2019 CX-5 33K miles. Red "teapot" oil lite came on, then CEL…Now all off

Last Monday I had dealer do LOF service at 33,000 mi. Two days later while drifting into our little local town, the red oil pressure light came on. (Red "teapot") Right after the Check Engine amber light came on. Then teapot went off. Stopped; checked oil. Up full. Called dealer which is 85 miles away in Spokane, WA. Of course they said, "don't touch anything, " and bring it in - still under drive train warranty. Probably have to leave it for a day. So we've used our Cherokee. But today, I figured I ought to try the Mazda. CEL on again, but by the time I reached our nearest town, (17 miles), it went off. NO instrument alerts at all now. SO.....Monday, I'll call dealer about my Tuesday appointment. I really don't want to make a 170 mile round trip for nothing. Can someone answer the following?
1. It has always been my impression that a car's computer watches for fault signals, and when enough stack up, it turns on a dash light. My experience with our Cherokee and some others, (OBDII era), is that when a fault is set, it has to be re-set with a tester or diag. machine like at a dealer. Is the CX-5 the same?
2. After light self-extinguishes, does the fault code stay in the computer's history? (Like can you still read it out to see what it was)
3. Dealer said drive train warranty covers checking this kind of thing. True??? (I don't trust dealers)
4. When I call dealer Monday they will either cancel appointment and tell me to watch it, or, they'll still want to see it and it will be a waste of my time and travel money. Suggestions?
5. Do any of you read out your own codes? If so, what reader do you use and at what cost?
Now with the bad lights all off, I'm thinking the car believes nothing is wrong.................
We're retired and have to watch $$$$, so I do my homework as much as I can. Tips really appreciated, Dennis in E WA state.

Last Monday I had dealer do LOF service at 33,000 mi. Two days later while drifting into our little local town, the red oil pressure light came on. (Red "teapot") Right after the Check Engine amber light came on. Then teapot went off. Stopped; checked oil. Up full. Called dealer which is 85 miles away in Spokane, WA. Of course they said, "don't touch anything, " and bring it in - still under drive train warranty. Probably have to leave it for a day. So we've used our Cherokee. But today, I figured I ought to try the Mazda. CEL on again, but by the time I reached our nearest town, (17 miles), it went off. NO instrument alerts at all now. SO.....Monday, I'll call dealer about my Tuesday appointment. I really don't want to make a 170 mile round trip for nothing. Can someone answer the following?
1. It has always been my impression that a car's computer watches for fault signals, and when enough stack up, it turns on a dash light. My experience with our Cherokee and some others, (OBDII era), is that when a fault is set, it has to be re-set with a tester or diag. machine like at a dealer. Is the CX-5 the same?
2. After light self-extinguishes, does the fault code stay in the computer's history? (Like can you still read it out to see what it was)
3. Dealer said drive train warranty covers checking this kind of thing. True??? (I don't trust dealers)
4. When I call dealer Monday they will either cancel appointment and tell me to watch it, or, they'll still want to see it and it will be a waste of my time and travel money. Suggestions?
5. Do any of you read out your own codes? If so, what reader do you use and at what cost?
Now with the bad lights all off, I'm thinking the car believes nothing is wrong.................
We're retired and have to watch $$$$, so I do my homework as much as I can. Tips really appreciated, Dennis in E WA state.
1.) Yes, dealer or mechanic or DIY if you have OBD scanner.
2.) Yes, until reset by mechanic
3.) Should
4.) They can see code and then determine if vehicle needs kept.
5.) Used to have a cheap coder which doesn't work on Mazdas.
I just drive to my local mechanic to get codes checked. May buy my own and waiting to see responses to your question for the best scanner out there for a Mazda.

It's under warranty, cost you nothing to get it checked except loss of time. Better that than have an engine blow up.

I use and like the FORscan app with a Bluetooth dongle plugged into obii port. You can do quite a bit with the "lite" version on a phone app and a whole bunch more with the PC based system and hard wire connection. (I have both, but have never used PC/hardwire)

The app is inexpensive, I think $6 I paid for it and maybe $30ish for the dongle.

I had a warning light one time for oil on my 2018. And it was after I'd gone to the dealer for something completely unrelated, like Android Auto install, or recall or something. And they informed me afterwards that I had too much oil, and they had removed some.

That pissed me off. I didn't ask them to check the oil, and if it was high, they should have shown me the dip stick. It was not, they probably measured it right after shutting off engine.

I added oil to get back near top of range and never had an issue again.

One very easy thing to do is check that both battery terminal connections are tight. They might have disconnected the battery in order to do the maintenance, and later forgot to tighten a connector - most likely the negative one.

Thanks, everyone. I'll call the dealership tomorrow, Monday, morning, and tell them the lights went off. I have a good hunch they'll still tell me to come in to check code history on my Tuesday appointment. It's a fine idea, except for the 170 mile round trip.....when I have nothing else to go to Spokane for. I think it's a burp from when they did LOF 2 days prior to the lights coming on. I'm checking the oil in the car this morning again......it was some warm when I checked it right after that incident. I'm anxious to quit using the dealer for anything - they always try to oversell for one thing. I have a good local mechanic. No, "wait in the waiting room," with him.....I can be right next to him working if I choose. (I usually don't, 'cause that's just bothering someone).
Anyway, by Tuesday I'll know how this turns out.

Lube. Oil. Filter.

From the way back machine when vehicles had zerk fittings to grease chassis components such as tie rod ends, u-joints, ball joints, etc.

Nope, still current. According to the CX-5 Owners Manual, the locks and hinges are to be lubricated every 5000 miles when the vehicle is operated under severe conditions.

125DE0B2-3948-4CC6-8C08-46C442C4D668.jpeg

Nope, still current. According to the CX-5 Owners Manual, the locks and hinges are to be lubricated every 5000 miles when the vehicle is operated under severe conditions.

Wonder how many places actually do it. I usually do it myself with a tube of lithium grease.
I've never seen it show up on an invoice from the dealer.

Wonder how many places actually do it. I usually do it myself with a tube of lithium grease.
This service isn't listed in Mazda's Full Circle Service Report so you should expect that a Mazda dealer will not perform it. Be thankful for that since all it would accomplish is gumming stuff up. I can't recall anybody performing these services, dealer or otherwise, Mazda or otherwise, in probably two decades. Hinges and locks have improved over the years.

That 5,000 mile interval is absurd. It's an as needed service for when you note less than smooth operation. Nowadays you'd have to periodically check the emergency key inside the smart fob. You certainly wouldn't want to just squirt graphite in the key hole ever 5,000 miles.

My 2014 Sienna has 110,000 miles on it, the Sienna before that had 150,000 miles, and the CX-5 has 19,000 miles and I never lubed hinges or squirted graphite in these vehicles and see no evidence anybody else has either. All good. I can't help but think that's typical.

I gave upon white lithium grease years ago. It ran in hot weather and collected a lot of grime. Went to a light machine oil on hinges and SuperLube synthetic grease on sliding surfaces.

Called dealer this morning and told him our CX-5 cleared it's own code. No CEL on at all now. Dealer said we didn't need to bring it in. If code returns, different matter. I think it's a coincidence that this happened 2 days after their LOF. A year ago when the did LOF and washed the car, second day after the passenger folding side mirror quit working. I let it sit for a couple days and it was fine. It was their wash job, I'm sure; got wet in the mirror works. A known problem. Now this winter I've disabled the folding feature during bad weather. I'll watch for the CEL for a while. Thanks everyone.

Not sure if it's related to this Dennis.

Back