2013 Mazda3 Steering rack leak and other issues?

steve333

2013 Mazda 3 iSport Automatic SkyActive
Hey all,
I brought my 2013 Mazda 3 iSport Automatic Sedan in for an oil change and to replace the rusty lugnuts and they detected a leak possibly coming from the steering rack. They said the power steering fluid level was fine and told me to have them diganosis it next oil change. If the rack is leaking does the rack have to be replaced or are their just parts that may need to be replaced? How much would it cost about if the rack is the culprit?
They also said there is a slight oil leak from somewhere that they will diagnose next oil change.
Just what I don't need right now being unemployed.
They also said that one of the drivers side wheel studs is damaged, would this be expensive to replace?
Thanks for any advice

Wheel stud, you just whack it out and hammer in a new one. I did 2 on my 2008 Mazda 3. I got them from Autozone, had to sand the splines down slightly, whacked out the old one and pounded in the new one. 20 minute fix.

Leaking racks can last forever...you just need to add more fluid. Usually cheaper to replace the whole rack. Just keep checking the reservoir level.

Again...engines can leak oil for years, if it's not a lot. Just check the fluid level OFTEN. And keep a quart on you.

Wheel stud, you just whack it out and hammer in a new one. I did 2 on my 2008 Mazda 3. I got them from Autozone, had to sand the splines down slightly, whacked out the old one and pounded in the new one. 20 minute fix.

Leaking racks can last forever...you just need to add more fluid. Usually cheaper to replace the whole rack. Just keep checking the reservoir level.

Again...engines can leak oil for years, if it's not a lot. Just check the fluid level OFTEN. And keep a quart on you.
I still don't see anything on the ground after I park overnight so they must be small leaks

Second the above options.

Yes, it's a 10 year old vehicle.

See if they have Valvoline high mileage oil in the Mazda 3 weight/viscosity and use that next oil change.

My ford (5W-20 oil) eventually had oil seepage at 12 years. Used Valvoline high mileage oil 5W-30 in it to seal up the leaks. It reconditioned seals and worked great for me.

Edit : looks like Valvoline now makes a full synthetic high mileage 0W-20 oil so you should be good to go. If your owners manual allows thicker oil, use the thicker one to help seal things up.

Also like negusm mentioned, just pop the studs out yourself.

Maybe fill your steering up with fluid, keep an eye on it and get a new rack as soon as you have spare cash.

Last edited:
Second the above options.

Yes, it's a 10 year old vehicle.

See if they have Valvoline high mileage oil in the Mazda 3 weight/viscosity and use that next oil change.

My ford (5W-20 oil) eventually had oil seepage at 12 years. Used Valvoline high mileage oil 5W-30 in it to seal up the leaks. It reconditioned seals and worked great for me.

Edit : looks like Valvoline now makes a full synthetic high mileage 0W-20 oil so you should be good to go. If your owners manual allows thicker oil, use the thicker one to help seal things up.

Also like negusm mentioned, just pop the studs out yourself.

Maybe fill your steering up with fluid, keep an eye on it and get a new rack as soon as you have spare cash.
I can't do the stud myself, I'll let the shop do it next oil change, unless you think it should eb done right away. if they had told me while they were doing the 40 pt inspection I'd have told them to go ahead and do it.
So far they said the steering fluid is fine but they will check it next oil change, I will also have them check for where the leak is coming from.
The oil they use is Total, which someone said is similar to castrol which is the brand the manual recommended
I'll ask them to use the Valvoline high mileage oil 0W-20, I don't feel comfortable using a thicker oil.

I was told today that I have a steering rack leak and the only fix is to replace the rack.
How much should this cost and my steering doesn't feel any different, wouldn't it feel worse in some way?
They said between a 1 being the least issue and a 3 being the worst it's a 2
Should I just have them add steering fluid and wait? No fluid seen on the ground
I had them replace the wheel stud today and they want me to come back in 200 miles to check the dye they put in for the possible oil leak.
I was just told replacing the steering rack plus alignment is $1600! Ugh

I got the stud takee care of
I decided to check the steering fluid level after I drove yesterday and it was higher than it was when I started driving.
Then I checked it today and it was a little lower than it was in the first place.
The steering also seems kind of loose like the steering wheel can keep turning even though the wheels are already going left or right.
The service place had said on my last oil change that there was also a leak in the power steering hose from the reservoir to the pump, could that be causing this issue and not the leak from the steering rack?
I was quoted $1600 for replacing the rack and a wheel alignment, not sure how much replacing the power steering hose would cost but I'm hoping it's this issue since I assume it would cost just a couple hundred dollars or so?
Any thoughts? I know I have to bring it in, just don't want to freak out until then, money is tight.

Steering fluid is just ATF, Automatic Transmission Fluid. That fluid expands greatly when cold versus being warmed up or hot. As long as the level is in the normal range, you're fine. Even if it's a bit lower than normal, you're fine. Power Steering is very forgiving on the fluid level.

Steering fluid is just ATF, Automatic Transmission Fluid. That fluid expands greatly when cold versus being warmed up or hot. As long as the level is in the normal range, you're fine. Even if it's a bit lower than normal, you're fine. Power Steering is very forgiving on the fluid level.
Thanks, it hasn't dropped any further since then and is still above thr max level (they put in a little extra so I could tell if it dropped). I'm still going in tomorrow to get the hose replaced, I can live with $130 and it is one less thing to worry about
I'm wondering if and when I have to get the steering rack replaced should I also get the front struts replaced? Car only has 47,000 miles on it but it is 10 years old and the ride is terrible.
I'm thinking maybe they would charge less labor since they would have to remove the steering rack anyway to replace it.

You don't have to remove or touch the rack to replace the struts. I've done a Mazda 3 and 5 and didn't have to deal with the rack when replacing struts. I don't think you will save much on labor. If the struts aren't leaking you're probably fine, otherwise replace them AND replace the top bearing that sits above each strut.

You don't have to remove or touch the rack to replace the struts. I've done a Mazda 3 and 5 and didn't have to deal with the rack when replacing struts. I don't think you will save much on labor. If the struts aren't leaking you're probably fine, otherwise replace them AND replace the top bearing that sits above each strut.
I'll just live with it, money is tight anyway. I'll wait until they tell me the struts need to be replaced

Back