CX-60 Low Battery Risk (12v)

:
CX60 Exclusive
I’ve had 2 instances today when I switched off the car today that I got a loud warning saying there was a low 12v battery risk and I should start the car.

And the warning wouldn’t go away until I started the car.

I’d been driving normally, lights were on, occasional need for windscreen wipers, one heated seat.

I had 55% 48v left in the first instance and in the second instance I’d done a few miles with the ICE running.

First time I left the car on with my daughter in the vehicle when I nipped into a shop. Second time, at home, I turned the ignition on without the brake pedal depressed and switched off shortly afterwards and the annoying alert didn’t reappear.

Has anybody had similar or knows the reason.

Its worth reading some of the threads on here

I seem to recall that error code being mentioned before and some of the forum members looked into it it and seems Mazda have fitted a ridiculously small capacity 12v battery which can't charge quickly enough from the 48v supply, so you get an error warning.

I havent had that yet, but I imagine I will soon as Ive had all the other common issues

Its worth reading some of the threads on here

I seem to recall that error code being mentioned before and some of the forum members looked into it it and seems Mazda have fitted a ridiculously small capacity 12v battery which can't charge quickly enough from the 48v supply, so you get an error warning.

I havent had that yet, but I imagine I will soon as Ive had all the other common issues
It’s happening at the end of almost every drive.

It’s a 6.5Ah battery IIRC, which is tiny, as you say.

And that forum is an interesting read!

Last edited:
It’s happening at the end of almost every drive.

It’s a 6.5Ah battery IIRC, which is tiny, as you say.

And that forum is an interesting read!

6.5ah! thats close to a kart battery.

Yeah, theres certainly some common issues appearing and quite regularly, apart from the one character who is convinced its the best car in the universe despite all the issues, everyone else is having serious MPG/battery range issues amongst other stuff.

6.5ah! thats close to a kart battery.

Yeah, theres certainly some common issues appearing and quite regularly, apart from the one character who is convinced its the best car in the universe despite all the issues, everyone else is having serious MPG/battery range issues amongst other stuff.
My e-bike has 5 ah!

CF421622-44FF-400B-98BC-7AF38B575E78.jpeg

This means it takes 20 hours to fill or empty the battery at that rate, its not Amp-Hours as i wrote. (12/60Ah)
To be honest I’ve no idea what that spec means.

It states 6.3Ah/20HR. If HR stands for Hours (which it shouldn’t since the h stands for hours) and it should read as 6.3A for 20h that would indicate a capacity of 126Ah.

Looking up a Q85 battery results in 65 Ah spec.

I’m baffled Mazda quoted what they did.

Anyway, it’s with the dealer so let’s see if they can fix it.

I think there is a slight misunderstanding about the two 12 volt batteries in the CX-60.

The page from the owners manual that @SteveMilner posted , shows correctly that for the main 12 volt battery it's a Q-85
The line below that refers to the 12 volt backup battery that's located inside the cabin I believe, if you read the text marked with *3

I think there is a slight misunderstanding about the two 12 volt batteries in the CX-60.

The page from the owners manual that @SteveMilner posted , shows correctly that for the main 12 volt battery it's a Q-85
The line below that refers to the 12 volt backup battery that's located inside the cabin I believe, if you read the text marked with *3
I’ll bow to your superior knowledge. Thanks for helping clear this up.

It’s not entirely clear though.

Didn't fix this - Problem has come back - I've put a cigar lighter type voltmeter in the car and there's nothing wrong with the battery voltages - Go figure.

If you measure in the cigar plug, you do not measure on the battery (backup) which causes problems

I've got the same problem now. I charged my 12v battery last night thinking that would be it but the fault reappeared after one very short journey. I had no idea there was a second backup 12v battery. Anyone know where it is?

I've got the same problem now. I charged my 12v battery last night thinking that would be it but the fault reappeared after one very short journey. I had no idea there was a second backup 12v battery. Anyone know where it is?
In Passenger Side Footwell Kick Plate area. read post #2 in this tread.

Had a look there but couldn't see anything obvious. Will see if I can get behind the kick cover this time. Not a lot of space there so must be small.

Back