2020 CX-5 GT - New Android Auto rolling out for 2023?

Google recently announced that a new Android Auto is rolling out to those cars with android auto and the layout is WAY better use of space. Will those of us with the 2017-2020 infotainment have a way of updating to the latest firmware with this new Android Auto or does the Android Auto need to be updated on our phones and our infotainment will get the layout from our phone and not a firmware update to the infotainment system itself? I'm new to Mazda and new to the way Mazda updates its infotainment. I'm a Honda guy and my current Honda Pilot will get it's updates over wifi from the car (via tethering) or home over wifi. The 2020 CX-5 I just bought doesn't seem to have any way to update the firmware over the internet. The 2021's I believe do have the option to update the firmware over wifi. My question, I find the 8" screen lacking and wasteful of usable space when using Android Auto - I find it unreasonable that in todays age that you have to go to the dealer to get your infotainment system updated and can't do this from home or have some instructions that you can download it and do it via USB yourself? 2 weeks ago my dealer updated my firmware to the latest version (as I just bought it certified use with 18k miles) and I just recently updated the GPS SD card using Mazda Connect map updater so I know everything is good to go. Also, my infotainment takes a while to boot up and get everything "booted/loaded" - I can start my car, connect my phone, pull out of my driveway, go down the street and the infotainment is still not loading up Android auto until almost 1 minute from pushing the car start button. Sorry - I know this is a lot, but I'm looking for some guidance from those more experience than me here on what to expect and to set future expectations and actions as I love this car but I can't help but feel Mazda makes it a PIA to update anything or keep current thus far. Maybe I should have sprung for the 2021...who knows. Thank you everyone for any feedback you can provide :)

The update lands on the phone, not the car. The car is just a terminal, basically. Your old car might have gotten updates for the actual firmware this way, but AA and ACP both rely on updates through the phones.

Android Auto is going away if not gone already. In place it will be called Google Assistant.

Android auto is horrible. So many glitches. I have a pixel 6 pro and you can’t do hands free commands. Have to use the button on the steering wheel. I’ve played around with settings for hours and can’t get it to work. It started with the last update in November. Im not an apple fan, but I may switch to an iPhone as google does not support the android system well.

and yeah, it’s no longer AA, it’s part of the assistant. You cant make changes to AA as there aren’t any settings, it’s garbage.

Last edited:
Android auto is horrible.
Works fine on my Pixel 7 Pro and my (hacked) 2016.

I have a pixel 6 pro and you can’t do hands free commands. Have to use the button on the steering wheel.
This is by design and works this way in every car. The car manufacturer would have to build in the capability for a phone to use a microphone all the time (this being the key part, actually holding the mic open 100% of the time) in the car. However, your phone should still be listening, although I haven't tried it, because using the button is so easy to do I'd rather do that then "Hey Google...Ok Google...hey Google..." trying to get that to work. Because that never seems to work on the first try... unlike the button. :D

Im not an apple fan, but I may switch to an iPhone as google does not support the android system well.
I mean, getting a bug fix MONTHLY, getting new features bi-monthly... that's pretty good support. You're mad that... handsfree activation doesn't work though the car and saying Google doesn't support it's product? For the record, Siri is a) worse the Google (and is cited so often as true I wouldn't even call that an opinion) and b) also will not use the mic in the car to be always active.

Last edited:
Works fine on my Pixel 7 Pro and my (hacked) 2016.

This is by design and works this way in every car. The car manufacturer would have to build in the capability for a phone to use a microphone all the time (this being the key part, actually holding the mic open 100% of the time) in the car. However, your phone should still be listening, although I haven't tried it, because using the button is so easy to do I'd rather do that then "Hey Google...Ok Google...hey Google..." trying to get that to work. Because that never seems to work on the first try... unlike the button. :D

I mean, getting a bug fix MONTHLY, getting new features bi-monthly... that's pretty good support. You're mad that... handsfree activation doesn't work though the car and saying Google doesn't support it's product? For the record, Siri is a) worse the Google (and is cited so often as true I wouldn't even call that an opinion) and b) also will not use the mic in the car to be always active.
hands free saying ok google used to work before the latest update. Now it doesn’t. I liked it and much prefer it. Hope they fix it. There are so many other things wrong with the new pixels, I don’t even know where to start. I had a 2xl for like 5 years, worked flawlessly. Upgraded to a 6 pro because it gave me 5g and it was free, sorry I did. Things show up on the home screen for seemingly no reason (e.g., weather alerts), do not disturb randomly turns on, assistant doesnt work if you are near another Google device, lots more annoying stuff, including signal getting dropped yet my wife’s iPhone 14 right next to me still has it. Something just isn’t right with these new pixels.

