Anyone have this happening to their display? 2019 CX-9 Signature (UPDATED)

My 2019 Sig is normally garage kept, but I just spent the last 3 weeks visiting my mom who lives on Cape Cod, Mass (while she's recovering from spinal surgery). A few days before I left, I hopped in my ride and noticed that one of the inner layers of the LCD is cracking from the upper-right corner. There's no cracks or abrasions on the outer layer...it's as smooth as can be. I've never knocked or bumped the display, haven't hit any potholes or driven on any road surfaces that caused severe vibrations, and I've only ever cleaned the display with a damp lint free towel--per the owner's manual.

I'm confident that this just happened (since it's very visible and I'm a little OCD), but the question is how--and has anyone else run across this before?

I bought my CX-9 in Oct 2020 w/ 19K as a CPO and have only logged 10K miles on it since then, but fear my warranty may be out at this point...and who knows if that would've covered the display anyway. This is gonna' sting, me thinks....

UPDATE:
Although I did search here for "display cracking" before I posted this, I didn't get any hits. However, Google found numerous examples of owners experiencing this....including several on this community. Sounds like it's a pretty common issue. Let's hope my dealer plays ball...

Attachments

• PXL_20220419_220758998.jpg
    PXL_20220419_220758998.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
3 year/36000 mile bumper to bumper factory warranty from in service date, regardless of owner. 5 year 60,000 miles on powertrain. Certified pre owned is even longer.

Bring it in for replacement.

Lots of talk about this. Searching on this forum (cx-9 display cracking) gets you some results. Here is one...

My 2019 Sig is normally garage kept, but I just spent the last 3 weeks visiting my mom who lives on Cape Cod, Mass (while she's recovering from spinal surgery). A few days before I left, I hopped in my ride and noticed that one of the inner layers of the LCD is cracking from the upper-right corner. There's no cracks or abrasions on the outer layer...it's as smooth as can be. I've never knocked or bumped the display, haven't hit any potholes or driven on any road surfaces that caused severe vibrations, and I've only ever cleaned the display with a damp lint free towel--per the owner's manual.

I'm confident that this just happened (since it's very visible and I'm a little OCD), but the question is how--and has anyone else run across this before?

I bought my CX-9 in Oct 2020 w/ 19K as a CPO and have only logged 10K miles on it since then, but fear my warranty may be out at this point...and who knows if that would've covered the display anyway. This is gonna' sting, me thinks....

UPDATE:
Although I did search here for "display cracking" before I posted this, I didn't get any hits. However, Google found numerous examples of owners experiencing this....including several on this community. Sounds like it's a pretty common issue. Let's hope my dealer plays ball...
The CPO warranty adds 12 months/12k miles to whatever is left of the Basic warranty. You should still be covered (for now).

We just experienced the extreme cold this past week. Today our touch screen is what they call spider cracking on two corners. We will be checking our certified warranty , mileage and making some calls tomorrow.
We were so happy with this car up until now! It looks like Mazda previously had a recall on this screen on the older models but are ignoring the newer models.

Not sure where you are from, but extreme cold can do that. I have had it happen many times in other vehicles I just out of habit cover them with a fleece cloth when I park.

Not sure where you are from, but extreme cold can do that. I have had it happen many times in other vehicles I just out of habit cover them with a fleece cloth when I park.
I wish we had known to cover. We are in Florissant, Missouri . We just had that extreme cold snap!

back in 2018 Mazda had issued a service Alert to Dealers in regards to this issue. Then in May 2020 they issued a letter to dealers saying they are doing a Special Service Program (SSP) to extend warranty coverage to help fix this issue, but the warranty extension was for 2016 - 2017 models. (see attached). Unfortunately 2018 & 2019 were not included.

Some people who 18/19 models have been lucky enough to have the dealer they have been going to still replace even though they are out of warranty (I was not one of those lucky ones). there have been a few people that went through Mazda North America & have had luck (I'm trying that now).

Attachments

• 9Doc.pdf
    620.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 10Doc.pdf
    159.9 KB · Views: 115
I just had the screen on my 2018 replaced. Initially dealer said no way it's covered, so I contacted Mazda Canada to plead my case. Then the service manager of the dealership called me, and asked me to provide some photos of the issue. After that, he informed me that they are just waiting on parts and that my screen would be replaced. I had to wait a couple of months, but I was able to get it done as no cost to me.

Ill tag it later when I find it I think there
I just had the screen on my 2018 replaced. Initially dealer said no way it's covered, so I contacted Mazda Canada to plead my case. Then the service manager of the dealership called me, and asked me to provide some photos of the issue. After that, he informed me that they are just waiting on parts and that my screen would be replaced. I had to wait a couple of months, but I was able to get it done as no cost to me.
Was an answer to this in the cx5 forum

Someone posted the phone number and a contact email

For anyone that is out of warranty or not lucky enough to get assistance from Mazda or the dealership, I would suggest replacing the screen yourself.

Try to locate a used screen from eBay, LKQ, or another online source and you’ll save a ton of money over new. If you look behind the screen on the dash, you‘ll see a small cover. Pry that up and there are two bolts that hold the screen in. Carefully lift the display and disconnect the wires - 2 or 3 connectors, depending on the model. Assemble in reverse. Pretty straightforward.

This is among the trillion challenges an automaker faces. The inside of a car can reach around 160°F sitting in the sun in Phoenix. Then it could be -50°F in the coldest areas. And somehow a car has to withstand that range.

Had this happen on our 2016 CX-5 ...

Ordered a used screen/dvd for $250, and swapped out and it's good now.
I actually replaced the entire display/touch/circuit board but all software remained.

I have the old one I now disassembled and there was loca glue between the front panel
and digitizer, but I cannot find a digitizer under $150, so I've ordered loca glue and will
attempt to glue it together. It's now without glue but there might be moisture getting
in between the digitizer and panel. Taking the glue off was a real pain.

For some reason I need the 36 pin version with the DVD slot:

This is among the trillion challenges an automaker faces. The inside of a car can reach around 160°F sitting in the sun in Phoenix. Then it could be -50°F in the coldest areas. And somehow a car has to withstand that range.
You are 100% correct. One would think this would be a much more common problem across manufacturers, and yet it doesn't all that prevalent...at least based on my various car enthusiast followings. My 2019 CX-9 has only ever lived in PA and NJ, so it's never seen anywhere near the temps you've quoted, and the issue still happened when the car was only 2 years old. And yet many others who live in warmer climates still haven't experienced this. Sounds more like a "bad production run" to me, rather than a faulty design, but then again...I'm no engineer. -Tim

I agree about the fact that it's a manufacturing error, possibly expired loca glue, etc.

How else do we explain replacement units having the exact same issue but when people order third party screens that have different loca glue applied the issue actually gets fixed ...

Back