Both fuel pumps failed (2022 CX-5)

:
2017 CX5
If anyone here has had both fuel pumps fail at the same time in a CX5 please let me know.
I have a 2022 CX5 CE. It’s my second CX5 and I love but I recently had problem that concerns me.
I was parked and idling when the engine stuttered, then shut down. It started back up but did it again.
I decided to shut down, lock it up and give it few minutes to possibly reset.
I got back in and started up. It was running fine but after a couple minutes it did it again.
I had it towed to the dealership. The next day they said both fuel pumps had failed and had never seen that before.
They sent an inquiry to MAZDA to see if they’ve seen that problem before but they said they hadn’t.
After a week both fuel pumps came in snd were replaced but they’re still having problems with it.
They’ve ordered a new wiring harness but they’re just guessing.
I’m concerned that they’re going through this blindly and I’m destined for more problems down the road.
If you’ve had a similar problem please let me know.
Thanks!

... they’re just guessing. ....
Perhaps you might want to change the title of your thread to something like the above. And there are a number of possibilities for the actual issue with your vehicle, so without being hands-on, all of us here would just be guessing as well.

It's certainly very annoying and disappointing for you to have to deal with this outfit, which seems to be little more than part-hangers. Hopefully for your sake they'll hang on the right part, sooner rather than later.

Could you possibly have had a critter chew some wiring? Just thinking out loud.

If anyone here has had both fuel pumps fail at the same time in a CX5 please let me know.
I have a 2022 CX5 CE. It’s my second CX5 and I love but I recently had problem that concerns me.
I was parked and idling when the engine stuttered, then shut down. It started back up but did it again.
I decided to shut down, lock it up and give it few minutes to possibly reset.
I got back in and started up. It was running fine but after a couple minutes it did it again.
I had it towed to the dealership. The next day they said both fuel pumps had failed and had never seen that before.
They sent an inquiry to MAZDA to see if they’ve seen that problem before but they said they hadn’t.
After a week both fuel pumps came in snd were replaced but they’re still having problems with it.
They’ve ordered a new wiring harness but they’re just guessing.
I’m concerned that they’re going through this blindly and I’m destined for more problems down the road.
If you’ve had a similar problem please let me know.
Thanks!

Ouch! I wish you luck, sounds like you're going to need it.

On a positive note. Glad to hear the problem was corrected. Sometimes the mechanic just replaces both rather than go test one by one. Good for them, saves time for the customer.

On a positive note. Glad to hear the problem was corrected. Sometimes the mechanic just replaces both rather than go test one by one. Good for them, saves time for the customer.
So far the problem hasn’t been solved. Their just “grabbing at straws” right now. I just hope I don’t get the “short one”.

Perhaps you might want to change the title of your thread to something like the above. And there are a number of possibilities for the actual issue with your vehicle, so without being hands-on, all of us here would just be guessing as well.

It's certainly very annoying and disappointing for you to have to deal with this outfit, which seems to be little more than part-hangers. Hopefully for your sake they'll hang on the right part, sooner rather than later.
They always did a great job on my 2017 CX5. When I bought it new I purchased an aftermarket warranty to carry me through my payment period. The rear differential went bad and the warranty company insisted on rebuilt parts
My dealership uses nothing by new Mazda OEM parts a refused to negotiate down.
I got a complete new rear end because of them.
I trust them, but with all the new systems, electronics, etc., they’re adding each year, it’s sometimes difficult to pinpoint a problem you’ve never seen before.🤞🏻

They always did a great job on my 2017 CX5. When I bought it new I purchased an aftermarket warranty to carry me through my payment period. The rear differential went bad and the warranty company insisted on rebuilt parts
My dealership uses nothing by new Mazda OEM parts a refused to negotiate down.
I got a complete new rear end because of them.
I trust them, but with all the new systems, electronics, etc., they’re adding each year, it’s sometimes difficult to pinpoint a problem you’ve never seen before.🤞🏻
It's good to read that they've done well by you in the past. And your current issue being covered by warranty, is certainly not going to cause a financial hit to you. They're going to have to keep hammering away at it until it's fixed. So they don't sound at all like a stealership to me.

What I do have a problem with, is what certainly sounds to me like a poor diagnostic approach. They may, or may not have found something (an OBD code, or low fuel rail pressure), which indicated a fuel delivery issue. With no way of knowing the true story there, we'll just assume they did find something that confirmed a fuel-related issue. Fine so far.

But at that point, if they're going to start at the low pressure FP (which is also ok), then they should have done a fuel pressure test on that pump. Then, if the pump fails that pressure test, it gets replaced. But if the pressure test is ok, there's obviously no point in replacing that pump.

So it certainly sounds like they didn't do that fuel pressure test, UNLESS they did do it, the pressure was bad, they replaced that pump, but the fuel delivery issue was still there. IMO, the probability of 2 or more fuel system components failing concurrently, on a nearly new vehicle is as close to zero as it can possibly be.

I believe that new techs are extensively trained in the use of the automakers proprietary diagnostic tool (VCM2 for Mazda), and many of them become nearly totally reliant on the tool for their diagnosis. So if the tool isn't providing the answers they need to resolve a given issue, that's when the guessing begins. Simple diagnostic testing with a multimeter, a vacuum gauge, or things such as a fuel pressure test, likely don't get any consideration these days, even though they can (still) be very helpful in resolving automotive issues.

But I'll certainly concede that I'm not looking over their shoulder on the problem with your vehicle, and I could be wrong about what I believe happened. In any case, I hope they get problem resolved quickly for you, without any more return trips for the same thing in the future.