back to original ops question, I have a pilot too and updates are done via WiFi, but I don’t recall it updating AA, just the system. I could be wrong unless Honda just updates the interface in some way, butI thought AA update was done by the phone.

hands free saying ok google used to work before the latest update. Now it doesn’t. I liked it and much prefer it. Hope they fix it. There are so many other things wrong with the new pixels, I don’t even know where to start. I had a 2xl for like 5 years, worked flawlessly. Upgraded to a 6 pro because it gave me 5g and it was free, sorry I did. Things show up on the home screen for seemingly no reason (e.g., weather alerts), do not disturb randomly turns on, assistant doesnt work if you are near another Google device, lots more annoying stuff, including signal getting dropped yet my wife’s iPhone 14 right next to me still has it. Something just isn’t right with these new pixels.
That hasn't been my experience at all. Had a P6Pro and the only reason I moved to a 7 was because I shattered it. I know there have been some issues, luckily I haven't seen many. LOVE my phone.

back to original ops question, I have a pilot too and updates are done via WiFi, but I don’t recall it updating AA, just the system. I could be wrong unless Honda just updates the interface in some way, butI thought AA update was done by the phone.
As I said in reply #2, this is how they ALL work. AA is not truly installed on the head unit. ACP is not either. That is dependent on Apple/Google updating the apps on the phone. This is why AA and ACP are becoming so prevalent. The car company only need enable the interface to the phone to get those services to work. They don't have to dick around actually doing anything with AA / ACP.

I just tested my wife’s iPhone 14 and Siri is hands free, no need to push a button. Something is up with AA and/or my pixel

I just tested my wife’s iPhone 14 and Siri is hands free, no need to push a button. Something is up with AA and/or my pixel
Sure, but I can almost guarantee you the phone is picking it up. It's not the mic in the car being held open.
Can you activate Assistant on the phone when you are not in the car without touching it?

Sure, but I can almost guarantee you the phone is picking it up. It's not the mic in the car being held open.
Can you activate Assistant on the phone when you are not in the car without touching it?
Yes, when not in the car, the google assistant works just fine without touching the phone.

when in the car, I say ok google, I hear a beep and then nothing. Something is blocking the assistant while in the car.

In my vehicle Google Assistant connects automatically to Android Auto upon starting the car. One has to make sure all options are set on your phone/Google Assistant to enable auto connect.
It works flawlessly on my car. Nothing has to be spoken.
You connect via Bluetooth or a usb cable? I use the cable so my phone can also charge.

Get in my car this morning, figured I’ll give the assistant another chance. Say ok google and all of a sudden it works. I don’t know if it’s AA or the pixel that is the issue, but what a mess. Phone did not receive any updates and I didn’t change any settings.

One has to make sure all options are set on your phone/Google Assistant to enable auto connect.
It works flawlessly on my car. Nothing has to be spoken.
I think you are missing the point, MM. He WANTS to speak. So yes, something does need to be spoken and that's what WASN'T working. So for example, when he's driving he wants to just say "Ok Google, text the wife that I will be 30 minutes late".

Ok I find not speaking to be easier, but to each his own.
I think you're missing something here. We are talking about interacting with the phone while driving. Of course speaking is easier and safer than not because not would be interacting with your phone.

to the subject at hand, yes - new Android Auto layout is now live via the android app getting updated. Got a surprise today via my Galaxy S22 Ultra connected to my 2019 CX-5. Haven't updated the headunit, still runs the 70.00.352 software from factory. Here's some pictures of the new layout live on my little headunit. I gotta say, navigating with our joystick has improved a bit with this update.

Attachments

• 20230208_112947.jpg
    20230208_112947.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 115
  • 20230208_113643.jpg
    20230208_113643.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 20230208_113704.jpg
    20230208_113704.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 119
I'm more impressed by the camera on that phone. Almost too good. Showing every spec of dust! Good god man, dust your car!! :D :D (I joke of course, I know these phones make it look 10 times worse then it truly is).

to the subject at hand, yes - new Android Auto layout is now live via the android app getting updated. Got a surprise today via my Galaxy S22 Ultra connected to my 2019 CX-5. Haven't updated the headunit, still runs the 70.00.352 software from factory. Here's some pictures of the new layout live on my little headunit. I gotta say, navigating with our joystick has improved a bit with this update.
I just got it today. So far I hate it.

I like the map to be full screen, but still able to pause my audiobook on audible. Now I have to eather lose 30% of my map, or not be able to pause/resume. If my 2018 had a pause function on the steering wheel, or even command knob interface, then I'd be okay to just put it in full screen map mode all the time.

Back