Last oil change?

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I my 85 years old this week and just finished an oil & filter change on my CX5. First time I ever dropped the drain plug in the oil drain bucket. First time I had to get out from under the vehicles several times to get stuff I forgot to take under which is a real chore. I think I may need to turn this service over to others in the future.:cry:
Anyone else facing the same age related issues? I find this not-a-fun prospect. Ed

First off -- Happy Birthday Eddie !! Getting to 85 and still doing the things you do is a real achievement. Consider yourself blessed.
If it's only the first time you had to get out from under the vehicle to get things you forgot, I wouldn't be too concerned. Dropping the drain plug in the oil only means you dropped the drain plug unless you start dropping lots of stuff. And who hasn't done that if they've changed oil regularly. Forgetting things is easy to do if you are in a hurry or have other things on your mind. I'd be more concerned if it's other things that continually get forgotten on a regular basis. I found it's easy to lose my 'edge' if I'm not regularly wrenching like I used to do on my cars. There hasn't been much to fix on the CX-5 since I bought it new in 2014. I noticed how forgetful I got when doing my brakes in recent months. If it's 4 or 5 years between doing them, the little details get forgotten. But it did give me pause and wonder how much I could trust myself to do competent maintenance/repair work somewhere down the line as I get (still even more) older.
You bring up a good point and a question to ask yourself is -- if it's enjoyable or getting to be a chore and only done out of habit. Is enough satisfaction involved to be worthwhile anymore.
For oil changes, if there aren't physical limitations ( I recall that you exercise regularly and stay in shape) then just plan the job out with what is needed. For me that means taping the new drain plug washer to the new filter box lid and taking the socket rail along with other tools with me under the car. I hate having to get up again because I forgot the drain plug size or have to run back inside to fetch a new washer. Planning is the word.
And while I'm on a roll here and not directly related to your post, I'll say planning a job beforehand and really thinking it through brings to light whether I even want to tackle some jobs after considering what's required and what could go wrong. It's like picking your battles and doing the ones you can win.

Thank you all for your nice compliments and suggestions. I do enjoy doing the oil changes myself. 50 years ago, I did engine, transmission, brake and suspension rebuilding on my vehicles. Now I can purchase new and I try to maintain at a level of effort that I am able. I guess I am just fading away sloowly but, quicker than I want. Ha Ha.

Anyone else facing the same age related issues? I find this not-a-fun prospect. Ed

Yeah. I'm in much the same boat. Old injuries essentially preclude anything involving a bit of twisting and torquing (of my body), particularly something like down underneath a car. I still do spark plugs, filters, wash/polish/wax ... but the "torquing" stuff is what I have a shop do. I'm still able to drive just fine, though some of my friends can't say that. And I'm thankful. Is what it is.

Of course, I'm looking at replacing the flooring and painting the place, which makes me wince every time I think of it. But, it's gotta be done. Mulling.

If you're just now, at 85yrs young, handing over the last few such tasks, I'd say you're doing better than most.

Keep yer "left" up. ;)

I my 85 years old this week....:cry:
Anyone else facing the same age related issues?
First off, congrats on your birthday. I hope I make it that far.
I'm 73 yo now, and gave up crawling under cars a few years ago. The fun just wore off, and it became more difficult, physically. After a cancer scare 12 years ago, and major heart surgery 6 years ago (mitral valve repair), I'm more reluctant to get into that sort of stuff. I also find my flexibility has gone south, so I don't bend nearly as well as I used to. Just getting down in a crouch, and back up again, is a chore. I still swap my tires every six months (summer/winter) in my driveway, but I recently enlisted the help of my teenage neighbour to do the lifting. Tires/rims are getting heavier it seems. By the time I've done the last wheel, my back is killing me. I still like to do the cleaning, washing and waxing stuff though. That's still satisfying.
Anyway, I hope you have many more birthdays ahead of you. Cheers.

I my 85 years old this week and just finished an oil & filter change on my CX5. First time I ever dropped the drain plug in the oil drain bucket. First time I had to get out from under the vehicles several times to get stuff I forgot to take under which is a real chore. I think I may need to turn this service over to others in the future.:cry:
Well not yet I've been pretty lucky but I'm much younger than you I'll be 79 March 1st. I just schedule my oil changes for a sunny day in April and October. I'm not very partial to wet or cold snowy oil changes!

Impressive. If you forget to put the drain plug back in, put the oil filter on, or add the oil - then you know you are done.

I just did mine the other day and forgot to move the catch pan out of the way of the passenger front tire before I backed out of the driveway. Spilled about a quart of dirty oil on the garage floor, and at first thought I'd forgot to close the drain valve.

That was no fun. I've set things up to make oil changes really easy, but am now only driving 7500 miles a year. That's too far in between to stay sharp, I guess :)

Sir, you are AMAZING! Absolutely love it! And no, I'm not kidding in the slightest.

Happy Birthday ER!

If you're getting forgetful, time to make some lists. Nothing wrong with that.

I've dropped the drain plug into the mess a time or two myself over the years and it had nothing to do with age. A magnet on a string is your friend in this case. You could even attach the magnet to the drain plug after you get it loosened with your ratchet. Then spin it with your fingers and if it falls, the magnet will catch it. Just tie the other end of the string to something.

My drain pan has a grate covering the drain so if I drop the plug, it's no problem, just a small wait for the level to recede is all.

I'm a VERY firm believer in if you want it done right then do it yourself. No matter how old you are. If it takes longer than it used to, so what? Got something better to do?

Thank you, Conrad, and those who supported my efforts.
I like the idea of a magnet on a string Conrad 16.5. That tool will become one of my go-to tools.
Ed

giphy.gif

I don't have the same level of experience and wisdom as you yet Ed, however, I have found the list of vehicle maintenance items I do is waning. Lucky to have an honest independent shop very close, but there is a certain satisfaction doing it yourself.

Right up there with you Ed. At 80 now and truly miss my days of timing lights and dwell meters etc. So be it. Thankfully I can afford to have someone look after my CX-5. Last week I actually added water to my 2018 battery and was very proud of myself. Enjoy your new time off.

Firstly, congrats on your birthday. I hope I can make it that far and still do oil change at that age. I use this 15-quart oil drain container so that the drain plug will never drop into the used oil. And it’s very easy to take the drained oil in the container directly to our city’s oil collection location and dump it.

42151590-504B-469E-8FA3-35B49103B538.jpeg

You're my hero erhayes! I'm 69 and I do only simple stuff now on our two vehicles; seasonal tire changes, wipers, engine air filter and cabin filter. Gone are the days of doing my own oil changes, body repair, brakes, muffler & shocks replacement...! Thinking of getting someone else to change the tires as my aching back finds it harder as time goes by. How come when I was young my tires were 12" and 13" and for the past few years they are 17" and 18"??? Not looking forward to 20", 21" or 22" :ROFLMAO:

Right up there with you Ed. At 80 now and truly miss my days of timing lights and dwell meters etc. So be it. Thankfully I can afford to have someone look after my CX-5. Last week I actually added water to my 2018 battery and was very proud of myself. Enjoy your new time off.

I have a drawer in my workshop full of 'stuff' like timing lights and dwell meters, feeler gauges and the like. What's to do with those things? The timing light is a VERY nice Craftsman tool that I got for my birthday MANY moons ago. Used it twice and there she sits. It's so shiny and all, I hate to toss it into the electronics recycling bin but what else can be done?

Back