What did you pay for your CX-5?

I regularly get offers to buy my CX-5 from the nearest dealership. Of course they aren't going to pay anything that is worth my while to get a new CX-5.

I get the same offers for my CX-9.

My last new car purchase was in 1981. Back then, car dealers were more ethical. The finance manager of this dealership is deceitful. He did not use the $37,000 out-the-door price quoted by the sales manager, which I agreed to pay. The FM slipped in a higher price on the contract without informing me and rushed through the signing process over a tiny iPad. Upon leaving the showroom, the dealership provided the car keys, vehicle documentation, and receipt for the $15,000 down payment. Upon returning home with the car, I noticed the missing sales contract. After calling a few times, the FM emailed the contract two weeks later. It's the first opportunity to see the spreadsheet and all the itemized charges on a single page. It was also when I discovered the discrepancy in the price of the car. It was not the $37,000 price that I agreed to. Writing to their general manager about being overcharged was futile, as his response was, "buyer beware." He's right. It's my fault for trusting the FM to be honest, do the right thing, and not deceive his customers. Forty-two years ago, staff at car dealers were slippery but still maintained a degree of integrity. How have times changed! Even though buying this car has not been a pleasant experience, I am happy to join all of you in this community and appreciate your support. I got the CX-5 as a retirement gift to myself. I'm sharing this story because I recently came across postings by customers claiming to be cheated by this San Bernardino-based Mazda dealership on Yelp. It seems others have also fallen victim to their tricks.

@LACX5 , thanks for sharing your cautionary tale of how one must be on guard when making major purchases because companies/ people will certainly take advantage of you if they can. Sorry to hear you had to learn a hard lesson that way!

For others who come along reading this and don't have experience with vehicle purchasing ...

Always remember, YOU are the CUSTOMER and THEY need to make YOU happy or the deal STOPS.

Paperwork not clear and concise? Then NOPE, they need to make it clear and concise.

Don't like signing little electronic signature pads and want real paper and a real pen? Demand it!

When the "finance manager" comes up with all this add on stuff, just say no. It's mostly worthless to you and BIG profit for them. If it's a problem for the dealership to do these things, that may be a sign that you don't want to do business with them anyway!

Personally, when I negotiate a price with a salesman, I speak in an Out The Door (OTD) all inclusive price. I know what I want to pay for the car, I know what the tax rate is and what a reasonable "document fee" should be as well as what I want for my trade (if I were to trade something in). It all comes down to a bottom line number for the deal. Know that number. That's what is negotiated. If I come to an agreement of say $33,000 OTD for the deal, then that's what the bottom line better be. I could care less how they arrange the numbers on the spreadsheet in what box as long as the bottom line money out of my pocket is the same as the $33,000 I agree to. Stops all that add on stuff.

The dealer wants to negotiate a price for the car then play with everything else separately to their advantage. They do it all day everyday so they're really good at it! Don't do it. Don't play their game.

Always be willing to say no and walk away. Especially with new cars, there's another one just like it at the next dealer down the road.

It has been a strange environment these last couple of years regarding just about everything to do with vehicles. Crazy pricing markups. Crazy inventory games. It's really soured my feelings of the whole automotive industry in general. From OEM manufacturers to dealerships to parts companies and everything in between.

I better quit lol [/rant] 😝

CTt3P5, here were the dealer add-on items: 36 month of AVAS vehicle tracking $1,300; Door edge guard $595; Leather seat protection $895; 2-year extended warranty $2,000. (The AVAS vehicle tracking service stopped functioning after 12 months.)

I hope that they at least kissed you after such a thorough screwing! Wow!!!

Care to share the name of this dealership?

You need to have a conversation with the owner of this company, along with your lawyer.

Last edited:
My last new car purchase was in 1981. Back then, car dealers were more ethical. The finance manager of this dealership is deceitful. He did not use the $37,000 out-the-door price quoted by the sales manager, which I agreed to pay. ...