Got some good news. Mazda got back my dealer and said there is a wiring harness that is under car that has a cover over it that is defective. Mazda knows about and what happens is one of the connectors doesn’t seal. If it gets wet it can short out and damage both fuel pumps.
There isn’t a replacement part available so Mazda is pulling one from the assembly line and shipping it in. I’m guessing there might eventually be a recall depending on the rate of failure.
I have no idea when my car will be ready but I’m not worried about it since I was given a new CX9 as a loaner until it’s done.

So the title is wrong. It's the wire harness.
Yes. Sounds like recall is a possibility for '22 (got one myself).

So the title is wrong. It's the wire harness.
Yes. Sounds like recall is a possibility for '22 (got one myself).

I think the title is still accurate.
Both pumps failed, but it was due to wiring.

The OP could update the title to reference the wiring: "Fuel pumps failed due to wiring." or something like that.

I am curious what that wiring is. Great if we can get a part number when its fixed to see if applies to all 2022 or just the non-turbo as well as if it can be protected by wrapping it up with tape or some other way to prevent the issue.
Thats what Mazda did with the power liftgate harness water ingress issue (there is tsb)
Hopefully Op can get his car fixed soon to enjoy it.

I really don't mind driving the loaner CX9. I put a lot of miles on my car each day so putting them on the CX9 is fine with me. I've had the car for less than 2 weeks and have already put 1300 on it.

.... Mazda got back my dealer and said there is a wiring harness that is under car that has a cover over it that is defective. Mazda knows about and what happens is one of the connectors doesn’t seal. If it gets wet it can short out and damage both fuel pumps.

I had previously decided to not post my thoughts on this again, because I had already been quite negative about what they had done so far, and didn't see any point to adding to what I'd already said. However, with folks now talking about things like possible recalls, and patching a defect, I now feel the need to say what I really think about everything that's been reported here.

First off, according to the dealer's story, Mazda did not know anything about this issue of both fuel pumps failing simultaneously, with a possible relationship to a wiring harness, However, just a short time later, they did claim to be aware of the issue, assuming that's what "Mazda knows about" from the OP's post above means. Perhaps a case of Mazda initial support being weak? Or possibly just BS? Who knows?

Next comes the question of this defective 'cover'. Unless they disassembled the entire fuel pump harness all the way up to the front of the vehicle, they must be referring to the fuel pump assembly cover, which is located under the rear seat. First off, I'll agree that liquid getting past that cover, could enter the fuel pump connector under it and short out the pump. However, this area of the vehicle is so well protected, that there's no possible way for anything from outside the vehicle to get to that area - unless someone tries to use it as a boat.

So the only ways I can think of for liquid to get to that cover would be if someone spills a drink on that area of the back seat, or if a window or the moon roof was left open, letting lots of precipitation in. So to the OP - did anything like that happened with this vehicle?

Now could they be talking about some other cover on another area of the fuel pump wiring harness? Perhaps so, but that entire set of wires runs in a very well protected part of the vehicle, and it's impossible for me to imagine external moisture getting anywhere near another connector in the fuel pump circuits.

What I've mentioned so far is in the questionable category, but I'll concede that it's POSSIBLE for liquid to come through the fuel pump cover (or a different cover), run down into the low pressure fuel pump connector, and short out that pump.

But at this point, their story goes from what's possible, to the very highly improbable IMO. The high pressure fuel pump is a non-electrical, totally mechanical pump, driven by the exhaust cam. So for this outfit to be saying that a short in the low pressure fuel pump connector also took out the high pressure fuel pump is, I believe, detached from reality. And if they claim that the HPFP failed because of no fuel being delivered, that would be totally illogical as well, because who designs a downstream pump which could fail in a no-load situation? So for me, when one part of their story has such a giant red flag, that creates lots of doubt about the entire thing.

I obviously have no way of knowing how much (or any) of what they said is true, but do believe that at least some of their current story is a cover-up for the part hanging that they did previously. Of course, they will ultimately get the vehicle fixed and can say whatever they want to, regarding what the actual root cause and repair was. And there will be no way to refute anything they say.

Regardless of how this thread turns out and what they say, the bottom line on this for me is that I'm not going to lose any sleep over fuel pumps getting shorted out by liquid coming through a cover. But if other folks choose to remain concerned about all of this, that would certainly be up to you.

⋯ The high pressure fuel pump is a non-electrical, totally mechanical pump, driven by the exhaust cam. So for this outfit to be saying that a short in the low pressure fuel pump connector took out the high pressure fuel pump is, I believe, detached from reality.
I always thought the high pressure fuel pump on the CX-5 is electrical. Although it’s mechanical, the PCM controls the fuel pressure value and drives the spill valve control solenoid valve for optimum control of fuel pressure. So a bad wiring connector could affect the HPFP.

IMO, any kind of electrical short on wiring connectors should only burn the fuse, but can’t damage either one of the fuel pumps.

I always thought the high pressure fuel pump on the CX-5 is electrical. Although it’s mechanical, the PCM controls the fuel pressure value and drives the spill valve control solenoid valve for optimum control of fuel pressure. So a bad wiring connector could affect the HPFP.
Yes there are actually 2 electrical 'associations' for the HPFP - the spill valve and the (high) fuel pressure sensor. However both of those electrical components have dedicated circuits wired directly to the PCM, and cannot be affected by anything that happens on any other individual circuit, including the low pressure fuel pump (which is actually wired to the fuel pump control module, which is in turn has its own set of dedicated circuits to the PCM).

IMO, any kind of electrical short on wiring connectors should only burn the fuse, but can’t damage either one of the fuel pumps.
I agree that's what should happen, and also that the pump should never actually be shorted. I was just trying make as much of a concession as possible to what that dealership told the OP, by saying that shorting of the pump is POSSIBLE (with the 'right' combination of electrical events). My main point was that no event like that can also take out the HPFP, unless the PCM is trashed as well.

Back