Hanging Wheel Well Liner (2020 CX-5)

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I just washed my car and discovered that the fabric rear wheel well liner is hanging down on the passenger side. Not so far that it is touching the tire but quite loose. I can't really see what holds it in place. Does anyone know? It's only on that side so far. As to cause I can only guess that mud build up from all the mud puddles on my unpaved road following rains might have added weight that pulled it free. Tomorrow I have an appointment for the 45,000 kilometer maintenance and hopefully the shop can fix it

Very good, looks like something Mazda should be able to fix tomorrow.

Very good, looks like something Mazda should be able to fix tomorrow.
Yes, it may have just been defective, maybe some of the plastic retainer pins/clips/snaps were not in tightly or even missing.

They should fix free under warranty for above.

However if it was due to rough offroading that cracked the fender liner or pulled the liner which popped the clips then they may want to charge you. Depending on the cost, just go to an auto store and buy some plastic retainer clips/probably B's and pop them in. Very simple to do as long as the panel isn't cracked/broken.

Last year I purchased this plastic rivet kit from Amazon. Replaced some of the one's on the large plastic underbody panels. Also some that attach the front plastic fender liners in the wheel wells. Putting a washer under the rivet head made for a good tight connection after noticing a new rivet alone was not enough.

The tool included in the kit makes old rivet removal a breeze.

Very good thank you. Well it turns out it wasn't a simple fix at the dealer today.The manager said a new liner would have to be ordered and it will have to be imported! And will take 60 days to get here! Balderdash! Colombians are very good at fixing things without factory backup and I will take it to a private shop which will fix it one way or another. I imagine an autonomy shop would be the place to go.

Very good thank you. Well it turns out it wasn't a simple fix at the dealer today.The manager said a new liner would have to be ordered and it will have to be imported! And will take 60 days to get here! Balderdash! Colombians are very good at fixing things without factory backup and I will take it to a private shop which will fix it one way or another. I imagine an autonomy shop would be the place to go.
Jack your car up, put on jack stands, take the tire off and see if the liner is ripped. Also see if the liner is ripped near the clip/pin holes.

If not, order some new plastic clips(from Amazon posted by JMAZ above) and do it yourself.
You can also get new fender liners online for cheap.

Attached is a picture of a liner that the clips/pins fell off and it hung down and was broke off by contact with the moving tire.

Likewise a picture of the wheel well(if you take the tire/rim off) and how easy it is to see and clip new fender liner... Clipping it should only take a few minutes.
Remove and replace liner should take about an hour.

just make sure you have floor jack under front crossmember and a jackstand(preferably) or your scissor-jack under the pinch-weld. Also shove your tire(with rim under the frame and maybe a wood board or two) so if the car falls, you have 3 points of support.

Its an easy job... you may not want to pay someone to fix it.
If you have three places of support, then if one fails, the other 2 should prevent vehicle from falling on you.

Attachments

• Mazda fender liner.png
    Mazda fender liner.png
    225.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Mazda wheel well.png
    Mazda wheel well.png
    363.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Actually the liner is beyond repair and a replacement has arrived at the dealer so will have it replaced shortly. A short time ago I visited the Mazda colision repair shop to ask about repair there. The manger said those liners fall frequently. That said I suspect the failure in my case has to do with the six kilometers of dirt road I drive almost daily. Except for a short dry season it's rainy here and the dirt road is often muddy. I suspect the liner gets loaded up with wet mud and the weight causes it to fall. It's a shame Mazda didn't use a ridged fiberglass liner of some sort which would have withstood such conditions.

Back