OTA Update Instructions for Mazda Connect (firmware) where applicable

:
ASH8
Below is a .PDF from Mazda on how to use the OTA (Over The Air) Updated Procedure, and the instructions in the .PDF on how to set it up and for it to work and update your Mazda Connect software or firmware.

This procedure applies to basically most Mazda's sold from about late 2022 Model Year in USA /Can and EU/UK markets.
Mazda 3 BP
Mazda CX-30
Mazda CX-5 10.3 inch screen
Mazda CX-9 10.3 inch screen
MX-30
CX-50
CX-60
New CX-70 , 80 , 90

Please note not all Mazda markets are using OTA and as time goes by this will be something that will change on a particular new model (or future model year updates) as feature updates.

Unfortunately if your Mazda did not come from the factory with this feature then you can not retro fit it as this also aligns with MyMazda APP and the cars VIN in production plus the new hardware and wiring but not all models within the MyMazda App.

Basically, if you have the all the features that are listed in this .PDF with the ability to CHECK (tick) the boxes then you should see OTA functioning.
IF check boxes are greyed out or can not be checked then I assume your car does not have appropriate Hardware from factory or you have not successfully Registered your name etc and cars VIN in MyMazda App.

Please do not be fooled as Mazda knows what cars have the required hardware for OTA to work and you can not make it work if the car was never originally fitted with fully working OTA.

However, some markets in North America and Europe UK also need an easy TCU Driver update to make OTA work as some had bugs that needed rectifying like any chip based hardware or modules today, cars are computers on wheels......anyway....

On this 5 page .PDF I will refer to a few features that need prior viewing and checking.

On Page 2 Step 6.

NOTE the system SOFTWARE (firmware) Number for Mazda Connect, like 11014 (example).
Your firmware currently should be at the current available version, see my other posts on first post of Mazda Connect Firmware Updates to determine what is the latest number available for your model Mazda and in your country as they do vary and are NOT interchangeable, you CAN NOT install another countries Firmware/Software in Generation 7's CONNECT, the system just will not permit you to update manually or automatically OTA.

As it says once you have a fully functioning OTA set up the system checks for new versions out of Japan every 7 days.
Again you may first have to update TCU Driver and or Mazda Connect manually via a USB Flash Drive if current in car now is too far outdated or TCU Driver is buggy.

See the screen notifications when a 'New Update Available' etc, in red box.

On Page 3 CMU OTA Software Update Procedure.

Note on Page 3 Step 4, you must make sure that the Connected Services BOX is checked or ticked, this means that car and your phone has been correctly owner registered with the MyMazda App (a must do).

On Page 4 Step 5.

Also make sure that Automatically Check for Updates BOX is also checked or ticked.

Step 6.
It shows the new version 11022 (example) you would then UPDATE (in red box).
You can see that OTA Updates are usually only a small size MB file.

Step 7.
Agree to the Software License Agreement.

The Progress Bar will show you update process as it is installing.

Attachments

• MAZDA CONNECT OTA Update Instructions 2023.pdf
    588.5 KB · Views: 1,399
Interesting. I hava a 2021 so I might be out of luck on this. My system does have the "check for updates option" and it looks like it may actually be checking for updates when I request it; however it has always shown "No Updates Available" even when updates were available in the past. I am running v11048 on the infotainment side and v10024 on the TCU side that were manually updated (many thanks to ASH8) so there may not actually be any updates at this point in time.

11048 is the latest infotainment ver , also your tcu is updated.
Its interesting because 2021 infotainment should be same as 2022 unless there is something else added in 2022.
i assume you have mymazda app as well enabled and setup?

Looking to confirm latest/current TCU and Firmware for CX5 2022 10" for Europe. OTA says it is working but want to make sure Mazda supplied all updated properly as the installed Gracenote was 2 years out of date! Thanks in advance.

Does anybody know how Mazda Connect actually connects to the internet? My 2023 CX-9 Touring always responds that no updates are available but has never asked for Wi-Fi or router information. My Ford had to be logged on to my Wi-Fi to update, just like my phone, TV, Roku, etc.,. How does my Mazda connect?

Does anybody know how Mazda Connect actually connects to the internet? My 2023 CX-9 Touring always responds that no updates are available but has never asked for Wi-Fi or router information. My Ford had to be logged on to my Wi-Fi to update, just like my phone, TV, Roku, etc.,. How does my Mazda connect?
Uses AT&T wireless, if you ever noticed your cell phone signal meter in the Mazda infotainment screen, to the right of it is another signal strength meter but measured with straight flat bars. That meter is AT&T signal strength for the car.

Help me here, I have T-Mobile and I have 3 flat bars on the top right. The My-Mazda app seems to work OK, location, start, off, door unlocked, etc.. However the 3 flat bars, if touched, open up a page of menu options, inbox, profile, mymazda, roadside assistance and so forth. The bars do not seem to be anything else other access to this menu page.

Are you saying my car automatically connects to ATT without any input from me?
Thanks for your help.

Help me here, I have T-Mobile and I have 3 flat bars on the top right. The My-Mazda app seems to work OK, location, start, off, door unlocked, etc.. However the 3 flat bars, if touched, open up a page of menu options, inbox, profile, mymazda, roadside assistance and so forth. The bars do not seem to be anything else other access to this menu page.
The flat bars on the car infotainment, not the Mazda app. It will be next to the cellular bars for your phone when connected via Bluetooth, and not in the CarPlay or Android Auto interface.

Attachments

• IMG_1423.jpeg
    IMG_1423.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 248
The flat bars on the car infotainment, not the Mazda app. It will be next to the cellular bars for your phone when connected via Bluetooth, and not in the CarPlay or Android Auto interface.
I have the horizontal bars that indicate the ATT signal and the MyMazda app will start, lock, ++ remotely.
Thanks for your help and the picture.

OTA not working in your Mazda for Over The Air updates??

Please read the following... and ONLY applies to certain Model Mazda's fitted with factory TCU Hardware from 2020 like CX-30, Mazda 3 in USA.

More than likely your cars OTA system has been auto Deactivated, because....

Your Mazda needs the updated TCU (Tele Communications Update) Driver file and or system has been
Deactivated as there is a free trial period to the CV (Connected Vehicle) service.

Deactivation Mode
Some new owners may choose not to enroll into Connected Vehicle (CV) Services.
If this happens, the Telematics Communication Unit (TCU) will switch to Deactivation Mode.

Any of the following conditions will initiate Deactivation Mode:
• Customer does not enroll into CV services within 5 days from Retail Date (RDR/ New Car Warranty Start Date).
• Customer unsubscribed from CV services.
• Free trial period has expired.
• Customer unsubscribed from CV services prior to February 26, 2023 (Mazda IT batch deactivation).
NOTE:
• Customer or Mazda Dealer can activate CV services anytime via MyMazda app (there just might be a slight delay in making the backend connection since it was temporarily deactivated).
• When TCU is in Deactivation Mode, Infotainment Over-the-Air (OTA) Connectivity Master Unit (CMU) software update is not possible (disabled).
• Prior to Retail Date, the TCU is active.

So you must Register or Re-Register with your activated MyMazda App for this OTA Service to work.
IF the car has been sold to another owner at ANYTIME the old owner should deactivate MYMazda App prior to the new owner registering the service in their name, or contact your local Mazda Dealer or Mazda to assist.

Back