CX-5 Cabin air filter on Amazon?

Well well thanks for the clarification; document updated.

So is there a correct part for the factory charcoal activated one?
PP-T20 MP111KD47 doesnt seem to reveal an actual part number in my Google foo thus far.
No, there’s no info on part number for factory charcoal activated cabin filter. And the exact cabin filter is not available at least in US market.

The nice thing about choosing a filter at a brick and mortar store is that you can get a better feel for the filter's quality. I have seen quite a few with filter media that looked kike it was shedding. Needless to say, I stayed away from those. Wix and NAPA Gold filters are my favorite aftermarket ones. None are $8 but that's perfectly okay for me, since the higher quality filters get changed every year or two (but no more than 12,000 miles). The extra cost for quality ends up being very little per month.

What year is your CX-5?; they don't say they are compatible with the 2020 model year.
Mazda CX-5 has been using the same cabin filter since 2013. Many venders simply are too slow to update their database to make 2020 MY CX-5 in compatible list.

You could remove the OE filter and take it in the store with you to see how they compare.

I know I a reviving an old topic but it's been pretty much a year and 10000 miles (16000 km) since I got my car. Mazda Canada says it needs to be replaced every 2 years or 24000 kilometers, but Montreal is so dusty that I know I have to change it.
I also got this: EPAuto CPJ6X. It seems to be the cheapest filter with active carbon. Everyone seems to be happy with them, so fingers crossed.
After you replace the filter yourself, do you tell the dealership not to replace it? I wonder what their reaction is. (Assuming you get the car serviced at the dealership, of course)

After you replace the filter yourself, do you tell the dealership not to replace it? I wonder what their reaction is. (Assuming you get the car serviced at the dealership, of course)
Yes, told the dealer. They were completely indifferent. I replaced the engine air filter as well.
My son's 2016 Mazda 3 uses the same cabin air filter as my CX-5. I just showed him how to replace both filters. It took about 10 minutes to do both.

I know I a reviving an old topic but it's been pretty much a year and 10000 miles (16000 km) since I got my car. Mazda Canada says it needs to be replaced every 2 years or 24000 kilometers, but Montreal is so dusty that I know I have to change it.
I also got this: EPAuto CPJ6X. It seems to be the cheapest filter with active carbon. Everyone seems to be happy with them, so fingers crossed.

Yeah, just tell them next time your car goes in for service so that they don't try to upsell you on the replacement. Also keep a running log of the parts used, the receipts for those parts, and the dates services and inspections were performed to keep the warranty intact. I usually just make a note on my phone, and then update my physical log book periodically.

Last time I was in for an oil change, the techs now video the state of the car, undercarriage, etc. As part of the he took the filter out (supposedly) and showed how dirty it was, suggesting I should get it changed. At the service mgr desk paying for the oil change, he asked if I wanted the filter changed or pass. The price was $90 (for a $20 filter)! I said no thanks. Amazing markup, given the tech had already taken it out and put it back in (supposedly).

Last time I was in for an oil change, the techs now video the state of the car, undercarriage, etc. As part of the he took the filter out (supposedly) and showed how dirty it was, suggesting I should get it changed. At the service mgr desk paying for the oil change, he asked if I wanted the filter changed or pass. The price was $90 (for a $20 filter)! I said no thanks. Amazing markup, given the tech had already taken it out and put it back in (supposedly).
I got three of those filters on Amazon on sale 3 for $19.

It's frustrating that most manufacturers don't reveal the efficiency of their cabin filters. Since you're buying it for just the one purpose, wouldn't it be nice to know how well it does that? I went with Bosch, it's a true HEPA quality filter at 99.97% efficiency and filters particulates down to 0.3 microns which is equal to the air quality in a hospital operating room.

It's frustrating that most manufacturers don't reveal the efficiency of their cabin filters. Since you're buying it for just the one purpose, wouldn't it be nice to know how well it does that? I went with Bosch, it's a true HEPA quality filter at 99.97% efficiency and filters particulates down to 0.3 microns which is equal to the air quality in a hospital operating room.

Thanks for that link, I just ordered one.

Yeah I've used the Bosch since I've bought the car. It does reduce the airflow quite a bit, so you sometimes have to use a higher fan speed than you would otherwise use, but for me it's worth it for a better filter that lasts a longer time.

With that efficiency rating did you notice any reduction in your air flow?

I would say that is accurate.

The fan is less powerful because the HEPA filter material is much denser than a standard cabin air filter.

I use it because it is a heavier duty filter. I just use a higher speed setting, and rarely need to use max fan speed. AC works fine.

With that efficiency rating did you notice any reduction in your air flow?
There is a slight decrease, but I couldn't detect it by sound or feel. I have a handheld anemometer and mounted it 3" from the center dash vent with the blower on high.

The oem filter, which I would say was medium dirty, registered a peak air flow of 14.5 mph.
No air filter at all registered a peak air flow of 15.3 mph.
The Bosch HEPA filter registered a peak air flow of 13.2 mph.

Personally, I think the improvement in air filtration is worth a 1-2mph penalty over the stock filter and without the use of a digital meter I would have guessed they were equal.

Last edited:

You're in a car, outside. As soon as you open a window or open a door, there goes your hospital operating room clean air. Not to mention that the CX is not airtight.

The filter is there, not to protect you, but to keep junk from entering the HVAC system.

YMMV

Back