Anyone replace their 2022/2023 CX-9 Speakers (non-Bose)?

Digbicks1234

16.5 CX-5 Touring/2023 CX-9 Touring
Has anyone replaced their CX-9 speakers. If so, I just had a few questions:
  1. Can anyone comment on the process and if this was a simple plug and play?
  2. Which speaker brand/model did you go for?
  3. How much of an upgrade was it over the stock speakers?
  4. Did you need any adapters for the front/rear doors?
  5. Was there any issues with taking the door apart aside from the handle/locking mechanism?

Never done that car, but I've upgraded the speakers in every car I've ever owned, including all 5 of my Mazdas. The process is always straightforward.

I highly recommend Crutchfield as your shop, because the instructions that come with the new speakers take you clip by clip, screw by screw, fastener by fastener, with explicit pictures showing exactly how the job goes. Crutchfield will also ensure that you have the correct speaker adapter plates so no new screen holes, and correct harnesses so you aren't cutting your factory wiring.

Never done that car, but I've upgraded the speakers in every car I've ever owned, including all 5 of my Mazdas. The process is always straightforward.

I highly recommend Crutchfield as your shop, because the instructions that come with the new speakers take you clip by clip, screw by screw, fastener by fastener, with explicit pictures showing exactly how the job goes. Crutchfield will also ensure that you have the correct speaker adapter plates so no new screen holes, and correct harnesses so you aren't cutting your factory wiring.
Thanks for the recommendation! I've used Crutchfield before for the CX-5 and debated to get an amp but ultimately decided not to as it was a lot of work running the cables through everything but I may consider that in the future.

I came from the CX-50 Turbo Premium with the Bose speakers and it is a night and day difference in the CX-9 with the stock speakers. Everything sounds somewhat flat and the bass is muddy so I was wondering if there was a decent drop in replacement that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

If you have the scratch, some Kenwood Excelon, Morel, Infinity, or Focal separates in the front, with matching coaxes in the rear should get you where you want to be. That would be a massive upgrade. Mazda base model speakers are pretty bad.

If you decide on the separates, you can get adapter plates to mount the tweeters in the factory spots, even if they weren't there from the factory.

If you have the scratch, some Kenwood Excelon, Morel, Infinity, or Focal separates in the front, with matching coaxes in the rear should get you where you want to be. That would be a massive upgrade. Mazda base model speakers are pretty bad.

If you decide on the separates, you can get adapter plates to mount the tweeters in the factory spots, even if they weren't there from the factory.
Good recommendations, I will definitely keep that mind when I plan this out in the future. You are 100% on point, the speakers are abysmal to the point I feel the need to constantly change tracks lol. I'll probably do tweeters once the car warranty expires.

Good recommendations, I will definitely keep that mind when I plan this out in the future. You are 100% on point, the speakers are abysmal to the point I feel the need to constantly change tracks lol. I'll probably do tweeters once the car warranty expires.
The tweeter wiring is almost certainly already there, even if the physical tweets aren't

The tweeter wiring is almost certainly already there, even if the physical tweets aren't
Oh, interesting. What would you say would be the price point to purchase all of the equipment, cables, speakers to improve the overall sound quality of the vehicle (Around $1,000-$2,000)? I am not sure if I would get a sub unless I can hide it somewhere like under the seat or on the spare tire like what the Bose system currently offers.

I recall that a 2/4 gauge cable needs to crimped with a hydraulic crimper and then wired with a fuse + pulled from the battery into the driver/passenger side into the amp with the rest being speaker wire.

Last edited:
Oh, interesting. What would you say would be the price point to purchase all of the equipment, cables, speakers to improve the overall sound quality of the vehicle (Around $1,000-$2,000)? I am not sure if I would get a sub unless I can hide it somewhere like under the seat or on the spare tire like what the Bose system currently offers.

I recall that a 2/4 gauge cable needs to crimped with a hydraulic crimper and then wired with a fuse + pulled from the battery into the driver/passenger side into the amp with the rest being speaker wire.
4 gauge is fine for almost all stereo amps. I get mine from www.wireandsupply.com
True gauge American made OFC welding wire, which is better than pretty much any "car stereo" branded wire at less than 1/3rd the price.

You can certainly use a hydraulic crimper for the ends, but that's not the only way to do the job. If you choose an amp that has Allen style terminals, you don't need crimps at all, just ferrules. Slip the ferrules over the ends of the wire, and clamp down the Allen screw! Done and done!

Attachments

• 1674647948206.png
    1674647948206.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 90
4 gauge is fine for almost all stereo amps. I get mine from www.wireandsupply.com
True gauge American made OFC welding wire, which is better than pretty much any "car stereo" branded wire at less than 1/3rd the price.

You can certainly use a hydraulic crimper for the ends, but that's not the only way to do the job. If you choose an amp that has Allen style terminals, you don't need crimps at all, just ferrules. Slip the ferrules over the ends of the wire, and clamp down the Allen screw! Done and done!
You've been an amazing resource! I will keep those in mind when I am shopping around and speccing out the build. At this point, I want to hold off to see if there are any issues with the vehicle first just so I don't spend all that effort wiring the car to only have to warranty it 😅

The speakers in the Touring Plus are horrible. I want to do a full swap. Thinking JL speakers all around. Does anyone know the size of the center front dash speaker?

The speakers in the Touring Plus are horrible. I want to do a full swap. Thinking JL speakers all around. Does anyone know the size of the center front dash speaker?
I’m following this because i got my ‘23 Touring Plus back in December and the basic speaker system is the worst thing about the car. Doesn’t even make driving enjoyable to be quite honest. I was told it had the Bose system (the one thing I asked for), and didn’t think about checking it. Waited about 2 months for it show up, signed off on the paperwork and pulled out the lot only to realize it didn’t and it was overlooked by the dealership salesman. Called them immediately and my rep goes “huh!? Let me look into this” and it turned out the bose system was only offered on the Touring Plus ‘22 and under. They tried to make the situation right by offering to upgrade my speakers in the car and they did about a month later and sounded the same…maybe even a little worse.

In my defense of this whole thing, this was my third Mazda with the same dealership and never had a problem so I didn’t think I had to check the car before hand. And also had the Bose system in previous two CX-5’s. Personally I think it sounds great.

All that to say I’m also looking to upgrade the audio and do it right like the Bose did, with the hidden woofer, etc.

Back