New CX-90 Video Update (12/26)

I remain hopeful, but based on distilling all the other industry comments it sounds like it will come down to the following engine configurations:

The PHEV will be a Mazda built Toyota 4 cylinder engine/transmission, similar to their rear drive configurations. Probably functional and efficient, but not thrilling. However it will be reliable, as was the Mazda built Ford V6 in the old CX-9.

The NA I-6 will be a mild hybrid, probably 48v. Mild hybrids are somewhat pointless, with marginal efficiency improvement and limited performance improvement.

The third configuration will likely be a turbo I-6. Good performance, but a gas guzzler so volume will be capped.

I was hoping for the modern NA I-6 in either a full hybrid or PHEV configuration, but will probably be disappointed. Such a combination would have leveraged the modern I-6 engine for performance with hybrid drive for really good fuel efficiency.

Guess we‘ll find out for sure by the end of January…

Yeah, the teaser shots at the 4:28 mark look sharp. Was also surprised to see that the CX-70 is going to be roughly the same size as the current CX-9. I hope they give the rear seat passengers more room and more recline. I use my CX-9 almost exclusively in the 2 row configuration with captains chairs. Great for long road trips and hauling things.

I remain hopeful, but based on distilling all the other industry comments it sounds like it will come down to the following engine configurations:

The PHEV will be a Mazda built Toyota 4 cylinder engine/transmission, similar to their rear drive configurations. Probably functional and efficient, but not thrilling. However it will be reliable, as was the Mazda built Ford V6 in the old CX-9.

The NA I-6 will be a mild hybrid, probably 48v. Mild hybrids are somewhat pointless, with marginal efficiency improvement and limited performance improvement.

The third configuration will likely be a turbo I-6. Good performance, but a gas guzzler so volume will be capped.

I was hoping for the modern NA I-6 in either a full hybrid or PHEV configuration, but will probably be disappointed. Such a combination would have leveraged the modern I-6 engine for performance with hybrid drive for really good fuel efficiency.

Guess we‘ll find out for sure by the end of January
I don't see like that. Based on the above video, my guess is the mainstream engine will be an inline 6 turbo with the output similar to Australian I6 (~280hp) and will account for 60% of the sales.

Than we will have a PHEV with Mazda's own I4 engine, similar to the one in Europe, maybe slightly better performance/battery size which will account (forecast) for 20% of the sales.

Top engine will be the high output I6 turbo, whether it will be a twin turbo (I don't think so) or any other variants which imo will top out somewhere around 350hp. This one will account for 20% sales.

Again, its all speculation but within a month we should be able to know more.

This person on Reddit doesn’t post very often but has mentioned in the past that he works at Mazda Corporate office in the US. Assuming he has the latest info, we would be looking at ~380hp for the high output inline-6.

I’m not a speculator I work at Mazda corporate. The PHEV is in our marketing because electrification is in everyone’s marketing and we’re behind at the moment.

The PHEV will have about 320hp whereas the performance model will (according to the latest communications they’ve given us) produce around 380hp

That will be pretty neat. Now a man can only hope that they will shove that power train into a sedan/hatchback.

There are some "rumored" Mazda 6 pictures (I don't believe them!) that look amazing. Some are the 6 wagon and that care would be amazing with a twin turbo inline 6. But I doubt it would sell!

There are some "rumored" Mazda 6 pictures (I don't believe them!) that look amazing. Some are the 6 wagon and that care would be amazing with a twin turbo inline 6. But I doubt it would sell!

Yeah, fake rumours. A Mazda engineer told that they're large platform was not designed for a sedan as it sits too high. For me its kind of mind boggling that they developed a scalable new platform only for SUV's without even considering a future sedan on it.

Yeah, fake rumours. A Mazda engineer told that they're large platform was not designed for a sedan as it sits too high. For me its kind of mind boggling that they developed a scalable new platform only for SUV's without even considering a future sedan on it.

It's disappointing, but doesn't boggle my mind when you look at sales figures and what other manufacturers are doing with sedans.

Id be interested in an inline 6 cyl Mazda 6 with AWD, wagon especially...I just don't know how many other buyers are.

HP numbers seem close to what I thought @ ~375+ based on the competition's figures. IMO, Mazda is probably limiting the variants for their powertrains to avoid proliferation and by extension limit R&D, Warranty, overhead and certification cost...etc. but still meet mass market sweet spot.

Back