Woe Is Me

Yes, a couple of members here had had this problem. Kedis82ZE8 had the rear crankshaft bearing seal leaking and got replaced under 5-year / 60K-mile powertrain warranty.

Timing chain cover leaking
As long as it's getting replaced under warranty, i guess it's ok, even if OP's being scammed.
But they're trying to charge him.

But ya still don't anyone open something up if there's nothing wrong with it, at least that me.

As long as it's getting replaced under warranty, i guess it's ok, even if OP's being scammed.
But they're trying to charge him.
Yeah, that's a powertrain warranty item. This is further evidence that this dealer is not on the up and up.
Has anyone in the states ever heard of this?
That's really not the right question. Any vehicle with 150.000 per year production or more will have one instance of every problem under the sun at 28,000 miles. The question is how likely is a problem to occur. It's fair to say that problem at that mileage in not likely at all, rare in fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a still from a video they just sent me. They said the seepage is from a point about in the middle of the image.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 1.14.03 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 1.14.03 PM.png
    182.9 KB · Views: 62
Here is a still from a video they just sent me. They said the seepage is from a point about in the middle of the image.
Do I think they would go as far as to drop some oil on it and fake a video...probably not but ya never know.
Do I think it might be leaking from elsewhere? Yes, possibly.

If it is leaking, that's the first I've heard or seen one new leak like that but I guess anything could be defective. Is there a reason they want you to pay cash $$$ instead of submitting this a warranty work?

You really need a second opinion.

If it is leaking, that's the first I've heard or seen one new leak like that but I guess anything could be defective.
Did you see Kedis82ZE8‘s post I provided and the link in his post?

Is there a reason they want you to pay cash $$$ instead of submitting this a warranty work?
OP is in Colombia and his CX-5 is out of any warranty.

You really need a second opinion.
The leaking rear crankshaft bearing seal is something most people don’t even aware and can live with it for a while. I wouldn’t pay for big bucks to replace it without warranty. But as I said earlier for $900 + $150 USD to fix all the problems listed in 3 days with OEM parts and factory-trained technician, I may just consider do it unless I plan not to keep the CX-5 too long.

This Mazda dealer has provided pictures and videos by requests from the OP, I do feel it’s more likely they’re a legit Mazda dealer even though some may think those pictures and videos could be fake.

Did you see Kedis82ZE8‘s post I provided and the link in his post?

OP is in Colombia and his CX-5 is out of any warranty.

The leaking rear crankshaft bearing seal is something most people don’t even aware and can live with it for a while. I wouldn’t pay for big bucks to replace it without warranty. But as I said earlier for $900 + $150 USD to fix all the problems listed in 3 days with OEM parts and factory-trained technician, I may just consider do it unless I plan not to keep the CX-5 too long.

This Mazda dealer has provided pictures and videos by requests from the OP, I do feel it’s more likely they’re a legit Mazda dealer even though some may think those pictures and videos could be fake.
Ok... I understand the new car having seals being defective but I don't understand a 2020 with only 28000 miles being out of warranty.
Are warranties in other countries really that bad?
And warranties vary by country ?
And from a $$ standpoint, your point about $1000 being a cheap fix for all this to go away seems sound advice.

Ok... I understand the new car having seals being defective but I don't understand a 2020 with only 28000 miles being out of warranty.
Are warranties in other countries really that bad?
And warranties vary by country ?
And from a $$ standpoint, your point about $1000 being a cheap fix for all this to go away seems sound advice.
Yes, new car warranties vary by country. I even heard BMW gave NO warranty several years ago at the time my good friend went to China for his US chemical company getting a brand-new Chinese-Special long wheel-based 5 Series.

Mazda Mexico 36 months or 60,000 kilometers. In Colombia where I am 36 months unlimited kilometers. Unfortunately my car is out of warranty.
When did you buy your car? I guess it was late '19 for it to be out of warranty?

Of course come to think of it, out of warranty work is more lucrative while also not running the risk of the manufacturer asking pesky questions.

Hard rightedge great research! No I don't know of any extended warranty for drive train. These guys would have told me if it were covered. Despite they're being under huge suspicion here for some things (belts, pads) they seem to be correct with warranty work. They've done some for me when damage was my fault not Mazda's.

Regarding the seal replacement currently underway I paid about $122 US for parts to make sure they would be available today for the work. The entire job will cost $860 US which includes the above.

Get a second opinion from another shop and have them show you the leak while the car is on a lift. That picture doesn't show much in my estimation. Be there in person and see for yourself. Maybe have them show you the brakes as well.

Also when my Ford's which used 5W-20 synthetic blend started seeping after 12 + years, i switched to Valvoline high mileage oil 5W-30. It reconditioned the seals and I think the thicker oil along with the additives also helped stopped the leak. And it seems Mazda allows 5W-30 to be used in it's engines.

Also when my Ford's which used 5W-20 synthetic blend started seeping after 12 + years, i switched to Valvoline high mileage oil 5W-30. It reconditioned the seals and I think the thicker oil along with the additives also helped stopped the leak. And it seems Mazda allows 5W-30 to be used in its engines.
I plan to switch to 5w-30 if my CX-5 starts consuming oil. Knock on wood, no leaks or consumption with 112k miles using 0w-20, 7500 mile intervals per the manual.

Wish I could tell for sure how bad this leak is based on photos. If it were my car and not covered by warranty, it’s something I’d clean up and monitor to be sure of the source and how bad the leak is.

Back