2013~2016 i-Activ AWD CX-5 Impressed me in Northern MN

:
Minnesota
:
'16 Touring AWD
Just wanted to say that my 2015 Touring AWD system really can conquer some of the worst snowstorms of the season in Duluth, MN, and all the way up to Houghton, MI. Multiple trips, no slippage, which of course was aided by winter tires, but the amount of times I was able to pull off from a stoplight while Subarus (VERY common around here) were slipping and struggling during our 12+" snowfall events was quite something. I have a feeling Mazda's system gives an advantage over older Subarus because the system can detect the approach angle, which in Duluth can have a grade as high as 25.5%. If you're having any doubts coming from Subaru, no need to worry!

F2A67781-EA48-43A0-8283-3D912CECF47E_1_201_a.jpeg

you might be onto something about the approach angles, but i have a feeling a lot of subaru drivers don't run winter tires unless they have to (i know some who do run winter tires of course).

After a historic blizzard (8th largest recorded in the area), which started with freezing rain, then to only be dumped on with 2 feet of snow, the CX-5 took me places that trucks weren’t making it, let alone Subarus. The traction control system kept me in-line with where I wanted to be… “confidence inspiring” is definitely the right words for it.

apparently forgot to ask earlier, are you running snow tires? i assume yes.
I run Blizzak DM-V2’s. Not sure how they compare to the WS-80/WS-90, but I have a hard time complaining about them. I might try Nokians next time, but so far I’m impressed! This is my second winter on them.

I too run Blizzak DM-V2’s (on a 2016.5 CX-5 touring AWD) and it is a snow beast. I would say it is the most stable and confidence inspiring vehicle I've driven in the snow. IMHO

I've owned a 1996 Mitsu Eclipse Turbo AWD, 2000 Subaru Outback with LSD, 2012 Subaru Impreza, 2012 Subaru Outback, and my favorite CX-5 AWD.

I ran the best snow tires I could get on all of them (excluding Hakka's).

The 2000 Outback with LSD was the best going through deep, wet, slippery snow, by a significant margin, just because of that LSD. I pulled snowmobiles with this and the 2012 Outback. The open rear diff of the 2012 was significantly worse in snow when towing.

I did 1 to 1.5 hour one-way trips to work with these cars, on county highways, with significant ice and snow (Wisconsin).

The 2012 Impreza was the most stable at too-high-for-conditions speeds in blowing/drifting 6" deep snow (it is highly front-wheel biased).

I preferred the CX-5 over all of them due to the ability to drift the rear end out when I wanted to. I would not say it has the best traction, it's still an open diff.

I've owned a 1996 Mitsu Eclipse Turbo AWD, 2000 Subaru Outback with LSD, 2012 Subaru Impreza, 2012 Subaru Outback, and my favorite CX-5 AWD.

The 2000 Outback with LSD was the best going through deep, wet, slippery snow, by a significant margin, just because of that LSD. I pulled snowmobiles with this and the 2012 Outback. The open rear diff of the 2012 was significantly worse in snow when towing.

I did 1 to 1.5 hour one-way trips to work with these cars, on county highways, with significant ice and snow (Wisconsin).

The 2012 Impreza was the most stable at too-high-for-conditions speeds in blowing/drifting 6" deep snow (it is highly front-wheel biased).

I preferred the CX-5 over all of them due to the ability to drift the rear end out when I wanted to. I would not say it has the best traction, it's still an open diff.
To be fair, I am coming from a second hand (free) Nissan Altima with all season tires. My family drove sedans with all season tires growing up in the area. AWD + Winter tires coming from FWD and all seasons is pretty mind blowing. I can’t imagine things getting better, but maybe with more experience I will. Glad to hear others feel the same way about the CX-5 on Blizzaks though. :)

Had a VW Passat 4Motion (AWD) some years back, and ran a winter set of rims with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2.

Lasted three long winter seasons, before grip began to decline. But that first couple of seasons, the Hakkas were, bar none, the best dedicated snow tires I've ever experienced. Snow grip was, quite simply, nearly that of dry grip of an "average" all-season tire. (Wasn't, by the end of the third season I'd run them, but still.) Very capable icy/slushy grip. Definitely not the equal of a decent summer or 3-season tire, when in the hot and dry, but for a winter tire it was stellar. I'm assuming Nokian's newer R5 series are every bit as good.

I'm currently running the Nokian WR G4 SUV, on the CX-5. I'd rate them as ~90% of the grip of the Hakka tires, but with the added feature of a 60Kmi tread life warranty and being able to run them all year 'round. Very good tire, if one's attempting to avoid the need to have a second set of tires (and wheels).

Through this cold front that most of the nation is facing, doing great up here. Started with a few extra cranks yesterday at -15 F without windchill, and this morning at -10 F without windchill. Engine sure sounds angry in the morning to warm up the catalytic converter and my MPG is definitely down regardless of the remote start, but it’s had no complaints otherwise.

Back