... Upon returning home with the car, I noticed the missing sales contract. After calling a few times, the FM emailed the contract two weeks later. It's the first opportunity to see the spreadsheet and all the itemized charges on a single page. It was also when I discovered the discrepancy in the price of the car. It was not the $37,000 price that I agreed to. Writing to their general manager about being overcharged was futile, as his response was, "buyer beware." He's right. It's my fault for trusting the FM to be honest, do the right thing, and not deceive his customers. Forty-two years ago, staff at car dealers were slippery but still maintained a degree of integrity. How have times changed! Even though buying this car has not been a pleasant experience, I am happy to join all of you in this community and appreciate your support. I got the CX-5 as a retirement gift to myself. I'm sharing this story because I recently came across postings by customers claiming to be cheated by this San Bernardino-based Mazda dealership on Yelp. It seems others have also fallen victim to their tricks.
Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience with this apparently unethical Finance Manager. It's not easy to tell a story about being taken advantage of for trusting another. The few times it's happened to me through the years, I know I've felt embarrassed and ashamed. Felt somewhat, "the fool" that my trust was turned against me and I certainly didn't want anyone to know "I'd been had". So I salute you Mr LACX5 for the courage to tell others of your missteps so they may be better aware! 🫡

I hope that they at least kissed you after such a thorough screwing! Wow!!!
LACX5 has taken a few jabs about it already and has explained what transpired and concedes "it's his own fault" for being trusting. Continued "keyboard kicks" past that just make a person look mean. Instead, perhaps, consider lifting a man up rather than casting further ridicule eh?

Care to share the name of this dealership?
@LACX5 I agree with Conrad here ... Please share the name of the dealership that you feel took advantage of you so others can at least be aware / alert should they choose to do business with them.

@LACX5
I don't want to be harsh here, I really don't, but there is a giant elephant in the room. I never heard of someone who has absolutely no idea what price they are paying or who doesn't look at and read the costs before signing. It's not even about "trusting", it's pure insanity not to do so. Fine if you have millions and walk in and don't care what it costs, but to just sit there and take it up the butt without question is pure lunacy. The fact is that is precisely what happened and as much as it pains me to hear his story, I have no sympathy for what you let happen. THIS is exactly why dealers do what they do and need to be abolished. I'm sure they all literally laughed their asses off when you walked out and immediately booked their vacations on your dime.

@LACX5
I don't want to be harsh here, I really don't, but there is a giant elephant in the room. I never heard of someone who has absolutely no idea what price they are paying or who doesn't look at and read the costs before signing. It's not even about "trusting", it's pure insanity not to do so. Fine if you have millions and walk in and don't care what it costs, but to just sit there and take it up the butt without question is pure lunacy. The fact is that is precisely what happened and as much as it pains me to hear his story, I have no sympathy for what you let happen. THIS is exactly why dealers do what they do and need to be abolished. I'm sure they all literally laughed their asses off when you walked out and immediately booked their vacations on your dime.

Unnecessary, rude and thoughtless. Jeez...

Ok so back on topic since this is a thread about "what did you pay for your cx-5" and useful related information, I'll just say that dealerships do what they do and get away borderline fraud because buyers keep perpetuating, reinforcing and enabling them to continue unethical and illegal behavior without being called out on it (the dealers). Everyone should have their guard up when dealing with them because of the countless times they have ripped people off one way or another. So, its up to the consumer to protect themselves and be their own advocate as did I when I purchased my 2021 CX-5 Sig back in 12/21 for 1k under MSRP plus TTL ONLY. No markups and that was then at the peak of when dealers were majorly scamming. They even had a bunch of dealer installed items that they didn't even try to get me to pay for because they knew I wasn't going to pay for them and I negotiated everything via email first. Dealership was 2 hours away and had a buyers order already completed before walking in. I was in and out within 30 minutes. No shenanigans. If anyone would like to know the straight up dealer I went to in NC, feel free to message me or I can just post here. Best experience I ever had.

I straight up don't understand the secretiveness about naming dealers. In this thread, both bad and...good? I truly don't understand not naming a dealer publicly that you had a GOOD experience with?!?!
Mike Bass Mazda in Sheffield Lake, Ohio was where I bought my car. They were AMAZING! However, they are anything but today and I no longer recommend them. In NE Ohio, go to Classic Mazda in Brookpark. Much better experience nowadays.

I will give a shout-out to Mazda Mall of Georgia in Buford. Anyone in the Atlanta area should give them a try before buying. Great experience twice (lease 2019 and purchase 2021). On the other hand, I had a terrible experience with Jim Ellis Mazda in Marietta, GA in 2019. They made a deal with me via email and when I went into sign the papers, they claimed they made an error and wouldn't honor the deal. This is how I ended up at Mall of Georgia Mazda.

