Beast in the Snow

I just came back from a weekend snowmobile trip in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and I have to say that my new little roller skate 23 CX5 Turbo is a beast in the snow. As can happen there at any time without much notice, we got caught in a mini blizzard while climbing through Crawford notch. I was amazed at how it did not even feel like I was driving in snow. It did not break loose once and was confident on every hill and corner. And to think this was on the stock Toyos. If I had something like Blizzaks on there, it would only get better. I’ve owned several 4x4 trucks and this little engine that could beats them all with driving in the snow. I am very pleased to say the least!

And to think this was on the stock Toyos. If I had something like Blizzaks on there, ...

As you know, proper snow+ice tires make all the difference in nasty weather.

Over the past ~20 years, I've done Nokian Hakkapeliitta (for winter use) and WR G4 (for all year 'round use) tires.

On the Hakkas, I've been in 2ft of snow in blizzards on muddy and frozen forest roads, and they handled handled things amazingly well. On the WR G4s on the CX-5, they've tolerated a foot of snow, nasty ice+sleet, and everything else, in temps from -10F to +105F. AWD plus a great winter tire is one of the great pleasures.

As you know, proper snow+ice tires make all the difference in nasty weather…

… AWD plus a great winter tire is one of the great pleasures.
Ah, a fellow tire connoisseur! I manage the rubber for the 6-car family fleet.

Newest experiment is putting Michelin CrossClimate2 tires on my Daughter’s Ioniq 5 AWD.

If 2ft of snow is not dry powder then problem CX5 and similar vehicles will encounter is high centering. It's happened to me more than once trying to get through a deep drift, had to back up and get out the shovel to clear the way.

Ah, a fellow tire connoisseur! I manage the rubber for the 6-car family fleet.

Newest experiment is putting Michelin CrossClimate2 tires on my Daughter’s Ioniq 5 AWD.

Wouldn't say "connoisseur," but, yeah, I do appreciate what the Nokian Hakkas offer. I'm sure there are a couple other decent choices on the market, nowadays, to compete with them. Haven't tried the CrossClimate2's, yet, as I'd prefer much more siping and outright winter capability, though for much of the driving during winter months it's mostly cold, clear driving ... so, they might work.

Have considered a few possibilities, though the Nokian WR G4's are pretty sweet for the conditions I need to cope with.

Yokohama iceGuard iG51V
Kumho WinterCraft WS71 110H XL
Kumho i'Zen RV KC15 110H XL
Nexen WinGuard Sport 2 SUV 106H
Hankook i'Cept EVO 2 SUV W320A 106H
Toyo Observe GSI-5 106T
Vredestein QuaTrac 5 106V 400AA
Vredestein WinTrac Xtreme S 106H
Pirelli Scorpion Winter 106H
Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 600AB 105H
Continental VikingContact7 105T XL
Falken WinterPeak F-Ice 1
Falken EuroWinter HS01

Since the Nokian WR G4 came out, I find it's a pretty great blend of year-'round compound with winter-capable tread+siping. Could be a bit better with hydroplaning avoidance, but that's easily improved via a slightly different tread layout (which I suspect they'll "nail" at some point, something more like the Hakka directional approach). Anyway. Lots of choices. Tires just keep getting better and better.

I just came back from a weekend snowmobile trip in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and I have to say that my new little roller skate 23 CX5 Turbo is a beast in the snow. As can happen there at any time without much notice, we got caught in a mini blizzard while climbing through Crawford notch. I was amazed at how it did not even feel like I was driving in snow. It did not break loose once and was confident on every hill and corner. And to think this was on the stock Toyos. If I had something like Blizzaks on there, it would only get better. I’ve owned several 4x4 trucks and this little engine that could beats them all with driving in the snow. I am very pleased to say the least!
The lease on our 2020 GT Reserve is up soon, so looking at the 2023 Turbo Signature. (but questioning whether we "need" the Signature extras (360º view, front/back parking sensors, Nappa leather, wood trim, ambient lighting, Nav (nope), rear auto breaking. Would like the 360º camera view but not for thousands extra)

ISSUE: Did this happen to you? When driving in slush or snow we get alerted that the front sensor is blocked. Not big deal if driving around town, but on I-95 in CT no way one is pulling over to wipe it off. One loses all safety features until it's wiped off. The 1st time it happened, we had no idea what we needed to do! Then I saw slush on the front badge, wiped it off & thankfully the alerting stopped....for about 3 mins until it got blocked again! To me, this is a fail by Mazda but I've never heard anyone else complain about it

I think some sort of internal heating wire or small wiper (lol) would stop it. One should never be forced out of their car when driving in a snowstorm on a dangerous interstate hwy imho, yet Mazda puts us in this position. Other than this, I love my CX-5 which is why we're likely going to go into our 3rd.

2E444A9F-C496-461A-B909-8E2F7B20FC5E.jpeg

I too am pleased with how good the CX-5 is in the snow. Traded our ‘22 4Runner in for this guy for a cheaper payment (wedding and houses) and it’s a win all around. There are a few things we miss about the 4Runner but I’m happy to be back in a Mazda, third one I’ve had in my life time now. Zoom-Zoom 😎

yeah, i don't enjoy the blocked sensor warning coming up either. i find the mazda system better overall than the eyesight in my '16 forester xt. the forester wouldn't let you use even regular cruise control if the cameras were blocked, and the noises were like from the 80s.

yeah, i don't enjoy the blocked sensor warning coming up either. i find the mazda system better overall than the eyesight in my '16 forester xt. the forester wouldn't let you use even regular cruise control if the cameras were blocked, and the noises were like from the 80s.
Same. It's annoying when the beeps and alarms start going off when the sensors get iced up which happens all the time on the highway in snow/ice.

If you press and hold the cruise button it will flip over to dumb cruise and not utilize the radar system. Something to try next time.

Back