Guide Infotainment issues? Slow booting? Rebooting? Sluggish performance?

Yeah, I did everything with the engine off and coated the contacts several times pressing in and out many times. I've never updated the card from my date of purchase. I'm not sure now that it's out of warranty I can still use the ToolBox, but something to try.

@ceric...$50 sounds alot better than $400 (yikes!).

There's a limit of three years on the 'free' map updates, so your SOL on this.

SD cards have a lifespan limit? It's purely an electrical device with no moving parts. If the device isn't being constantly removed and reinserted, how does it wear out? Do the electrons get tired and refuse to cooperate or what?

I have SD cards that I use in my cameras that are several years old and have been removed and reinserted many a time. They work perfectly and show no signs of wearing out.

YMMV
Yes they do, but only if they are constantly being written-to. The cells eventually fail. There are some fail-safe protection mechanisms, spare cells, blocked cells etc, but all will eventually after many 10's of thousands of writes.

However, none of that explains why a Nav card would fail in a couple of years :)

SD cards have a lifespan limit? It's purely an electrical device with no moving parts. If the device isn't being constantly removed and reinserted, how does it wear out? Do the electrons get tired and refuse to cooperate or what?

I have SD cards that I use in my cameras that are several years old and have been removed and reinserted many a time. They work perfectly and show no signs of wearing out.

YMMV
All magnet storage devices like Hard Drives, SD cards, SSDs etc. have a lifespan (referring to storage ability not the physical card material) There is a limited amount of read / write operations that the sectors can withstand before beginning to fail. This has always been the case. As a computer or device user, you are unaware of the maintenance the system does by mapping out tiny sectors that become unusable. The system just works around them.

An SD card in something like a camera is going to have very light read/write usage and will probably last as long as the camera.

All magnet storage devices like Hard Drives, SD cards, SSDs etc. have a lifespan (referring to storage ability not the physical card material) There is a limited amount of read / write operations that the sectors can withstand before beginning to fail. This has always been the case. As a computer or device user, you are unaware of the maintenance the system does by mapping out tiny sectors that become unusable. The system just works around them.

An SD card in something like a camera is going to have very light read/write usage and will probably last as long as the camera.

If we were talking about magnetic storage devices, I would agree with you., we're not.

SD cards, along with SSD's (do you know what SSD stands for? Solid State Device) do not use magnetism to store date, they are solid state and use a different technology for storage of information.

If we were talking about magnetic storage devices, I would agree with you., we're not.

SD cards, along with SSD's (do you know what SSD stands for? Solid State Device) do not use magnetism to store date, they are solid state and use a different technology for storage of information.

Oh geez.. I apologize if I improperly used the term 'magnetic' The POINT of the post was that the devices have a limited amount of read / write operations before they start to fail..

I appreciate your correction.

"Almost all modern memory cards can withstand at least 100,000 Program/Erase Cycles, and some cards can withstand as many as 10 times more cycles than standard cards. What this all means is that, according to the card manufacturers, you could fill a memory card every day for a couple decades without having any problems."

... according to the card manufacturers ...
I don't really have a dog in this hunt, but, here it goes lol ...

I'm certainly not a card manufacturer just a humble user of equipment that utilizes these micro SD cards and USB drives that do a lot of read/write ... Dash cams, video cameras, audio mixing panels. All the cards (various brands) I've put in these devices fail eventually in all of them. I don't know the inner workings of how or why, nor do I care really. I just replace them as needed and go on with life.

My real world experience is that 100% of my SD cards fail at some point. Some have lasted years, some last less but they all die eventually. In my experience.

Your mileage may vary 😁

Thanks for the info in this thread. My system kept rebooting. At first it was more prevalent in cold temperatures. Then it got worse and was constantly rebooting every minute or so. I removed the NAV SD and the reboots have completely stopped. I can finally use Bluetooth again, but obviously no Navigation anymore. I am now looking to upgrade the module so I can use Apple Carplay. Now on the hunt for the updated firmware.

"Almost all modern memory cards can withstand at least 100,000 Program/Erase Cycles, and some cards can withstand as many as 10 times more cycles than standard cards. What this all means is that, according to the card manufacturers, you could fill a memory card every day for a couple decades without having any problems."
So they claim....
The micro SD card in my dash cam just got replaced with a new one.
It stopped working. (read/write error)
The new one works perfectly as expected.

Had it on my '16 Mazda6 for about 5 yrs, which is my commute car.

Last edited:
This cured my problem on my 2016 CX-5 with the infotainment system, I removed the SD card and not even bothering to reinstall it. My XM radio works fine with out the SD card. I plan on leaving the SD card out moving forward.

I'm like a little kid, feel like my 2016 is a brand new vehicle now. No problems with the infotainment display shutting down after I pulled the SD card. Thank you for all the help everyone.

If you guys have the CX-5 with 10.3inch WIDESCREEN make sure you update your Mazda Connect
with the latest Firmware as most of your issue will be gone.

It is very easy to do, but you MUST message me for the genuine Mazda Files and instructions.
EU03 10030 for Europe/UK and Australia/NZ
NA03 11048 for North America, Canada, etc (also for CX-9 with Widescreen)

If you guys have the CX-5 with 10.3inch WIDESCREEN make sure you update your Mazda Connect
with the latest Firmware as most of your issue will be gone.

It is very easy to do, but you MUST message me for the genuine Mazda Files and instructions.
EU03 10030 for Europe/UK and Australia/NZ
NA03 11048 for North America, Canada, etc (also for CX-9 with Widescreen)

Why MUST they message YOU first?

Can you not post instructions here for all to see?

Back