I straight up don't understand the secretiveness about naming dealers. In this thread, both bad and...good? I truly don't understand not naming a dealer publicly that you had a GOOD experience with?!?!
Mike Bass Mazda in Sheffield Lake, Ohio was where I bought my car. They were AMAZING! However, they are anything but today and I no longer recommend them. In NE Ohio, go to Classic Mazda in Brookpark. Much better experience nowadays.
The treatment one might have gotten pre-pandemic might be quite a bit different now. I could talk about a positive 2020 experience but who knows what that dealer is doing today.

If the new car allocation is limited (which also means fewer trade-ins) the difference will be made up by other means, none of which leads to a particularly satisfying buying experience compared to, say, 10% off MSRP and no add-ons or tricks that might have been fairly common pre-pandemic.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think that some folks believe that if they put-down a specific dealer by name that the poster might be held liable for the negative comments in some way. As if these dealers are sitting here reading all of this stuff. Even if they are, most here don't identify themselves by name. Even if you are using your name, what could a dealer do about your negative comments? It's not like were making this stuff up, are we? ;)

I could understand if Antoine forbid it because he doesn't want to get in any trouble, but really in this day and age? Especially with the protections he is afforded by US laws? He has nothing to worry about. He cannot be held liable for something a user says.
Twitter, Facebook, Insta....people have ZERO issues shaming companies there... a little obscure forum on the net somewhere like this? Zero worries. There's no reason to be sly about it and in fact, that is one of the very strengths of a community like us. To help each other avoid bad experiences.
The treatment one might have gotten pre-pandemic might be quite a bit different now. I could talk about a positive 2020 experience but who knows what that dealer is doing today.
Or it could be exactly the same. Give me all the info you have. Let me decide.

Paid $1,534 under MSRP on a new 2023 Preferred w/$600 in added options. Pre tax title reg. price $30,091

$1,534 was listed as "Dealer Discount" on the sales doc.
IMG_5386[1].JPG

German, do you have the actual monroney sticker or look at it? That paper you have is not the factory sticker and looks nefarious with double charges for color and a delete of options. There are also a whole bunch of fees at the bottom in fine print including a " corporate activity fee"? Wtf is that?

German, do you have the actual monroney sticker or look at it? That paper you have is not the factory sticker and looks nefarious with double charges for color and a delete of options. There are also a whole bunch of fees at the bottom in fine print including a " corporate activity fee"? Wtf is that?
I think those lame fees are associated with the "Lease side". I already wrote the check and the final OTD price with WA State tax and title, plate tag fees was $32,488. The dealer way overestimated our WA State DMV fees which was adjusted on the final invoice. Also, they lowered the price and additional $425 because the car didn't actually come with the Roof Rails. To your question on the Monroney, yes I have it. See attached.

On the double charge for color, my local dealer has the same price of $595 for Rhodium White Metallic on all vehicles so I think that falls inline...

2023 CX5 turbo Rhodium white $38720 OTD seemed high but it was the best I could find within 500 miles and it was local. I guess bottom line only one person needs to be happy with the deal and that is my wife :)
Your OTD seems like a good deal imo. Did you have a trade-in or equity in a leased turn-in?
We're pIcking up same trim & color this week, but turning in leased '20 GTR (under 12k mi).

The equity in our leased '20 GTR, plus another $1500 in "rewards" ($4106) is being applied to sticker price ( $39195 which includes dest fee & $1075 in options - Rhodium color, black lug nuts & wheel locks & retractable cargo cover.

The paper I was given yesterday only shows new monthly payment and $4106 in allowances off sticker price. No other numbers other than window etching ( $190) which I assume is required on leased cars.

So won't know the final OTD cost until credit approval (will be no issue) & taxes & whatever else they add on until signing at pick up.

We initially went in to see what deal they'd offer as were thinking about buying out the lease & keeping the '20 - until we learned our VIN in on a TSB for possible oil leak due to crack head!

It became a no-brainer when equity allowance & rewards kept our lease payment almost the same. We were expecting the lease to soar as our friends have been having that happen to them.

Back