Poll Do you use Sport mode and Manual mode?

Which of these do you use regularly?

• Total voters

cx5boo333

2021 Cx5 GT AWD
I thought this poll would be interesting to see if other folks use certain features. The option for manual and sport mode doesn’t necessarily mean at the same time btw.

Manual Mode for me at all times. I've tried sport mode few times but I did not notice any real difference. I think it's more noticeable if you drive in automatic mode.

I just let the well designed transmission do what it needs to do. Dry, rain, snow, it seems to make excellent choices. I must say though, that I really never think about using either one. Lazy driver, I guess.

For me, the best mode is depends on conditions:

Auto is best for highway use and cruise control and saving mpg.
I use this most of the time approx. 60%.

Sport is best for hilly terrain, gear downs, extra passing power when needed(ramp merge) and keeping speed under control in speed controlled areas(f.i. prevents car from going over speed limit on downhill descents in low speed limit areas where LE sits at bottom of hill catching coasters). I use this some of the time 30 %

Manual is best for downhill in adverse icy, snowy conditions, xtra power in uphill mountain situations and some off-road situations. I use this approx. 10%.

Sport mod only when it is safe to see-what-it-will-do. WOT to redline in each gear. Mazda is very good at gear changes dropping to max torque at shift points. :cool:

I used to use Manual mode for the good ol' italian tune up. Used to use Sport mode every now and then, keeping the car at higher revs makes it much more responsive while cruising. I don't use either now, the throttle controller I installed makes both of those possible to do without flipping switches or moving the shift knob.

Manual and sports mode just work your car harder to go a little faster. The sport mode just keep your engine revving a thousand rpm's higher all of the time. When I need to go faster I just floor it when needed.

I don't know why but I expected Sport Mode to get the most votes even though I don't use it myself. Maybe just cause reviewers love them. Also as someone who can only have one car and has never driven anything as awesome as a Miata the cx-5 is really fun, and the smoothness of the manual shifting and only 6 gears is top notch imho.

To me, after driving Mazda since 2015, almost exclusively in manual mode, the "sport" feature seems to be designed for drivers used to the automatic gearbox, to give them a "taste" of the manual awesomeness. Too bad there are no Mazda CX-5 with manual (real manual) gearbox here in the US. I would've chosen that one over the automatic in a blink of an eye. I am biased, I know, grew up in Europe, manual shift etc.

Yes. On the non turbo sport mode is a must otherwise it shifts too early. Its power is in the higher rpms.
On the turbo it doesnt matter. It shift perfectly because of the right balance of rpm vs torque in that engine, even at low rpms.
And manual well thats for when going downhill mostly for me.

I use sport mode mostly when I need a little extra grunt when I want to pick up speed quicker. It holds the gears a little longer, thus keeping the revs up in a better power band.
I also have paddle shifters, and once the novelty wore off, I stopped using them. It takes a lot of concentration and constantly watching the rev counter in order to get it right. This unfortunately leads to distracted driving. It takes my attention away from the road. Also, many times I've forgotten to shift (up or down) and I end up either lugging the engine, or revving the crap out of it because I didn't up-shift. It's just too much work.

I use sport mode mostly when I need a little extra grunt when I want to pick up speed quicker. It holds the gears a little longer, thus keeping the revs up in a better power band.
I also have paddle shifters, and once the novelty wore off, I stopped using them. It takes a lot of concentration and constantly watching the rev counter in order to get it right. This unfortunately leads to distracted driving. It takes my attention away from the road. Also, many times I've forgotten to shift (up or down) and I end up either lugging the engine, or revving the crap out of it because I didn't up-shift. It's just too much work.
Yes, agree with you. This is exactly the reason I use manual sparingly for only extreme conditions.

Back when you had stick shift and clutch, you never forget to shift.

But this manual setup is too easy to get comfortable and forget to shift until it lugs or races.

Sport mode is better for most situations where extra power, engine breaking or traction is needed.

Back