Bumper paint repair question (CX-5 2016 UK)

Hello,

Got scratch and mark on my bumper (CX-5 2016 UK) - and family member (former ChipsAway franchise owner) who said he will rub, prep and spray it back to what it should be.

I’ve not asked him yet, but thought I’d try on here first - does anyone know if there is a specific spray to go for or colour?

Thanks

The paint colour code should be written on a placard on the driver's side door jamb. But, you can also post a picture here or tell us what general colour it is, and I'm sure someone will be able to identify it with the proper colour code. In any event, if your family member used to run an autobody repair franchise, they would also probably know how to find this info and source the correct paint. (y)

Thanks!

Here are some pictures

Attachments

• 8384E2BB-80E4-4431-81A0-E12638534733.jpeg
    8384E2BB-80E4-4431-81A0-E12638534733.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 73
  • BE5A62F7-1FDE-4163-9D85-8157378E8891.jpeg
    BE5A62F7-1FDE-4163-9D85-8157378E8891.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 71
It's a bit difficult to tell from the photos, but if those scratches are on the black plastic parts of the bumper, they are not painted and there is no official paint colour that would match. You would need to replace the whole bumper for a factory match (ugh, I know).

However maybe your paint friend could find a "nearly" matching semi-matte paint? Dunno.

If it's just the black trim strip I surly wouldn't replace it. A reasonably close paint match by somebody with professional experience would not be noticeable except under close scrutiny. "But I'll know it's there" personalities might be bothered by a slight variation. I tend that way but you gotta draw the line somewhere especially if somebody with experience is going to do the job for free or for cheap.

Body colored parts are a different matter. A pro body shop would custom adjust the OEM paint to match the vehicle and feather/blend an overspray into adjacent undamaged panels. There can be differences in paint lots between the original and an OEM repair batch or the vehicle may have faded. The repainted part might stick out like a sore thumb even if only in certain light if the matching / overspray steps are not taken.

Back