Getting worse - Infotainment restarts multiple times/sluggish when cold

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Now that the temperatures have dropped, my Infotainment center is acting weird. This used to happen during warranty period too but now I am kicking myself for ignoring it. It got terribly worse now. As long as the temp outside is low (near 4C / 40F) my infotainment screen do not come up and does an automatic restart. In fact, it'll do quite a few of these restarts till the inside cabin temp gets ambient. I have navigation and it also becomes very sluggish.

Anyone know of anything related to this and if something can be done to fix it?

Solution
Hi - after having got the Dexol (as recommended by the original @Buzzman12 post) and completing 3 rounds of cleaning things improved a bit but continues to be extremely sluggish still. After an exhaustive search and subsequently a discussion with the service manager in the local Mazda he recommended I switch out the SD card. I bought this SD card on his recommendation and it took a bit of jujitsu to clone the original but now things have definitely improved. 1 additional thing I did before cloning was to blow compressed air into the slot in the vehicle to have that dust cleaned too.
Side-Note...Speaking about OPs returning to update, please use our quote feature in addition to the @TheirUsername option to increase awareness, thanks!

Ps...Add to that, you can also send a heads up via PM. :)

Upvote 0
Hi - after having got the Dexol (as recommended by the original @Buzzman12 post) and completing 3 rounds of cleaning things improved a bit but continues to be extremely sluggish still. After an exhaustive search and subsequently a discussion with the service manager in the local Mazda he recommended I switch out the SD card. I bought https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)SD card on his recommendation and it took a bit of jujitsu to clone the original but now things have definitely improved. 1 additional thing I did before cloning was to blow compressed air into the slot in the vehicle to have that dust cleaned too.

Upvote 0
Solution
Dunno why unable to edit the above post! Anyways on one hand, a new SD card having new contacts so that's why its worked. But at the same time after tearing down the original card its some Chinese company which Google searching seems affiliated to Sandisk. The service manager told me he has not found 1 instance of this problem where the underlying SD card was NOT the original one supplied by Mazda. This got me thinking and I feel these SD cards have a temp. zone probably only in +ve Celcius as min. The one I bought is the literal extreme as it's specifically geared for industrial usage, with tremendous min/max temp and high # of inserts/ejects. Its actually feels also heavier than most SD cards! Yes its mSD so an adapter is required.

Upvote 0
Maybe move to a warmer area or maybe they did..?
I've used the CRC stuff before and it does work. The problem with this stuff is that it does nothing to keep the contacts from oxidizing again after use.

Deoxit does leave a protective film to help prevent future oxidation. This film also lubes the contacts a bit
I've used the CRC stuff before and it does work. The problem with this stuff is that it does nothing to keep the contacts from oxidizing again after use.

Deoxit does leave a protective film to help prevent future oxidation. This film also lubes the contacts a bit so insertion is easier too.
yikes....lubes ...insertion. easier....I just turned on my parental filtering,,,,,, sorry for the comments,,,I just had to...
I would suggest just moving to a warmer place...lol

Upvote 0
Maybe move to a warmer area or maybe they did..?

I would suggest just moving to a warmer place...lol

Why would I do that? I don't have any issues with the Nav card and I like it just fine where I am, thank you.

Upvote 0
Can I clone a new not yet locked to any vehicle SD card containing N.A. maps (I bought one from ebay) or I must first lock it to my vehicle (+65 miles, etc.) and then only will be able to clone it? Just bought a BHP1 66 EZ1N from by Mazda service guy for 45 USD. He said that's the latest there is and supposedly should work fine with my 2016 CX5 GT AWD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now that the temperatures have dropped, my Infotainment center is acting weird. This used to happen during warranty period too but now I am kicking myself for ignoring it. It got terribly worse now. As long as the temp outside is low (near 4C / 40F) my infotainment screen do not come up and does an automatic restart. In fact, it'll do quite a few of these restarts till the inside cabin temp gets ambient. I have navigation and it also becomes very sluggish.

Anyone know of anything related to this and if something can be done to fix it?
Just take the SD card out. Problem Solved! It's only used to store map data and navigation, anyways. Use Google Maps or another phone app for that.

Upvote 0
If I remember correctly, somebody has posted something about this, not to long ago. I don't remember, what was the solution, maybe the SD card connection?!
Take out the SD card and you're in business. I had the same problem, and I took the SD card out and it was like a miracle happened.

Upvote 0
SD card is most likely the culprit.
Every time I see it spins while loading for longer time, something bad happens... :(

Upvote 0
Mine on '17 CX5 failed after 5 yrs (not covered by B2B anymore).
And, it failed in summer in CA. :unsure:

With a new replacement SD card, A-OK so far.

Upvote 0
Back