Funky Battery filler caps

The caps are threaded with a rubber/nitrile type gasket. The top notches are small and hard to turn and the gasket is installed dry so they are very stuck the first time you unscrew them. I used pliers to get the going. My bat acid level we about 3/4 inch below the collar bottom. I also put a tiny amt of silicone lube on the gasket for future ease of removal. Hope this helps someone.

If you think that the filler caps are funky then try to fill it with distilled water, which is even more difficult since the level is not easily visible.
I noticed that too. Question is - does it hurt to overfill them?

I noticed that too. Question is - does it hurt to overfill them?

I believe so, they have a max level to account for expansion of the fluid during use. If you do happen to overfill, you can use a turkey baster or other similar syringe to remove the excess - just be sure to clean it well or throw it away afterwards.

well, the battery levels were low ! had to put 8oz
of distilled water in total for all cells ! Got it filled
to high mark as best as I could tell... it was easier to
shine light into hole and gauge height of level
from top than from the outside... maybe need
brighter light..

well, the battery levels were low ! had to put 8oz
of distilled water in total for all cells ! Got it filled
to high mark as best as I could tell... it was easier to
shine light into hole and gauge height of level
from top than from the outside... maybe need
brighter light..

Yep, when I filled the cells on my original battery for my CX-9, I had to put in about 300 ml (10oz). Unfortunately it didn't help, I think I had left it unchecked for too long. I need to make it a habit to check the battery levels every time I do an oil change.

I'm still on the original OEM battery in my 2016.5 CX. Never had an issue, or even a hint of an issue, and I've never checked the water levels in the cells. I guess I'm going to have to check em now after this thread. I guess I had better check the MX too while I'm at it.

I believe so, they have a max level to account for expansion of the fluid during use. If you do happen to overfill, you can use a turkey baster or other similar syringe to remove the excess - just be sure to clean it well or throw it away afterwards.
I wouldn’t try to remove any excessive electrolyte if I ovetfilled the cell. If you do, you actually reduced the acid content of the electrolyte which isn’t a good practice. Just like you don’t add acid when the electrolyte level is low as doing so will increase the acid content which isn’t good for the chemical reaction. Only water in the electrolyte evaporates.

I'm still on the original OEM battery in my 2016.5 CX. Never had an issue, or even a hint of an issue, and I've never checked the water levels in the cells. I guess I'm going to have to check em now after this thread. I guess I had better check the MX too while I'm at it.
depends on the climate as well. Where I am its very hot most of the year. The level goes below min in about 2 to 3 yrs and I suspect that is why the bbatteries die here fast. A reason I now have real AGM and removed the oem. Dont want to mess with liquids anymore. Had my fare share in the past. With that said in other places I lived up north where it rarely got hot, after 3 yrs the level has not went down much and I could get 5-6 yrs easily out of a battery.
Driving the car longer time (not distance) and state of charge of the battery also plays a big role.

depends on the climate as well. Where I am its very hot most of the year. The level goes below min in about 2 to 3 yrs and I suspect that is why the bbatteries die here fast. A reason I now have real AGM and removed the oem. Dont want to mess with liquids anymore. Had my fare share in the past. With that said in other places I lived up north where it rarely got hot, after 3 yrs the level has not went down much and I could get 5-6 yrs easily out of a battery.
Driving the car longer time (not distance) and state of charge of the battery also plays a big role.
Yes my youngest daughter lives in Texas it seems they are real lucky if they can get a battery to last much longer than 3.5 years.

I meant to post this the other day. I know, off topic but very entertaining!

If' you've never seen Here Come The Mummies then you're in for a treat.

Seriously, watch this entire video. I promise that it will put a smile on your face, especially when you get to the Cow Belt part (@3 mins).

Mummy Rock, crank it up!

We've seen these guys three times in concert. VERY entertaining!!!!

Sorry, I can't help myself. If you like the above, you need to see this one too.

Last edited:
the battery side cover (the black plastic) has 2 openings. One that is visible from the engine side and one from the rear. The case of the battery is translucent. Put a flashlight from the rear and check then level from the side.
I couldn't get a reading no way, no how. I tried it in the garage, outside on a partly sunny day, with the flashlight behind the battery and without the flashlight. When shining a flashlight into a plug hole the level is hard to discern.

So I just used the first cell plug as a dip stick--added a little distilled until the bottom tip of the plug (screwed back in) was damp. I reckoned that had to be above the plates but still leaving some air space above. I'll be sure to post if the battery blows up. ;)

By the way, ditto on the needle nose pliers. Hold vertical, squeeze. turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: Are the cells in these batteries connected? And if so, why six plugs?

I raise the question for two reasons. 1) The high and low fluid level lines on the left side run the length of the battery. How does that make any sense if the cells are independent? 2) After I added enough water to the first cell to dampen the bottom tip of the plug, the other five cells showed the same level which seems more than coincidental.

I only got into this because the engine startup seemed a tad sluggish back in January cold weather. With the guesswork involved I can't tell whether it needed topping off or if it's just getting weak after 3 years. During this exercise I was thinking about how absurd it is to top off a battery in this day and age. It must be cheaper to make than a sealed battery.

It’s funny. I’ve changed every type of automotive fluid I can think off, yet have never (in 30 years of driving) never added water to my car battery.

Clearly, it’s a “me” issue and something I probably SHOULD be doing…
Sealed batteries have around for long time. You may not have had to top up a battery because the ones you had were sealed. I cannot recall the last time I had a battery that wasn't sealed, OEM or aftermarket, maybe the OEM in my 1996 JXi, or my 1988 Camry before that.

Sealed batteries have around for long time. You may not have had to top up a battery because the ones you had were sealed. I cannot recall the last time I had a battery that wasn't sealed, OEM or aftermarket, maybe the OEM in my 1996 JXi, or my 1988 Camry before that.
Not all sealed batteries are maintenance free and doesn't mean they're not vented. Quite a few of them you can "unseal" just by removing the label and prying off the caps.

Call 'em sealed, unsealed, or whatever. If I can pry the tops off I do so and after a few years have to add some water. I don't want the tops of the plates to be exposed above acid level. If the battery label states to not remove tops then I don't.

Not all sealed batteries are maintenance free and doesn't mean they're not vented. Quite a few of them you can "unseal" just by removing the label and prying off the caps.
Well, just because it is possible doesn't mean it is necessary or advisable.

I've never found the need to open a sealed battery. I end up replacing them after about 5 years as a precaution though they have more life in them. You guys do realize that sealed batteries are constructed differently and some do not have a water component at all.

Are the cells in these batteries connected? And if so, why six plugs?
They’re connected electrically. Each cell is in its own isolated acid cup. Kind of like the old flashlights with multiple D cells; they connect electrically, but are isolated the chemistry from on the the next (until they leak). Hence a separate filler for each cell. I guess one cell could need filling while the others don’t, but I’ve never seen that in my experience. It’s always been if one’s low, so are the others.

I guess one cell could need filling while the others don’t, but I’ve never seen that in my experience. It’s always been if one’s low, so are the others.
... if a cell is degraded, then it might have lower electrolyte than others.

Back