A CX-5 in This Freezing Weather

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Southwest Airlines are totally screwed, and this CX-5 got stuck on the icy road?

5CBB230C-5E0B-4B29-86CD-D1CD5FCC2B4C.jpeg

I found out the freezing point of the fuel cap to the filler tube is about 9 degrees F after a day of heavy rain. It turned OK but did not want to let go. I am glad I had a quarter tank and time to sit in the sun.

Speaking of cold weather... I just got back from a 2,000-mile road trip in my '21 GT-R. I'm glad I'd replaced the tired OEM battery beforehand, because we drove into the deep-freeze weather front just as we came across the state line into East Texas. It was unbelievable, hit a huge ice-blast headwind & dropped 3 MPG. Next morning in Dallas it was about 9F & the car started & performed flawlessly - was so grateful for the heated seats & steering wheel. Also, unlike my 1.5L CR-V which preceded the CX-5, the Mazda's 2.5L engine has heat to spare, and was giving good cabin heat.

December 20-25 it was -30 here in southern Ontario. From Thursday to now it has been a high of 16 with more double digit weather this week. No snow, only rain and thunderstorm warnings.
Welcome to Canada where you can get all four seasons in one day.

Speaking of cold weather... I just got back from a 2,000-mile road trip in my '21 GT-R. I'm glad I'd replaced the tired OEM battery beforehand, because we drove into the deep-freeze weather front just as we came across the state line into East Texas. It was unbelievable, hit a huge ice-blast headwind & dropped 3 MPG. Next morning in Dallas it was about 9F & the car started & performed flawlessly - was so grateful for the heated seats & steering wheel. Also, unlike my 1.5L CR-V which preceded the CX-5, the Mazda's 2.5L engine has heat to spare, and was giving good cabin heat.
Wait, what?!?! OEM battery was bad less than 2 years old?

Wait, what?!?! OEM battery was bad less than 2 years old?
good catch; i had read it as OEM tires for some reason (maybe since everyone is always replacing them?). 2 years is a short life for a battery, methinks :unsure:

Yes - the almost exactly two-year-old OEM battery. I'd noticed sluggish starter turnover and mentioned it to our mechanic. His tester gave it a passing grade but with a "replace" caution. I decided to wing it after having put it on a charger/reconditioner overnight. After the first night on the road, having sat outside in 40°F temps, the starterwas definitely struggling. Since we were going to hit the super-cold weather later I found an Advance Auto & they took care of it.

Back