2024 Mazda CX-90 Turbo S vs 2022 BMW X5 40i

:
mazda 6
Hi,

On paper it looks like Mazda benchmarched BMW. Almost same power, almost same weight, same height and same gear ratio. The CX-90 is bigger.

Attachments

• 20230227_071341.jpg
    20230227_071341.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 209
Well that's interesting. Do you think it's safe to say that it will be just as fast from 0-60, if not faster?

Wow, nice work and boy, they do look similar. The CX-90 could be one fast car.

Hi,

On paper it looks like Mazda benchmarched BMW. Almost same power, almost same weight, same height and same gear ratio. The CX-90 is bigger.
..."on paper".
I recall hearing that German manufacturers are renowned for underrating their engines so I am very curious to see real world camparos!

..."on paper".
I recall hearing that German manufacturers are renowned for underrating their engines so I am very curious to see real world camparos!

Yeah, that is a good point. And the BMW X-drive system is really good at putting the power down.

I figured it would be too good to be true lol. Still, if the CX-90 Turbo S clocks in the low 6s I think that's good enough to compare the two.

So does anyone think the reliability of these cars will be identical past the warranty period?

Reliability is up in the air since we don't have any real world ownership data on the CX-90. Cost of ownership should be in Mazda's favour, though.

There is a reason you lease a German car and not buy it.

Yep. I've never leased a car before, but I always hear about BMW in particular having great leasing options. Plus, you'll never have to worry about out-of-warranty repairs if you lease.

This video explains what is commonly known as "1-ft rollout".
That is how auto mag measures 0-60 time.
So, in real world testing when you drive it, add 0.3-0.5sec to it.

Last edited:
Yep. I've never leased a car before, but I always hear about BMW in particular having great leasing options. Plus, you'll never have to worry about out-of-warranty repairs if you lease.

My brother is a BMW guy, and has always been; but his $4-5,000 repair bills are just crazy. His last things that was considered "minor" was a $3,000 repair for the temperature gauge.

I figured it would be too good to be true lol. Still, if the CX-90 Turbo S clocks in the low 6s I think that's good enough to compare the two.
I don't know if it's likely, but if the Turbo S can get to high 5s, it'll be a real bargain for the speed and size combo. Just cause the MDX gets low 6s, and the type S gets mid 5s (Not 100% sure on those numbers but pretty sure). I just hope it feels super luxurious AND like a mazda, because the features per price don't seem to be the highlight of the cx90. If it drives more controlled and athletically than most of the luxury competitors then I think it'll attract of lot of buyers purely for the driving experience. One can hope, but we shall see.

BMW often underrates their turbo engines.

One example is the recent Toyota Supra, which has BMW Z4's 3.0L turbo inline-6.
It is officially rated at 382hp.
Owners have taken them to the dyno and found it severely underrated.
(more than 420hp at the crank)

This video explains what is commonly known as "1-ft rollout".
That is how auto mag measures 0-60 time.
So, in real world testing when you drive it, add 0.3-0.5sec to it.

Car and driver has always achieved the best 0-60 times because their test is actually very close to 0-60 with no rollout. They have added a 5-60 MPH time and publish both. Mid, rear engine, and all- wheel drive vehicles have an advantage with 0-60 times, all other things being equal.

Reliability is up in the air since we don't have any real world ownership data on the CX-90. Cost of ownership should be in Mazda's favour, though.
Yes, but the brand's overall reliability has always been "better-than-average", whereas BMW's has been average or below average.
Their overall ratings by Consumer Reports are excellent because of their performance/ride/handling/braking attributes. Less than good relability does weigh them down.

I don't know if it's likely, but if the Turbo S can get to high 5s, it'll be a real bargain for the speed and size combo. Just cause the MDX gets low 6s, and the type S gets mid 5s (Not 100% sure on those numbers but pretty sure). I just hope it feels super luxurious AND like a mazda, because the features per price don't seem to be the highlight of the cx90. If it drives more controlled and athletically than most of the luxury competitors then I think it'll attract of lot of buyers purely for the driving experience. One can hope, but we shall see.
Car & Driver writer, David Bedard, described the Mazda CX-50 as the "Macan of mainstream SUVs that feels like it was developed on twisty roads." Now that's a great compliment! Mazda knows how to inject great handling into their vehicles.

Car and driver has always achieved the best 0-60 times because their test is actually very close to 0-60 with no rollout. They have added a 5-60 MPH time and publish both. Mid, rear engine, and all- wheel drive vehicles have an advantage with 0-60 times, all other things being equal.
C&D used to make correction for the 1-ft rollout by measuring from 3mph to 60mph.
Since 2019, they changed to actual 1-ft rollout (a convention from drag strip) based on their more accurate equipment.

Back