235/55/19 or 245/50/19 Tires (2021 CX-5 Signature)

Hi Folks,

I currently have the stock Toyo A36 tires on my 2021 CX-5 Signature. The tires only have 25K on them. We have been experiencing torrential rain and flooding in NorCal and it's only recently I discovered that in this weather the Toyo A36 tires are just terrible when it comes to hydroplaning! Therefore, even though the tires still have a fair amount of life in them, I am going to replace them with a better wet weather tire for safety reasons.

I am considering the 2 most popular tires, Continental DWS 06 Plus and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4. My wheels are the stock 7 inch wheels. In talking with two different individuals each at Tire Rack and Discount Tire, all four individuals said there was no safety issue putting 245/50/19 tires on the 7 inch rim since the manufacturers of these tire models list 7 inches as the minimum allowed for this width, and let's face it, it's a CX-5 not a Corvette so it's not like I am going to be racing people so I guess a little tire roll would be acceptable on this vehicle.

I would really appreciate some input on a few things:

For those that have had both the Continental DWS 06 Plus and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4, which did you prefer and why? Wet, dry, noise, comfort, mpg, steering sharpness, etc.

What are the pros and cons of 235/55/19 vs 245/50/19? Obviously the 245's look better with the wider stance. Oddly, the 235/55/19 is actually a pound heavier than the 245/50/19 in the DWS 06 Plus. Michelin does not make the 235's in this size so I would have to get the Continentals if I went with the 235's. Both make the 245's. I assume MPG may suffer slightly with the 245's but since it's only the width a pencil wider than the 235's I can't imagine it would be a significant difference.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

both are excellent tires , top of the tops and quite simillar. So its hard to pick either. Some love the dws others love the psp4 a/s.

235 55 19 seems too different vs oem and will also slightly lift your car. Actual Speed of the car will be just a bit over what speedo shows.

245/50/19 seems more closely matching the oem size. less differences in revs and diameter. Speed will be just a bit below what speedo will show.

If it was me and it fits the oem wheel nicely, I would go with 245/50/19 and probably pick the Michelin. Good luck.

Hi Folks,

I currently have the stock Toyo A36 tires on my 2021 CX-5 Signature. The tires only have 25K on them. We have been experiencing torrential rain and flooding in NorCal and it's only recently I discovered that in this weather the Toyo A36 tires are just terrible when it comes to hydroplaning! Therefore, even though the tires still have a fair amount of life in them, I am going to replace them with a better wet weather tire for safety reasons.

I am considering the 2 most popular tires, Continental DWS 06 Plus and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4. My wheels are the stock 7 inch wheels. In talking with two different individuals each at Tire Rack and Discount Tire, all four individuals said there was no safety issue putting 245/50/19 tires on the 7 inch rim since the manufacturers of these tire models list 7 inches as the minimum allowed for this width, and let's face it, it's a CX-5 not a Corvette so it's not like I am going to be racing people so I guess a little tire roll would be acceptable on this vehicle.

For those that have had both the Continental DWS 06 Plus and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4, which did you prefer and why? Wet, dry, noise, comfort, mpg, steering sharpness, etc.

What are the pros and cons of 235/55/19 vs 245/50/19? Obviously the 245's look better with the wider stance. Oddly, the 235/55/19 is actually a pound heavier than the 245/50/19 in the DWS 06 Plus. Michelin does not make the 235's in this size so I would have to get the Continentals if I went with the 235's. Both make the 245's. I assume MPG may suffer slightly with the 245's but since it's only the width a pencil wider than the 235's I can't imagine it would be a significant difference.

Just wondering why you don’t consider 225/55R19 tires specified by the Mazda? I don’t believe you can tell the difference on driving performance between 225 and 235 / 245. My concern will be the wider tires could rub the front struts even easier as the stock 225 had rubbed them on my CX-5.

C6615917-5167-43CC-9844-683224C39758.jpeg

Here’s an old list of 225/55R19 tires for your comparison.

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Some popular 225/55R19 tires here are Continental CrossContact LX25、Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3、General AltiMAX RT43、Michelin CrossClimate², etc. Do a search for each specific tire you prefer. In NorCal, you don’t really need the most expensive Michelin CrossClimate² for your CX-5.

I've got the Mich CrossClimates. That tread pattern is best for wet weather, it can evacuate water faster thru the open channels. I went with 225/65 17 on aftermarket wheels (for the lightest wheel/tire I could justify price on ). Wet weather traction is very good. Tire/wheel weight dropped a huge amount from the stock 19's. Stock 59.5 pounds, CrossClimate 43.8 pounds. I can much easier chirp all four tires from a stop (not a brakestand), and accel is noticeably quicker.

Just wondering why you don’t consider 225/55R19 tires specified by the Mazda? I don’t believe you can tell the difference on driving performance between 225 and 235 / 245. My concern will be the wider tires could rub the front struts even easier as the stock 225 had rubbed them on my CX-5.

