Costco Interstate Batteries - Standard or AGM?

littlebear

:
2017 Mazda CX5
On a 2017 CX5 Touring, it requires a GROUP 35 battery, right?

For some reason, Costco Interstate doesn't list 2017 CX5 as an option. I don't have any of that i-eloop or other re-gen tech that were optional.

Costco has the Interstate GROUP 35 standard battery for $110 (CCA-640 CA-800)

https://costco.interstatebatteries....04&choice3=2043025&choice4=2043028&Country=US

They also offer the AGM version for $180 (CCA-650 CA-800)

Are the AGM's worth the extra cost?

I used to pay extra for the AGM's, but now I don't. I saw zero real world difference in either performance or lifespan over the long term.

I've been buying Walmarts Everstart Maxx batteries because they're cheap and have a decent warranty.

only difference in these particular batteries is one is spillable the other is not. Not much else. In terms of performance they are very very similar
Positive of AGM- gel not spillable.
Negative of AGM- most are heavier added weight but no extra lifespan or oomph! With exception of the Braille AGM which is lighter but also not as powerful as the LA 35's. After alot of comparison of over 35 different batteries and alot of back and forth, my next battery will be a normal lead acid, either OEM Panasonic or an Exide or an Everstart.

For some reason, Costco Interstate doesn't list 2017 CX5 as an option. I don't have any of that i-eloop or other re-gen tech that were optional.

https://costco.interstatebatteries....04&choice3=2043025&choice4=2043028&Country=US

I wouldn’t pay extra for an AGM battery either. Besides, you most likely won’t find the Interstate Group 35 AGM battery in stock at your local Costco anyway.

The price for the Interstate Group 35 lead-acid battery at Costco has gone up 40% since the pandemic, amazing!

8D971AFA-B992-4E55-92AE-989EFF73CE5A.jpeg

4C4BBD73-5B73-4EFD-B2A7-ED77165254AB.jpeg

Last edited:
well, if it's any consolation, those prices are a lot better than what the chain auto parts stores are charging (y)🥲
Remember buying the Interstate battery at Costco you have to install it by yourself where some people may not feel comfortable with, and make a second trip taking the old battery in to get $15 core charge back; whereas other auto stores including WalMart they’ll do installation for free, one trip and done.

⋯ my next battery will be a normal lead acid, either OEM Panasonic or an Exide or an Everstart.
You can’t get Panasonic auto batteries (now owned by Yuasa) in the US. The OEM Mazda “High-Performance” battery selling at Mazda dealers is the Interstate battery with 550 CCA instead of 640 CCA from Costco.

8DF4D305-72BA-4E9A-B3D7-88F159F9677D.jpeg

3057DD35-A416-49F3-A7E3-A27F310E05D0.jpeg

97194056-EE78-46ED-A096-F6E50673A82A.jpeg

So it looks like I will go with the standard Costco Interstate battery for $110.

Someone mentioned going with the Duracell from Batteries Plus or Sam's Club. They are $180 for the standard battery. Same 3 year warranty. Are Duracell car batteries any good? (CCA=640 CA=785)

yes as they are made by a reputable manufacturer just using the duracell name/logo, but if its then same warranty time like the Interstate why bother with Duracell?

I would suggest you stay with standard flooded battery. The CX-5 is not designed to optimally charge AGM. Plus, AGM batteries are more costly. Speaking of cost, the CX-5 can take either a group 35 or 26r battery. The Walmart Everstart 26r provides 540 CCA which is comparable to the OEM Panasonic's 550 CCA for $60.

Neighbor claims Interstate batteries end up leaking battery acid everywhere with time.

I'm sure there are cases of this happening but it's not common.

I would suggest you stay with standard flooded battery. The CX-5 is not designed to optimally charge AGM. Plus, AGM batteries are more costly. Speaking of cost, the CX-5 can take either a group 35 or 26r battery. The Walmart Everstart 26r provides 540 CCA which is comparable to the OEM Panasonic's 550 CCA for $60.
this is not accurate that the CX5 cannot charge AGM optimally.

I've been buying Walmarts Everstart Maxx batteries because they're cheap and have a decent warranty.
Hard to go wrong with the Everstart Maxx 35-N (North) for cold weather climes. Consumer Reports rates only one Group 35 battery higher--an Odyssey AGM at three times the price. The 35-S (South) version and other Group versions are not so highly rated, middling or lower. Johnson Controls manufacturers the Walmart Everstart house brand.

Yup, and you'll also have to reset your window auto down feature. It is what it is.

Will I lose all my radio and Infotainment settings once I disconnect and replace the battery?
I don’t believe you’ll lose ALL radio and infotainment settings. In my case I lost almost nothing on radio settings. All favorites are still there. I don’t use anything fancy other than the simple AM / FM radio. I did lose 2 trip odometers. And I did the simple reset on front driver auto up / down power window according to owner’s manual.

Back