my cx-5, very easy fix, you can can turn the wheel all the way too the the corner and shake them with you hands if they are loose that's your problem. That was the only problem I had on my 16 GT CX-5.
Were the ball joints worn out on the end links or were the 14mm nuts loose?. The lower nuts were loose on my cx9. Where they connect to the sway bar. They were tight where they attached to the strut.

Were the ball joints worn out on the end links or were the 14mm nuts loose?. The lower nuts were loose on my cx9. Where they connect to the sway bar. They were tight where they attached to the strut.
The ball Joint itself was shot for sure on the passenger side. I replaced both with Mazda branded endlinks it happened at around 115,000 miles, very reliable SUV. I only replaced because of the clunk noise.

Good to see they figure it out! Here's hoping it stays away (noise).
Took a trip from SF to LA to VEGAS and same noise came back on BOTH sides!

Seems it only happens when I turn and the road is uneven it makes the sound! Seems when turning over uneven roads it (something) flexes thats why I hear it.

If no turns just over bumps or uneven road I dont hear it.
Edit
Maybe take it back and hope they have solution #2? My next appointment is maybe June when they have the OCV solenoid part so I figured they can do that too instead of wasting time also I dont drive it too much.

Last edited:
Did you figure out what your noise was? I have heard sub frame bolts (19mm and 17mm wrench), and sway bar end link nuts (14mm wrench) loose too. But for most people the cowl bolts is the culprit
update 5/11/23:
Brought back 21 cx-5 awd turbo GTR yesterday and today they said it might take a few days to rediagnose that sound so will provide a loaner. So should I take it? I don't know if my insurance covers it?

If I recall the gasket is real gasket not rtv (thankfully). and yes the cover is removed
Got 22 cx-5 GTR back today.

- To replace the OCV solenoid they had to replace cylinder head cover and I can see some motor oil around the new RTV sealant (dark gray) along with some spilled green coolant on top of transmission.

- For popping noise 1st time tighten cowl bolts but noise was still there so this time they replaced front stabilizer bar bushings. I do see some oil on the bushing area and the stabilizer bar seemed worked on since it’s wiped clean.

- Also rearview mirror was a little loose so they tightened.

So was it necessary to replace whole cylinder head cover or they just get paid more than just replacing the OCV solenoid?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Got 22 cx-5 GTR back today.

- To replace the OCV solenoid they had to replace cylinder head cover and I can see some motor oil around the new RTV sealant (dark gray) along with some spilled green coolant on too of transmission.

- For popping noise 1st time tighten cowl bolts but noise was still there so this time they replaced front stabilizer bar bushings. I do see some oil on the bushing area and the stabilizer bar seemed worked on since it’s wiped clean.

- Also rearview mirror was a little loose so they tightened.

So was it necessary to replace whole cylinder head cover or they just get paid more than just replacing the OCV solenoid?
So did replacing both sway bar bushings stop the popping noise?

I am hoping your bushing replacement fixes it. I drove around for a day with my cowl panel removed to help diagnose my pop/creak noise. Noise still there with cowl plate removed. So its not that So I might spray down my sway bar bushings with silicone spray lube to see if that changes anything. I was also suspicious of possibly the steering ram. If it is the bushings then they will start making noise again sooner or later. Doorman makes aftermarket replacements but doorman parts are typically low quality.

20230515_143015.jpg

Back