View attachment 315141

Here’s an old list of 225/55R19 tires for your comparison.

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Some popular 225/55R19 tires here are Continental CrossContact LX25、Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3、General AltiMAX RT43、Michelin CrossClimate², etc. Do a search for each specific tire you prefer. In NorCal, you don’t really need the most expensive Michelin CrossClimate² for your CX-5.
Very interesting regarding the rubbing on you strut from the stock 225's. What year and model is your CX-5? My main concern right now is a tire with better wet weather traction vs the stock Toyo A36. I felt like I was driving on ice on the freeway Friday in the pouring rain heading to San Francisco and I was driving slowly in the slow lane. The reason I was thinking 235 or 245 is I much prefer the look of the wider tires but again safety in the rain is my primary concern. The skinny tires are probably the only aesthetic feature I dislike about the CX-5.

Very interesting regarding the rubbing on you strut from the stock 225's. What year and model is your CX-5? My main concern right now is a tire with better wet weather traction vs the stock Toyo A36. I felt like I was driving on ice on the freeway Friday in the pouring rain heading to San Francisco and I was driving slowly in the slow lane. The reason I was thinking 235 or 245 is I much prefer the look of the wider tires but again safety in the rain is my primary concern. The skinny tires are probably the only aesthetic feature I dislike about the CX-5.
Any tires mentioned in my post will have better wet traction than the half-worn stock A36’s. I really don’t think 10mm or 20mm wider tread will make much differences on better wet traction or preventing hydroplaning. Like you actually want narrower snow tires to have better traction on wintery road conditions. You can check the wet performance for each tire at the Tire Rack website.

I have a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD.

We've had Continental DWs 6 on several different cars- Mostly BMW's. I was very impressed with the ride, handling, noise and wear life on them. I would even consider them for our 2023 CX-5 when the oem tires are shot.

DWS6 great tire indeed but not available in our 19" oem size. The best tire (all season) and for warmer climate at the moment only Michelin Pilot Sport 4 AS is available in the size. The rest which were mentioned Conti lx25, Michelin cc2 and Pirelli Scorpion AS 3 are also very good and close but cannot match the Pilot sport except they are cheaper. CC2 is very good for moderate to cold climates and/or rain/snow.
At the end of the day pretty much anything is better from those listed above than the stock Toyo A36s. The A36 is ok for dry and warm weather and thats it. Its terrible on wet and even worse on snow. especially for the Turbo.

I bought a set of the Continental Extreme Contact DSW06 Plus tires in 235/55 R19 size last September for my 2019 GT-Reserve. The original Toyo's were pretty worn on the front at only about 15,000 miles. The shop told me the alignment was off even though I hadn't noticed it while driving as the car always tracked straight and didn't pull to one side for example.

I now have a little less than 4000 miles on them and am pleased. So far I have only driven in what could best be described as a couple of inches of slush on the road and no real powdery snow. But they inspired a lot more confidence than the OEM Toyos. The are quiet and grip well on dry surfaces when I drive the mountain highways here in a rather spirited fashion.

I paid for a "lifetime alignment" so I am going to take advantage of that and get it in to the shop every 5000 miles for an inspection. I think I paid close to $1400 for the set of four including the alignment, mounting, other fees and tax so I had better get more mileage out of them than I did on the OEM Toyos.

Hi Folks,

Do not put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 245/50/19 to 7-inch rim! i did that and posted on here you can read it.
to solve that jello issue I had to go with 19x8.5 rims.

I also posted here about Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4

Late post but you don't put a 245 tire on a 7" wheel. Will it fit yes, is it actually safe.....potentially not. You get a lot more roll of the sidewalls which is dangerous for moderate to hard cornering and emergency maneuvers. Not to mention the more jello ride. It could also lead to issues with the sidewalls over the long run.

I bought a set of the Continental Extreme Contact DSW06 Plus tires in 235/55 R19 size last September for my 2019 GT-Reserve. The original Toyo's were pretty worn on the front at only about 15,000 miles. The shop told me the alignment was off even though I hadn't noticed it while driving as the car always tracked straight and didn't pull to one side for example.

I now have a little less than 4000 miles on them and am pleased. So far I have only driven in what could best be described as a couple of inches of slush on the road and no real powdery snow. But they inspired a lot more confidence than the OEM Toyos. The are quiet and grip well on dry surfaces when I drive the mountain highways here in a rather spirited fashion.

I paid for a "lifetime alignment" so I am going to take advantage of that and get it in to the shop every 5000 miles for an inspection. I think I paid close to $1400 for the set of four including the alignment, mounting, other fees and tax so I had better get more mileage out of them than I did on the OEM Toyos.
I just put Conti DWS06 Plus tires on my new company car. Nissan Rouge. BIG improvement over the stock Falkens. When our 2023 CX-5 Turbo needs it's first set right now I'm leaning towards the DWS06 Pluses again too.

Very happy with new Falken AT/Trail 19" tires but I do a lot of unpaved road driving.

Back