Funky Battery filler caps

What is it with the funky battery filler caps. Do you need a special tool to take them out? Tried one time to do it to check the water level but no luck?

if trying by hand , it wont work. At least on mine. Had to use a small adjustable wrench the first time. also make sure the area around the caps is clean of dust. I used compressed air first then wiped everything.

this is where I attached the wrench.

06CFC483-5096-4BD0-A86F-81658A4C4A83.jpeg

well, the good thing is those batteries can be serviced and last long enough if done properly. They are "masked yuasa" which is a good brand. Its rare nowadays to find new replacement battery that has easy access to the caps. Try with tools and it would work out.

well, the good thing is those batteries can be serviced and last long enough if done properly. They are "masked yuasa" which is a good brand. Its rare nowadays to find new replacement battery that has easy access to the caps. Try with tools and it would work out.
Not sure why you said the factory Panasonic battery used on the CX-5 the “masked Yuasa"? I believe Panasonic and Yuasa are 2 independent battery manufactures in Japan.

0802E37E-7E64-4A54-A421-AE77BF70ECB9.jpeg

If the filler caps are too tight, I just use pliers to open them.

I didn't know this either.

Oct 29, 2015

GS Yuasa to buy Panasonic's lead acid battery business for $250 mln. TOKYO, Oct 29 (Reuters) - Japanese battery maker GS Yuasa Corp said on Thursday it had agreed to buy Panasonic Corp's lead acid battery business for about 30 billion yen ($250 million) as the electronics giant aims to focus on lithium-ion batteries.

I have to wonder who made the batteries in the 2016 and 2016.5 model years?

It's only natural that funky filler caps are made in Funky Town.

Won't you take me to, FUNKY TOWN!

Crap, now I'm going to have that tune running around in my head all day long.

It could be worse, I guess. It could be that stupid song about leaving a cake out in the rain...

If you think that the filler caps are funky then try to fill it with distilled water, which is even more difficult since the level is not easily visible.

the battery side cover (the black plastic) has 2 openings. One that is visible from the engine side and one from the rear. The case of the battery is translucent. Put a flashlight from the rear and check then level from the side.

Caps can be twisted off with a small pliers. I usually use a small 3 oz paper Dixie bathroom cup with a few ounces of water in it at a time. Cells shouldn't be "filled", just to the bottom of where the fluid touches the cell filler hole. Distilled water only. Might need a small mirror to see the back cells.

Well I used a pair of needle nose pliers to get those caps off. So I overcame another manufacturer anti DIY joy! By the way all the cells were low but over the plates. Now they are all filled! I'll have to keep a closer eye on them.

Last edited:
thanks for the info in this thread... I didn't realize the battery had
to be filled. I'm sure mazda hasn't looked at the battery level either
every time I've brought it in for service.

I guess these battery caps just pull out ? they don't have threads correct ?

I'll try putting a flashlight behind the battery like cz5gt suggested.
since putting light on the engine side didn't reveal any level.. not
unless the level is so low it's not showing up.

thanks

ok , thanks for the info , I'll get my needle nose, small
dropper, distilled h20 and flash light ready for high
maintenance project !

It’s funny. I’ve changed every type of automotive fluid I can think off, yet have never (in 30 years of driving) never added water to my car battery.

Clearly, it’s a “me” issue and something I probably SHOULD be doing…

It’s funny. I’ve changed every type of automotive fluid I can think off, yet have never (in 30 years of driving) never added water to my car battery.

Clearly, it’s a “me” issue and something I probably SHOULD be doing…
Well it depends on weather you have a maintenance free battery or not. My batteries generally last for 7 or 8 years. But I thought after not checking it all summer checking would be cheaper than a new battery/

Back